Advise for Transplant Patient

Guest markv

Hi All,

We are going to do our meds in Jan 08 at the tudor medical centre in Nottingham my wife has had a Kidney Transplant 3yrs ago and everything is fine with her regards to health, but i was wondering is there anyone out there that has emigrated or in the process of emigrating with the same condition,and if there is any advise anyone can give.

regards

markv :D:elvis::jiggy:

Hi All,

We are going to do our meds in Jan 08 at the tudor medical centre in Nottingham my wife has had a Kidney Transplant 3yrs ago and everything is fine with her regards to health, but i was wondering is there anyone out there that has emigrated or in the process of emigrating with the same condition,and if there is any advise anyone can give.

regards

markv :D:elvis::jiggy:

I think it will depend on whether she is still on medication and if it's going to cost the ozzie tax payer x amount a year.I would have thought that as she had the op three years ago there is no risk of rejection.

We had our meds at tudor and the doc was fab - he gave us loads of info and the rules on ozzie meds.Although he can't technically pass or fail you (that's done in sydney)-he'll tell you what he's put down and what he anticipates will be the outcome.

Incidently hubby failed his meds on his x-ray - a slight scarring from chicken pox when he was young.Got a cat b.Never had a days illness in his life!

Hi Marky

The MOC (Medical Officer of the Commonwealth of Australia) will definitely want an up-to-date, recent report from your wife's consultant nephrologist, describing the results of whatever tests they normally do etc and giving a prognosis for the next 5 - 10 years.

The best thing is to get copies of as much as you can from your GP and take them with you when you see the PD.

Best wishes

Gill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sharonandjess

Hi

We emigrated in October and our daughter has had 2 heart operations in the UK she needs ongoing checks and possible future operations and it didn't affect our application she is registered here now for checks and no problems. The only concerns are usually if the applicant is on constant medication or requires considerable medical attention. Good Luck

• 2 months later...
Guest joy family
Hi

We emigrated in October and our daughter has had 2 heart operations in the UK she needs ongoing checks and possible future operations and it didn't affect our application she is registered here now for checks and no problems. The only concerns are usually if the applicant is on constant medication or requires considerable medical attention. Good Luck

We are emigrating to Adelaide in October with our son of 7 who has had open heart surgery. He too needs ongoing checks for the rest of his life and having received excellent care here in the UK I am alittle daunted at the prospect of moving his care abroad! Any advice and reasurance you could give me would be helpful.

Thanks Lisa

Guest Nick11
We are emigrating to Adelaide in October with our son of 7 who has had open heart surgery. He too needs ongoing checks for the rest of his life and having received excellent care here in the UK I am alittle daunted at the prospect of moving his care abroad! Any advice and reasurance you could give me would be helpful.

Thanks Lisa

Can only praise the health service in oz - yes there are often reports in the paper - but no more than the uk. Have found that when it comes to treating kids we have no worries.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Guest sharonandjess

Hi

You will have no worries, the Womens and Childrens hospital In Adelaide city carry out the checks they are very good and we had no problems, the more medical notes you can bring with you for your sons history the better just to help out with background etc. They have been very thorough with our daughter. Any future ops may need to be carried at at Melbourne though as the hospital only does major heart surgery on teenagers or adults. oh and there was no waiting here!