Asthma medicine

Liz and Kris UK

Hiya all,

I wonder if anybody can help me. I am a bit confused about the prescription of medicine, as I was told the medicine I take for my asthma Singulair (Montelukast) was not avaliable on prescription like it is in the U.K I will have to pay into a private scheme. Has anybody else found this? also does anybody know if they have a pre paid prescription certificate scheme like they have in the U.K I did try and ask in the summer when I was over but the man didn't really understand, however I had bombarded him with lots of questions!

Thanks

Liz

Guest Libby1971

Hello

I am in the midst of this one at the moment and although I don't have much to say on this right now, I will have more as I work it all out.

No medication is free. You pay for everything, it all goes into Medicare.

Basic ventolin is available over the counter - you go in and it is like buying medised for the kids, no problem (sorry that should be no worried, shouldn't it?).

However, anything more needs a prescription. I have been told about the PBS - Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme which is when you spend a certain amount on meds, it automatically triggers a limit after which they cost less. I am not sure if this needs to be applied for though.

I will let you know how I get on and this may be of help to you.

Libby

I talked to a pharmacist when we hadn't long been here about the PBS - Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme - if I remember rightly you apply in 1 chemist you then get all your prescriptions from the same 1 and collect all the receits and they fill a your form in then like libby says when you hit a certain amount you get it much cheaper :).

In regard to the singular I know they def do it here but it is quite new. A Dr in the hospital told me to ask my GP about it but as it was new my Dr would have had to apply for it. When I spoke to my Dr she was very much of the opinion that it wasn't right for my daughter (Maybe it was becuase it was too much hassle - but I don't think so )

Hope this helps a little bit, stock piling is what I did before we came and I have had family bring me extra as well:p!!!!! (just remember the use by dates get your medication from a chemist with a high turn over)

Guest Libby1971

Okay, news update

The year runs from Jan to Dec and if you spend up to $1000 or just over that, from then the PBS kicks in. If you have a concessionary card, which I don't, the rules and amounts are lower.

I have just had a prescription for 2 inhalers. Getting one of each cost $61.40!!!!!!

I couldn't believe it. I can't afford to have asthma here, there has to be something else so I am about to make enquiries.

My hubbie said he doesn't mind as much as he thought because

a) what can he do anyway

b) okay, more expensive but you see a doctor when you want to and don't wait ages and ages when you go to hospital.

Oh, apparently these inhalers are subsidised by the govt so we don't spend more than $30.70 on an intem. I can't imagine daring to get a prescription if I had to spend much more!

And I stockpiled from the UK. I brought a box with me of meds for me and kids. When it came to going through customs, they opened that box (the only box) and asked for an inventory. I have only run out of inhalers now and I have been here 6 months.

Libby

Hiya all

I can't believe inhalers are that expensive! are they in gold? my pre paid card here costs 30 pounds ish every 3 months and i get a repeat of everything everytime. I might have to find a cheaper alternitive to the singular, although if meds cost that much we will reach the $1000 in no time!

Libby your husband is much more reasonable than mine, he said if it costs that much we will have to stay in the uk! I said he can can just do some more shifts at work to pay for it.

Wild child - how old is your daughter? I went on singular when I was 16 It was quite new to the uk then and I had to beg the doctor! it is very good much better then steroids, I have found anyway.

Liz

• 1 month later...

This is a good thread! Poms in oz recently had a thread stating that Doctor's generally prescribe the real thing (instead of generic) unless you ask for it and the generic brand - especially of ventolin was much cheaper. My daughter is on singular, seretide and another bronchial inhibitor. I will start praying she really is growing out of it before we hit bankfuptcy!

Liz

So glad I've seen this thread, think I'll start stocking up on my inhalers. Can ventolin be sent in the post from UK? does any one know what is the cost of ventoin to buy over the counter in Oz?

