Investment Retirement Visa (405)

Guest KandC

I am about to apply to DIAC for my visa having secured SA Govt sponsorship.

My question is can I arrange private Australian medical insurance from the UK.

Any ideas as to the best insurer out there?

Any other retirees on this site?

Looking to come out there in Late September/October.

regards,

Kris and Chris

55 and (not allowed to say):D

• 1 month later...
Guest colette
I am about to apply to DIAC for my visa having secured SA Govt sponsorship.

My question is can I arrange private Australian medical insurance from the UK.

Any ideas as to the best insurer out there?

Any other retirees on this site?

Looking to come out there in Late September/October.

regards,

Kris and Chris

55 and (not allowed to say):D

Hi

We have just completed our 405 visa and are flying out to Adelaide on 19th May. We used medibank private essential and arranged it all online. We took out individual policies rather than the couple one as then you get your excess for each person rather than between you. I found the Yahoo BERIA:idea: group very useful, although they are mainly all 410 visa holders (no longer available) there are some 405 and they are all so knowledgeable about info for retirees. My husband, Chris, will be 58 and I will be 55 when we arrive. Hope it all goes okay. If you need any further info then please get in touch.

Cheers

Colette

Guest KandC
Hi

We have just completed our 405 visa and are flying out to Adelaide on 19th May. We used medibank private essential and arranged it all online. We took out individual policies rather than the couple one as then you get your excess for each person rather than between you. I found the Yahoo BERIA:idea: group very useful, although they are mainly all 410 visa holders (no longer available) there are some 405 and they are all so knowledgeable about info for retirees. My husband, Chris, will be 58 and I will be 55 when we arrive. Hope it all goes okay. If you need any further info then please get in touch.

Cheers

Colette

Thank you for the info. We have now gone with Medibank Essential, but the couple. We hope to arrive in September/October this year.

I sall check on the Yahoo group, thanks for the comments, good luck on your arrival.

I shall be 56 in May and Christine will is just 53. We are getting married in July, as it protects our pensions for each other, although we have been togther now for 6 years.

Where are you intending to settle?

regards,

Kris and Christine.

Guest alibongo

Congrats on the forthcoming wedding..we got married in July and had a fabulous day.. hope yours will be as lovely as ours !

Good luck also in OZ

Ali

Thank you for the info. We have now gone with Medibank Essential, but the couple. We hope to arrive in September/October this year.

I sall check on the Yahoo group, thanks for the comments, good luck on your arrival.

I shall be 56 in May and Christine will is just 53. We are getting married in July, as it protects our pensions for each other, although we have been togther now for 6 years.

Where are you intending to settle?

regards,

Kris and Christine.

Hi there

We are about the same ages as yourselves and will hopefully be moving to Adelaide at the end of this year. We are currently living in NZ (hubby is a kiwi) but daughter and son in law (also called Kris!) are moving to Adelaide from the UK in the next couple of months so we hope to join them this year. I was interested in the info about health insurance as we will probably need to take it out, so will follow this up too. Does your 405 visa allow you to become permanent residents eventually or is it one that you renew every few years? What made you chose Adelaide - do you have family over there? Have you been before? Hope everything goes well for the visa application.

Cheers

Mariane and Cliff

Hello Everyone

I hope that I am not hijacking your thread. (Please tell me to sod off if you feel that I am!)

I am trying to help my great friend L who has moved to Adelaide with her hubby and their young children. L works full time so she hardly has a moment to breathe with small children as well.

Our joint concern at the moment is L's parents. They can't afford an Investor Retirement visa but they are eligible for Contributory Parent visas and they could (just about) afford those. However, L's parents are not wealthy, would have to sell their house in the UK in order to raise the £40,000 or so needed for CP visas and would not be able to afford to buy even a unit in Adelaide. They would be reliant on a granny annex next to the house at L is currently looking for.

To see whether we can save the £40K, I am trying to find out about Aged Parent visas (non-contributory.) However, if they do that then L's Parents would be in Oz on a Bridging Visa for upwards of 15 years. There is doubt about whether the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between the UK and Oz would give them any help from Medicare, so I reckon that to be on the safe side, full private medical insurance would be required.

"The Benchmarik" for that if you like should be whatever an Investor Retiree would consider acceptable, I reckon, which might be more than DIAC require from the IR group?

I had a look at Medibank last night. I ticked all the top of the range boxes for safety and the premium quoted was around $300 a month for a couple. Is this about right, please, or have I got the whole thing hopelessly wrong? I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what a couple in their early 70s should expect to pay.

I would be immensely grateful for any guidance at all on this score.

Very many thanks

Gill

Hello Marianne & Cliff

Does your 405 visa allow you to become permanent residents eventually

At the minute, no, but there has been a recent announcement which I am following.

Kevin Rudd, the new PM, said recently that if people have shown commitment to Oz via Retirement or Investor Retirement visas, making their lives in Australia etc, he thinks that they should be allowed to become Permanent Residents, leading to possible Citizenship in due course etc.

My own elderly, widowed mother now has a Contributory Parent visa but it took us 13 LONG years to get that because of a complication with the Balance of Family Test when a stepchild is involved. Eventually that bit came right so Mum's CP visa was granted in 2006.

However because of our own headaches with these visas, I am convinced that PR in Oz should not be a lottery for anyone. It was so with Parent migration for Mum for far too long until a change in the legislation concerning step-children had an entirely un-intended effect on the Balance of Family provisions as well. We were simply VERY lucky that an accidental change in the legislation made migration to Oz possible for Mum.

What is different in your own case? Mum was eventually able to get PR based on where her children have respectively chosen to live. Is that not simply sheer coincidence of fact?

Mum chucked her children at the question, in effect. You are offering to chuck your money at the question instead. Where is the tangible difference between the two?

Here is an extract from a letter that the new Minister for Immi's offsider sent to a prospective Contributory Parent visa-holder last week:

The allocation of parent visa places within the Migration Program is a whole-of-Government decision based on the economic sustainability of importing an aged population.

Basically, if Retirees get PR then Retirees will also get Medicare. That is the sole, central costs-plank of the whole thing. Medicare encompasses anything even vaguely "medical" in nature, from Intensive Care/Residential Care in an old folks home right down to someone helping to clean one's home because arthritis or whatever means that the aged person cannot do it him/herself.

OK. If you have loaned enough of your children to Australia, it is a route to obtaining the benefits that the offsider is worried about.

So - if you have loaned enough of your money to Australia instead, what is the argument for treating you differently?

Isn't the real crux of the whole thing - with both visas - the business about, "the economic sustainability of importing an aged population." ??? Seems to me that it is?

What about the benefits that both groups bring to Australia? Why are those apparently not in the equation at all?

Mr Rudd has my firm vote on this one and I am hoping that he will deliver!

Best wishes

Gill