private health cover

brucesbabe

Hi!

I know there are lots of old threads on this subject but I was hoping for some up to date info.

We are a family of four on a 176 visa. Three of us are shortsighted, one of us needs a repeat prescription and we would like some sort of dental cover as I have heard how expensive dental treatment is. What is anyone else paying for cover and who with etc ?

Thanks

Lisa

PS Does anyone know the nearest bulk billing doctor to Hallett Cove and do we have to register first?

Guest Crushfamily

If you are on a 176 you get a year's grace after arriving before the Government loading kicks in. This starts at 30 and I think it increases 1 or 2% each year thereafter so if you taske it out before your year is up you don't pay the surcharge.

We're about to take out cover with Health Partners (www.healthpartners.com.au). They are a local, not for profit firm and have a good range of options for extras cover. We had a quote from Bupa as my OH gets a discount through work but it was still more expensive than with Health Partners. Plus my mother in law and brother in law have cover with them and were happy to recommend them.

Edited by NicF
Typos

Guest Kadphises
If you are on a 176 you get a year's grace after arriving before the Government loading kicks in. This starts at 30 and I think it increases 1 or 2% each year thereafter so if you taske it out before your year is up you don't pay the surcharge.

Hi - I was just wondering whether the government loading also applies to over 30s who are just moving to Australia. My OH is from Australia and has been away fro 10 years, I have just received Australian citizenship but have never lived there. We are both in our mid-30s. Does this mean we have to pay the loading straight off, or are we exempt as long as we get cover straight away?

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice would be great.

Hi - I was just wondering whether the government loading also applies to over 30s who are just moving to Australia. My OH is from Australia and has been away fro 10 years, I have just received Australian citizenship but have never lived there. We are both in our mid-30s. Does this mean we have to pay the loading straight off, or are we exempt as long as we get cover straight away?

My OH is in the same position. Your OH can get an exemption from the loading but will need to prove they were out of the country. You can do this by going to the DIAC offices in the city. They will give you a form to complete to request a list of all the times you have entered and exited the country for whatever period you want and then will give you the document on the same day. It doesn't cost you anything but your OH will need their passport. We did it the first week I was here and it didn't take too long as the office was quiet, but I'd recommend going early in the morning as it gets busier during the day.

Guest Kadphises

Thanks for the advice. So, even though I now have citizenship I wouldn't have to go through the DIAC office for an exemption?

P.S. I'm the him and the OH is the her :)

Thanks for the advice. So, even though I now have citizenship I wouldn't have to go through the DIAC office for an exemption?

P.S. I'm the him and the OH is the her :)

If you phone the place that you are wanting to take private healthcare with they will tell you what they need for you to gain the exception. I had to get a letter from Medicare basically to say that I've only just got Medicare cover. My OH obviously already had medicare cover so had to get the info from DIAC. You will probably just need the letter from Medicare, but it's worth checking with the healthcare place first.

Hi,

Just wondering how you have Australian Citizenship without living there?

From what I am aware even if married to an Oz a partner would need to get a visa and live in Oz for 2 years before applying for citizenship.

Would be very interested to know how you have managed to get citizenship by not living there.

Cheers,

Mis

Guest Kadphises
If you phone the place that you are wanting to take private healthcare with they will tell you what they need for you to gain the exception. I had to get a letter from Medicare basically to say that I've only just got Medicare cover. My OH obviously already had medicare cover so had to get the info from DIAC. You will probably just need the letter from Medicare, but it's worth checking with the healthcare place first.

Ah, thank you. That makes sense. Will do so when I move in November - very excited and a lot to think about. So, thanks again, any info like this helps loads.

Hi,

Just wondering how you have Australian Citizenship without living there?

From what I am aware even if married to an Oz a partner would need to get a visa and live in Oz for 2 years before applying for citizenship.

Would be very interested to know how you have managed to get citizenship by not living there.

Cheers,

Mis

I benefitted from the 2007 law change as the child of a former citizen.