Extra's cover or not

Guest MADTOM

Guest MADTOM

Does anyone know the basic cost of a Dental check up, and tooth filling and extraction?

I am trying to calculate whether it makes sense to get Extra's cover or just to pay for a check up for me and OH. (The Kids are free) :daydreaming:

Guest parko

Hi Madtom

i would check it out we have three boys one has got braces and it will cost in total$5500 ,i took the other two myself as mum was working they got three covers / filling cost near $500 and meself (dad) had two teth out cost $375, you say the kids are free what plan is that on ?

Parko

Guest MADTOM

Hi Parko,

Wow thats expensive... Have you got cover - if so did you pay any excess?

Pre school kids are able to use the school dental service free. Actually mine starts school in May so I guess I will have to then pay for him then (lols) No more sweeties!

Guest Nick11

Deffo get it..check up and clean=$160 without extras..$44 with extras. $2000 towards braces for each child. We all get a free pair of presciption sunglasses a year. We pay $75 a month and get more out than we put in. Daughter had 3 extractions and needles..I think it was about $300 but got it for something like $85. Physio should be $60 a time..we get it for $25.

Please please don't take for granted that the kids school dentist is any good..major problems can be overlooked as they are on a very very tight budget. I took my kids there..everything okay according to them..except my daughter has 6 gaps where adult teeth should be growing and there is nothing there!!! An idiot could have saw that. A clean and polish for my kids lasts over 45 mins of intense treatment..a polish at the school dentist takes 5- 10 mins max.

Guest MADTOM
Deffo get it..check up and clean=$160 without extras..$44 with extras. $2000 towards braces for each child. We all get a free pair of presciption sunglasses a year. We pay $75 a month and get more out than we put in. Daughter had 3 extractions and needles..I think it was about $300 but got it for something like $85. Physio should be $60 a time..we get it for $25.

Please please don't take for granted that the kids school dentist is any good..major problems can be overlooked as they are on a very very tight budget. I took my kids there..everything okay according to them..except my daughter has 6 gaps where adult teeth should be growing and there is nothing there!!! An idiot could have saw that. A clean and polish for my kids lasts over 45 mins of intense treatment..a polish at the school dentist takes 5- 10 mins max.

Hi Thanks for that.

£75 per month seems ok - Can you tell me who that's with please?:eek:

Have a look at Dentist, Dentists, Dental - Save Now on Great Dental Care | NobleDentist as well - theirs is a purely dental insurance plan (probably not worth it if you have extras but as a standalone, it might be) - apart from anything else, they do list on their website approximate costs for treatment.

Not used them but have heard good things about them.

Guest Nick11

We are with mutual community. We have recently taken out hospital cover as well..which now means all the dentistry for the kids is free. My daughter had a filling, clean,polish and some floride treatment..should have been about $300..it was free.

Hospital cover is about $110 more a month ..but well worth it for the peace of mind.

I was told insurance companies make a loss on extras cover..they make their money out of the hospital cover.

We are with mutual community and have standard extras cover/ ambo cover for around $42 a month.

Steph just had 2 wisdom teeth out and a molar under sedation. The aneasithist was $450 alone and $150 can be claimed from Medicare. The dentist charges were $840 and with our cover only had to pay around $400. We are also at opticians tonight and while the eye exam is free with medicare the glasses will have no costs to us!!!

Been good to have for us so far!!!