INR checks for Warfarin / anti-coagulants

Guest Dazzlin

Guest Dazzlin

Hi everyone,

We recently received our 176 visa and are making plans to move after Christmas. I was wondering if anyone on here is or knows someone who is taking an anti-coagulant such as Warfarin. I'm on this for life as I have a mechanical heart valve. Not a major drama but it means I need to have a regular 'INR' test - a simple finger-prick of blood on a hand-held machine (usually in and out of the medical centre in 5 mins).

Most GPs in the UK seem to have an INR clinic - can anyone confirm if it is as straight-forward in Oz as I currently enjoy in the UK? Also, will this be covered by Medicare?

Cheers

Daren

Guest domjcw

Hi Daren,

standard INR blood tests are covered by medicare, but as far as I can tell point-of-care versions (the five-minute ones you describe) are not covered. (See http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/33/1/6/9). I don't know how widely these tests are available in general practices in this part of the world. IMVS is one of the pathology providers, and I know that they have INR point-of-care tests. You could try contacting them to find out where the nearest centre to where you are going to be is. See http://www.imvs.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/sa+pathology+internet+content/imvs/contact+us/contact+us. They may be able to also give you some idea of the cost.

hope this helps

Dom

Guest Dazzlin

Dom,

Thanks - this is really helpful and very much appreciated. Hopefully there will be a simple solution. The UK is on the verge of self-testing so that might be the way forward.

Daren

Guest lisalou6

Hi daren,

Im also on warfarin. commenced in march of this year. its pretty easy to get ur inr checked out, but

i recommend you check out the rules in your intended city as it seems different everywhe u go. im living in adelaide.

initially after being discharged from hospital i was visiting my gp and he checked the inr with finger pricking, but he then gave

me a blood form that i can use to get it checked as an outpatient. fortunate for me though, i work in a hospital so i just get it done

at work. medicare have covered it so far, but not sure for how long this lasts for. The health system is very diffetent here compared to the uk.

hope that is of some help to you

lisa

Guest Dazzlin

Thanks, Lisa. We're going to be in one of Adelaide's suburbs so I presume the same rules apply. Given how often it has to be checked I hope Medicare will cover it or it's going to get damn expensive!

Daren

Guest panther
Hi everyone,

We recently received our 176 visa and are making plans to move after Christmas. I was wondering if anyone on here is or knows someone who is taking an anti-coagulant such as Warfarin. I'm on this for life as I have a mechanical heart valve. Not a major drama but it means I need to have a regular 'INR' test - a simple finger-prick of blood on a hand-held machine (usually in and out of the medical centre in 5 mins).

Most GPs in the UK seem to have an INR clinic - can anyone confirm if it is as straight-forward in Oz as I currently enjoy in the UK? Also, will this be covered by Medicare?

Cheers

Daren

Hi Daren,

I have been on Warfin since October 2009 following a slight stroke and after a couple of visits to the GP i now go to a blood testing centre at Marion and have a Monthly test and its fully covered by Medicare.

Then i ring my local GP who gives me the result and indicates what doseage you will need

The 50 tablets cost me $17.10 per bottle, thankfully my levels have remained steady for the past two years.

Just make sure your GP provides the paper work to have the blood tested at a blood testing clinic this saves a Doctors visit.

Hope this info helps you and any visiter to Australia who are on blood thinnng medications.

Panther

Fully Furnished Unit in the Marino area with sea views and local transport at your door.

Guest gypsy

Dear Dazzlin,

I work in IMVS and we do Point of care testing for INRs at some of our collection centres with rule-3 exemptions (i.e repeat tests covered in Medicare)

For further information speak to our customer care officer at IMVS. Given below is the link

http://www.imvs.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/sa+pathology+internet+content/imvs/for+patients

Hope this helps you.

Guest Dazzlin
Hi Daren,

I have been on Warfin since October 2009 following a slight stroke and after a couple of visits to the GP i now go to a blood testing centre at Marion and have a Monthly test and its fully covered by Medicare.

Then i ring my local GP who gives me the result and indicates what doseage you will need

The 50 tablets cost me $17.10 per bottle, thankfully my levels have remained steady for the past two years.

Just make sure your GP provides the paper work to have the blood tested at a blood testing clinic this saves a Doctors visit.

Hope this info helps you and any visiter to Australia who are on blood thinnng medications.

Panther

Fully Furnished Unit in the Marino area with sea views and local transport at your door.

Hi Panther,

This is the kind of thing I hoped would exist - simple blood test and then get the GP to dose you. Thanks for re-assuring me.

Daren

Guest Dazzlin
Dear Dazzlin,

I work in IMVS and we do Point of care testing for INRs at some of our collection centres with rule-3 exemptions (i.e repeat tests covered in Medicare)

For further information speak to our customer care officer at IMVS. Given below is the link

http://www.imvs.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/sa+pathology+internet+content/imvs/for+patients

Hope this helps you.

Thanks gypsy. I've just taken a look at IMVS' site. This is really helpful. I especially like that IMVS offers bulk billing as well!

Daren