Pregnant/recently given birth in Adelaide

Guest Hills Boy

Guest Hills Boy

OH is four months pregnant. Anyone out there currently pregnant or recently given birth in Adelaide? If so, what's your experiences of the Mt Barker/Flinders Medical Centre/Women's & Children's Hospital in Adelaide.

Thanks

Hills Boy

No but good luck. I was born in Prospect, North Adelaide however it have been closed now for 10 years. All the reports about the Womans and Childrens hospital have been good. Mt Barker should be OK. My wife have finally agreed to trying Oz out, we live in Nottingham. Mt Barker is one of the places she thinks she would like.

• 2 months later...
Guest sarah

Congratulations!

I am pregnant too! Many people have recommended the Womens & Childrens to me. They have said that if you have complications during the birth, they usually take you there anyway!

Guest zx6roo

I had my daughter at Flinders. Great place. If everything goes right they have a great room with a spa bath, TV etc. unfortunately I had a few complications so had to go down to the labour ward. Was there for 3 days but when my daughter was ready to finally come out I had about 20 ppl in the room from all the different shifts waiting to see what I had, lol. Talk about not being shy anymore, hahaha. Once you've given birth you go up the ward which is individual rooms just like a private ward :)

Didn't like the Womans & Childrens but that's not to say you will, and everytime I go the RAH I get some nasty diease.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sdeed

Hi,

I would love to know what your experiences are/were, your post says December so I imagine it's not long now...

I am moving to Adelaide in July with my (soon-to-be) husband, who has just accepted a job and we will be having our first baby in September. I know, not much time but reading everyone's replies has already given me a feel for who I should be contacting.

Thanks

Samantha

I work at the WCH, but on the kids side. The maternity part is nice,built about 10 yrs ago only if absolutely bursting at the seams will you have to share a room. The usual stay in hosp, post baby is 3 days. At the WCH there is also a birthing suite that is set up like a room, with only the midwives in attendance. If you choose this then the midwives also oversee your care. If your baby comes early, there is a NICU. Flinders also has a NICU and is a nice hospital, with lots of open space. It really depends where you live. They are both good. Don't know muchabout Mt Barker but a lot of these small hosps have closed their maternity wards and everyone uses the 2 mentioned or the privates.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Karen Marsh

Hi Samantha

Just thought I'd drop you a quick line as it sounds like we are in quite similar situations. I too am expecting, due early Oct. My husband, 4 year old daughter and I will be travelling to Adelaide in August (assuming my doctor lets me fly long haul at that stage of my pregnancy that is!). All very frightening and exciting at the same time!

Karen.

Hi,

I would love to know what your experiences are/were, your post says December so I imagine it's not long now...

I am moving to Adelaide in July with my (soon-to-be) husband, who has just accepted a job and we will be having our first baby in September. I know, not much time but reading everyone's replies has already given me a feel for who I should be contacting.

Thanks

Samantha

Hi,

I gave birth last week at the Women and Childrens hospital and was very happy with the care I received both during and after the birth. The delivery suite and the ward were very clean and modern with great views across the parklands to the hills. I have to say that this was the best birthing experience that I have had.

Wendy