Private medical insurance on 457 visa before arriving and RHCA Medicare.

Guest 1gmann

Hi All,

As i am just about to lodge a 457 application i believe i need to provide proof of insurance cover (along all my other docs) at the time of lodging my application, although i can't register with Medicare until i'm actually in Australia so do i need to arrange some private medical insurance BEFORE i enter australia on a 457 visa?

for information of the RHCA the immi.gov.au website states;

"If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501."

it just seems silly to me that i need to pay for medical cover that i will cancel within a week of arriving in Australia.

Thoughts please anyone?

Cheers!

Hi All,

As i am just about to lodge a 457 application i believe i need to provide proof of insurance cover (along all my other docs) at the time of lodging my application, although i can't register with Medicare until i'm actually in Australia so do i need to arrange some private medical insurance BEFORE i enter australia on a 457 visa?

Cheers!

Hi, we came over this year on a 457 and were told that we had to have some level of private medical cover to get the visa. We signed up on a family budget plan with the link below, paid the first installment with a UK credit card, then cancelled it as soon as we landed. It's just one of the many hoops that have to be jumped through, over or around, lol. Hope all goes well for you.

http://www.austhealth.com/

Paul

Hi Paul,

that's exactly what i thought i would have to do, and exactly what i was trying to avoid actually. But, as you say it's just another hoop that we have to jump through!

Thanks for the reply and i'll check out the link.

Cheers,

Gregg.