No that's not quite right Julia, you can choose not to (we pick and choose which ones we vaccinate with because we have ethical objections to the cell lines used in some - notably chicken pox and MMR). As long as you complete and get signed the Conscientious Objection form it doesn't affect your Centrelink award or any baby bonus etc. To get the second baby bonus payment the Objector form has to be lodged before they are 2.
Vaccination isn't compulsory here, and they don't "pay if you do, and withhold if you don't". You just have to be organised... :)
editing to add the info for anyone interested:
<H1>Eligibility</H1> from: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...t_eligible.htm
You may be eligible for Maternity Immunisation Allowance if:
Note: To meet the immunisation requirements your child must be fully immunised, on a recognised immunisation catch up schedule, or have an approved exemption.
- you make a claim on or before your child's 5th birthday
- you are eligible for Family Tax Benefit for the child (disregarding the FTB income test)
- you have care of your child for 35% of the time or more
- you meet the residence requirements
- your child meets the immunisation requirements - between 18–24 months old for the 1st amount, and between 4–5 years old for the 2nd amount.
YOu can get the form here: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...ction_form.pdf