hep b , chicken pox and rota virus vaccinations

capers1

Hi Wondered if anyone can advise re children's vaccinations. Ive had an email from a friend who has just emigrated to Queensland. She's advised me to get hep b vaccinations completed on my 4 and 6 year old before we leave the UK and get a letter from our current GP to say that both children have had chickenpox. Ive checked the imms schedule for SA and its the same as Queensland. Any advice or experience with this would be greatly appreciated Thanks Michelle PS Visa granted yesterday YIPPEE

Guest Trakki

You can either have the hep b done there or wait until you come over, had mine done after getting here, didn't cost anything, depends how long you will be in the UK as it tales a while to complete the course. Just told the practice nurse they had had chicken pox so 2 of mine didn't have to have it. Wouldn't worry about the rota virus, tink they only give it to babies anyway as that is when it is most dangerous. My advise would be when you get here and register with a GP, go see the practice nurse and she will advise you of what they need.

Guest kangomik

Get a letter from your kwack. otherwise they may have to have them again.

We have just gone through the same thing........................ ohh and the kids nearly got detention for not returning the slips in time :biglaugh:

Out of interest and on the subject of innoculations, girls here in Year 8 or 9 get the HPV innoculation at school. My daughter missed hers and I asked at our surgery if I could get it for her now, and was told it would cost about $500.

Anyway, I rang up the local council and they offer it for free for full time students at regular clinics, so if anyone else is in the same situation, contact your local council (not your doctors!!)

Another thing to add to my list :cute:

I had it in mind about medical records and stuff and would have son's red book with us when we fly over, but it'd help getting a letter from the HV/GP to clearly state. I can't see them objecting, I've had similar for myself going back a few years.

Guest kas17

Our GP here told us we dont need hep b as not a risk. You dont need to have these vaccinations, if you dont want them you can get a form from medicare and get a GP to sign it to say youo understand the risks

Guest Trakki
Another thing to add to my list :cute:

I had it in mind about medical records and stuff and would have son's red book with us when we fly over, but it'd help getting a letter from the HV/GP to clearly state. I can't see them objecting, I've had similar for myself going back a few years.

As long as their red books are up to date and signed etc you don't need any extra letter.

Guest guest3462
Our GP here told us we dont need hep b as not a risk. You dont need to have these vaccinations, if you dont want them you can get a form from medicare and get a GP to sign it to say youo understand the risks

This is true, but you need to be aware that if you don't fully immunise your child as well as the health implications there is a financial implication here too. Your child benefit varies if your children are fully immunised - you get more money from centrelink if they are totally up to date! (Only for permenant residents though)

No that's not quite right Julia, you can choose not to (we pick and choose which ones we vaccinate with because we have ethical objections to the cell lines used in some - notably chicken pox and MMR). As long as you complete and get signed the Conscientious Objection form it doesn't affect your Centrelink award or any baby bonus etc. To get the second baby bonus payment the Objector form has to be lodged before they are 2.

Vaccination isn't compulsory here, and they don't "pay if you do, and withhold if you don't". You just have to be organised... :)

editing to add the info for anyone interested:

<H1>Eligibility

You may be eligible for Maternity Immunisation Allowance if:

• you make a claim on or before your child's 5th birthday
  • you are eligible for Family Tax Benefit for the child (disregarding the FTB income test)
  • you have care of your child for 35% of the time or more
  • you meet the residence requirements
  • your child meets the immunisation requirements - between 18–24 months old for the 1st amount, and between 4–5 years old for the 2nd amount.

Note: To meet the immunisation requirements your child must be fully immunised, on a recognised immunisation catch up schedule, or have an approved exemption.

</H1> from: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/mat_eligible.htm

YOu can get the form here: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/files/ma_conscientious_objection_form.pdf

Guest kas17
This is true, but you need to be aware that if you don't fully immunise your child as well as the health implications there is a financial implication here too. Your child benefit varies if your children are fully immunised - you get more money from centrelink if they are totally up to date! (Only for permenant residents though)

Centrelink staff told me that they cannot withold payment if you dont have all the immunisations, you will receive the same benefits. As long as you have your GP sign your Conscientious objector form the finances are the same

Thanks Julia for post really useful. Congratulations on your new arrival.

Dont know if you remember but we had a conversation a while ago about health visiting in SA?? Im still non the wiser about job opportunites !! We have just got our 176 visa and so now i feel the pressure is on to try and find out more. Ive looked up health clinics to try and get some contact details so that i can email a child and family health practitioner but cannot seem to find any email addresses. I have emailed the Head of child and family community nursing at Flinders Uni, but no luck so far !! If you have any ideas i would be very grateful Bestwishes Michelle