newly pregnant in Adelaide, any advice on good doctors etc needed please

Guest Dale

Hello,

On Tuesday I went to Fulham medical centre, the doctor did a urine test and confirmed I am pregnant (fantastic news)

I asked him what I need to do and he told me I need to contact the Womens and childrens hospital, which I did. They then told me to contact the SA pregnancy helpline to get a reference number. Got my reference number, had to phone them back. They then scheduled an appointment for the 04/01/2011 and said I need to go to my local GP straight away to check how far I am etc. As I dont have a GP (did not want to go back to Fulham) they said I should go to a doctor on Military Road.

Went there today with hubby, I told her the whole story and alL she did was give me a pamphlet on being pregnant and said I must wait until my appointment on the 04/01. I told her that I was in a car accident on Wednesday (hit from behind) and she never checked me out (did not even get out from behind her desk)

So now we are confused, it is our first pregnancy and not sure if it is normal that my 1st proper check up is only going to be in January. Is this normal?

If anyone has any advice, it will be greatly appreciated!!! Also need to rey find a doctor, preferably near West Beach for checks later on.

Thanks

Dalene

Guest shella_n

Hi

Im afraid I cant give you any advice on how it works in Australia but for both my kids I wasnt seen by anyone until I was about 10-12 weeks pregnant. Not sure how pregnant you are but if only newly pregnanyt (which is sounds like you might be) then beginning of January doesnt sound too bad for me.

How bad was the car accident you had? Im no expert but in the early stages of pregnancy it would take something pretty serious to harm the baby as its so well cushioned in there - I heard once of a skydiver whose parachute never opened when she was newly pregnant (and didn't know it) and she fell through the sky, hit the floor and the baby was ok.

I guess you could get a blood test done to check your HCG levels are where they should be.

I know its frustrating but until you get to the 10-12 weeks stage they just arent that interested (in the uk anyway).

Sorry ive not been much help - just wanted to reply to your post. Please feel free to PM me with any questions that you may have re the pregnancy.

Best wishes

Michelle

Hi Congratulations!! :)

Have to agree - the first 12 weeks the baby is developing into a bean so there is not a lot they can tell you other than guess when your due date is, for both of mine I was 7 weeks pregnant when I found out and all I had to do was the pregnancy test, they did nothing else to confirm at that stage.

Just relax, take time to start looking after yourself as the 1st 12 weeks are the most vital!

Start reading up on things as you'll have all sorts of questions - write them down and go in gang handed for your 1st visit!!

Good luck xxxx

Thank you so much for the advice! Feel better now that I know it is normal!

Dont have anymore pain from the accident (think just had a bit of whiplash the 1st couple of nights) so all good.

Thanks again

Take care

Dalene

Guest Konyvesfamily

Hi

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy. I had a baby in Adelaide 6 months ago and found the care to be very good, although it was a bit confusing initially compared to the NHS in the UK, where I had my first baby. I had to arrange for all my blood tests/scans etc myself and like you, I initially visited a GP but you in fact don't need to see a GP at all (unless you really want to). In the end, my GP had no involvement at all in the process. The Women and Children's Hospital was fantastic. I was on the Midwifery Group Practice scheme, where you are under the care of one midwife throughout your pregnancy and it is this midwife who will deliver your baby (as far as this is possible - you get a backup midwife just in case!). I would really recommend this as I very rarely had to go to the hospital for appointments - my midwife came to me. This would save you having to trek to North Adelaide each time you needed to see your midwife. Don't worry about not having an appointment until around 12 weeks - that's normal and it's the same in the UK. They can't really do anything until then.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy. I had a baby in Adelaide 6 months ago and found the care to be very good, although it was a bit confusing initially compared to the NHS in the UK, where I had my first baby. I had to arrange for all my blood tests/scans etc myself and like you, I initially visited a GP but you in fact don't need to see a GP at all (unless you really want to). In the end, my GP had no involvement at all in the process. The Women and Children's Hospital was fantastic. I was on the Midwifery Group Practice scheme, where you are under the care of one midwife throughout your pregnancy and it is this midwife who will deliver your baby (as far as this is possible - you get a backup midwife just in case!). I would really recommend this as I very rarely had to go to the hospital for appointments - my midwife came to me. This would save you having to trek to North Adelaide each time you needed to see your midwife. Don't worry about not having an appointment until around 12 weeks - that's normal and it's the same in the UK. They can't really do anything until then.

Good luck.

How do you get onto the Midwifery Group Practice Scheme please?

Guest guest3462

My experience has been a little different, we were offered a dating scan at 6 weeks then had all the blood tests (I just dropped into the local IMVS for these!) I was called back by my gp for the results and my ob appt was a few days later! We are booked into flinders medical centre and I am recieving my antenatal care at Noarlunga hospital. I have only seen a midwife once, for the initial booking appt all others have been the obs dr. I am seeing them every 4 weeks until I deliver. I have had 2 scans so far and have another at 32 weeks. This is my 3rd baby, 1st in Aus!

I am however considered a high risk pregnancy due to a blood disorder which I found out about during this pregnancy, but really there will be no complications - just a little bit of extra special care! lol

Overall we are pretty pleased with the care offered by the flinders team so far, 12 weeks to go til B-day!!! :-)

Good luck with your pregnancy. Get your feet up and enjoy all the rest you can get!

Julia xxxx

Guest Konyvesfamily

Hi Jorose,

if you choose to deliver at the women's and children's hospital it should be offered as an option if you are considered low risk. I know it's very popular though so you need to put in your request at your first appointment ideally.

I've just got into the Midwifery Group Practice through Womens and Childrens - really pleased about that and I think I consider it to be my absolute best option here - sort of like community midwifery practices in the UK but with the added advantage of more or less being certain you'd get your named midwife. I know that's not a dead cert but as you get to know the team I am happy with that. I am also far happier with the idea of midwifery led care than obstetric medicine - happy to see an ob if there's a prob but don't generally agree with that kind of care as a rule unless there's a complication or high risk.

Agree there's not much to be done in the first trimester (haven't even been to the Dr), just went straight to the WCH and after the first booking appt there's no need for another appt till around 16 weeks or something.