Dentist in Oz...

Guest SusieOR

Guest SusieOR

Just wondering if anyone can let me know if it is expensive to go to dentist in Oz?

I currently live in Ireland, nd it is quite costly so was wondering if it would be worth my while waiting to go???

Cheers

Sx :goofy:

Guest diesel tech

yes it is really expensive if you don't have private health cover. Don't know costs off hand but I'm sure someone who's been recently can let you know

Gary

Guest SusieOR
try a couple of fillings, root canal and a crown = around $3000.

A checkup, and clean is a few hundred dollars.

Wow... & I thought Ireland was expensive!!!!

Guest karyn1

OMG!!!:shocked:

Might just get mine pulled out and fitted with false ones before we leave!:biglaugh:

Guest BurgessFamily

good news is that you should be able to get the kids sorted for FREE, as long as it's preventative some dentist will waive fees.

Guest BurgessFamily
Might just get mine pulled out and fitted with false ones before we leave!:biglaugh:

If just got them removed and grew a mullet, you'd really blend in.:biglaugh:

Hi Susie , Yes dental treatment is expensive, but private insurance covers it, there are two components to private insurance , hospital which covers hospital and extras which covers dental ,optical, physio, chiro,and some others, have a look at medibankprivate.com.au or mutualcommunity.com.au. these are two of the largest companies, it will give you some idea of cover available. Medicare is the national health system we pay 1.5% of our taxable income to medicare, this covers us in public hospitals, public hospitals are good here but depending on the treatment required there may be waiting lists , so some feel the need for private cover Medicare also pays 80% of the scheduled doctors fee ,some doctors charge more than the scheduled fee, so you pay more, some bulk bill so you pay nothing, best if you find a doctor who bulk bills. my doctor charges $51 but medicare pays $35, so $16 out of pocket , thankfully i dont visit often. in my opinion extras insurance is necessary, hospital cover is optional , i suppose it all come down to money

Guest moonraker1959

I've just recently had all those,two fillings,yes root canal,and a crown,cost me £150.

Guest BurgessFamily

With regards to health insurance, including dental, a good option is to go with something like the 'extras' cover from Medibank.

This helps towards most things excluding hospital. For instance, with the 'Top Extras 55' cover for a family of 4 costs around $30 a fortnight, and you get 55% back on most 'items' up to a limit (usually over 12 months).

http://www.medibank.com.au/healthcover/insurance/extras-range/

Guest Nick11

Extras cover is very affordable and most families get back more than they pay into it. Last year 3 of us had prescription glasses..should have been about $300 each..got them for $25 each. Dentists are $170 for a check up, clean and polish..paid $44. Hubby needed physio..should have been $80 a time..got it for $25. Daughter had braces ..got $2000 toward the treatment.

We now have hospital cover as well..which works out about $100 a month more..kids get free dental treatement.Work out a $25 a week..price of a visit to maccas!!!!

Guest BurgessFamily
my last check up with a clean and 1 xray, $62

stevo

You should say if that's with insurance cover, as it's not really going to help people decide if or not to go with any kind of health insurance. ;)

Guest Guest5035
You should say if that's with insurance cover, as it's not really going to help people decide if or not to go with any kind of health insurance. ;)

Yes it was with extras cover through Mutual Community....

Stevo

Guest Guest5035

i guess this is without insurance, just incase people wondered....;)

stevo

Guest BurgessFamily
i guess this is without insurance, just incase people wondered....;)

stevo

Of course :goofy:. If you have insurance it would be less - our insurance reduces it by about half (though that would be just about our limit for the year). So I would definitely recommend insurance. The more you pay out in insurance, then the less you'd likely pay for treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows what the process and cost is for kids needing braces in the future. I have been looking at these messages and it has sent me into a panic about my kids for the futur.e. They are 11 ande 10 at the moment but looks like they might both need braces especially one of them but not quite ready yet so I am a little worried. Is there something I could do.

Thanks for any help

Marie,Alan,Amelia and Eva and Sammy dog