Tina x:unsure:

Asmol is the cheaper alternative to ventolin, ask your doctor to prescribe generically rather than by the brand you'll save a fortune

Guest philnjulie

hi all,

both the wife and eldest lad have asthma and we did stock up with inhalers before we arrived but can honestly say they have both improved no end wife uses ventolin half as much as she used to and lad cannot say when it was last needed probably 2mths ago have seen a massive improvement in both, better quality of life and air

regards phil

• 1 month later...
Asmol is the cheaper alternative to ventolin, ask your doctor to prescribe generically rather than by the brand you'll save a fortune

you can buy asmal cheaper alternative to ventolin at ANY chemist in Australia

Hope that helps

Kate

Ventolin is a prescription medication in Australia as all inhalers/tablets for Asthma. My daughter takes 2 puffers and singular. You dont pay for the full amount just a portion due to the PBS scheme, Google MEDICARE and it explains all of this for you

Kate

Wild child - how old is your daughter? I went on singular when I was 16 It was quite new to the uk then and I had to beg the doctor! it is very good much better then steroids, I have found anyway.

Liz

Sorry I haven't been on for ages I have just been looking over my hubbies shoulder and he doesn't look at medical posts!!!!

My daughter is 7, her asthma is mild but unpredictable so she had a couple of attacks last year out of the blue, that was when the Dr at the hospital said singular would be good for her:confused:. I suppose I am worried that long term steroids is not good for her she has been on them since she was 18 months. I know that the benifit out weighs the concern but I still don't like the thought of a life on steroids if something else that is not steroid based would work:unsure:!

Do you know if they normally prescribed singular for any particular reason? Or is it just a case of trying dif things?

Okay, news update

And I stockpiled from the UK. I brought a box with me of meds for me and kids. When it came to going through customs, they opened that box (the only box) and asked for an inventory. I have only run out of inhalers now and I have been here 6 months.

Libby

Hi Libby,

My daughter has asthma but Ive gleaned all the info on that from the posts on here, but dont know if you or anyone can help with this one? ...

I have got epilepsy and have to take medication twice a day called Keppra (thats the brandname). I'm just thinking if inhalers are that expensive Im guessing that my tablets will be much more? In the UK I know that asthma doesnt get you an exemption certificate for paying for medication but epilepsy does ( i know that seems unfair!) so i have luckily never had to pay for mine but do you know if epilepsy is exactly the same as anything else over there and if you have to have the medication regardless?

Im definately stockpiling now - (got a year to get my stash going!!).

Oh also do they mind you bringing that much medication into the country? I wont be taking mine in hand luggage - Id put all the stash in my suitcases? Would they notice it then? :err:

Hazel x

Hiya

I went on singular instead of the steroids as I had been on them since I was very young. The doctor said that they are taken together in some cases but I have been ok with just the singular. I am not sure if there is much alternative apart from different types of steroids so the doctor has said. Singular is normally prescribed to younger children, I do seem to be the oldest person I know of on them!

• 1 year later...
Guest squeaky

hi, I'm a UK GP. It shows you how much the NHS subsidises prescription charges as an inhaler in the UK cost approx £15 without the NHS's help

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi all

Just a few pointers regarding the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme. Not all meds are on the PBS, some are only available privately. They can cost as little as a few dollars or a few thousand in extreme cases. If available on the PBS, the maximum cost is $32.90. If you think you will need a lot of meds apply at a pharmacy for a 'Safety Net' application. When you reach the threshold, the prescriptions will then be reduced to $5.30 A family can all contribute to the one safety net, it dosen't need to be each individual. Just some things to look out for though - private scripts DO NOT count towards the safety net threshold neither do prescriptions dispensed in the '20 day rule' period so do not get your prescriptions dispensed too early.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Cheers,

Pesky Varmit

• 1 year later...
Guest stevenson

My daughter is 7, the asthma is mild, but unpredictable, so he had a couple of attacks last year, out of nowhere, that was when the doctor at the hospital said the group would be good for him. I think I am worried that the steroids in the long term is not good for him that he has had since she was 18 months.