sunscreen

brucesbabe

Not usually, but we do have winter sunny days, and the sun can feel warm, but most people won't burn. However it is more the accumulated damage to think about and the length of time spent out in the sun in Winter. If you work outdoors, then perhaps yes on the bits which show on clear sunny days. If you use a facial moisturiser then get one with sunscreen in it.

I know we are SA not VIC, but same rules.

From May to August, when Victoria’s UV level drops below 3, most people need about two to three hours of sunlight to the face, arms, hands (or equivalent area), spread over each week. Seeking out the midday winter sun is the best way to achieve this. People with naturally very dark skin may need three to six times this exposure and supplements may be required. Sun protection is not required unless you are near highly reflective surfaces such as snow, are outside for extended periods or the UV level reaches 3 and above.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/sunburn_explained

I always use moisuriser with spf30 on my face, neck and top of chest all year round... no extra effort and so worth it. definitely don't fill cases with sunscreen from the UK though - it's a lot cheaper here! I usually buy a litre tub with pump each summer for about $10 from the supermarket/chemist for the beach/arms and legs when wearing summer clothes.

If you are not wearing long sleeved jumpers, jeans, gloves and hats then 'Yes'

I use it as a moisturiser after my morning shower and will continue throughout the winter. Got enough wrinkles and freckles already - don't need any more!

I usually concentrate on face, neck, shoulders and ears and don't always do legs (except top of feet) or lower arms. Don't always top-up later in the day unless we're on the beach or without shade for long periods.

I usually concentrate on face, neck, shoulders and ears and don't always do legs (except top of feet) or lower arms. Don't always top-up later in the day unless we're on the beach or without shade for long periods.

Yep, if you are of the beautiful, fair skin as I am, you still need to take a little care :) Cold spring days with sun need a lot more caution, though.

Just waiting for my freckles to join up!

Cooler

Yep, if you are of the beautiful, fair skin as I am, you still need to take a little care :) Cold spring days with sun need a lot more caution, though.

Just waiting for my freckles to join up!

Cooler

Well, I am a freckly red head so naturally have to be bit more cautious than some - Am liking the sound of those winter temps though !:smile:

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hpatricia

There is this song about sunscreens and how important they are to us, and listening through it will really make you think about its benefits. Well you could actually argue that it is exaggerated to fit the song well but I think that it holds some level of truth to it.

What do you guys think of it though, do you think it is that significant, at least how it benefits us?

There is too much covering up here in winter, peopel wrongky wear hats when they shouldn't. Vitamin D (?) deficiency is becoming a problem due to this. I am unsure if sunscreen blocks it out as well.
As much as i hate to agree with you.............your spot on this time

Guest Django

Yep they do say now that you shouldn't use anything stronger than f-30 as there were many cases of vitimin D deficiency. Its not just on sunny days you need to worry about. Its the UV levels you need to keep an eye on. It can be a cloudy day but you may well need to cream.

• 5 weeks later...