Medicare query

Guest K.gordon

Guest K.gordon

Hi there,

My parents will be visiting for 2 months, will they be able to register for medicare for that time - they will also have their travel insurance for that period too?

Very confusing as I know the UK NHS is reciprocal in Australia but knowing what to/who to insure with is baffling?? :confused::confused:

Any information gratefully received.

Thank you

Kate

Guest markandcate

My parents came over for 6 months and they were able to register for medicare. They had travel insurance too but as they were here for a longer period of time they needed prescriptions for their daily tablets so had to see a doctor. They were going to be doing another 6 months here shortly and Medicare said they would get the same number, its just a temporary one. I think you are best asking at Medicare.

Cate x

yes they can register with medicare as the UK has reciprocal rights with australia. my parents live in spain and are unable to register with medicare when they visit as spain doesn't have reciprocal rights with australia.