Prescriptions...?

Guest Leanne

Hi all, we are moving over next year (Feb/march time) and I have a regular prescription that I can't do without.. what's the deal in Oz, I know that they don't have an equivalent NHS, how do you receive prescriptions, is it terribly expensive.. any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Leanne x

Hi Leanne,

You need to reg for a Medicare card asap and then find a doc. We looked online and found a bulk billing doc then you don't need to pay to see them. They just take down your Medicare number. Prescriptions are $35 BUT you can get it cheaper depending on what you need. I get my medication for $5.80 at the chemist warehouse shop in glenelg as its quite a low cost drug. It's worth shopping around! Chemist warehouse even text me to remind me to come and collect it every month! All very simple! All the best. X

Hi Josie, Thanks for the advice, I will register with Medicare, I take it you can just do it online.. do you have to live in oz to do this..? We hope to live fairly close to Glenelg (well on the coast north of Glenelg) so I could get my prescription from same place if they stock it... This forum is brilliant! Crickey, you are really new to Adelaide..12th sept... How are you finding it?

Leanne x

Guest Auspom 246

Hi Leanne,

I also have prescriptions from the UK and like Josie my doctor does bulk bills. So all I have to do is pay for the prescription at the chemist. When you first go to the chemist they may ask if you want a generic brand and this will cost less :D it is the same drug but under a different brand so not as expensive. I have 3 tablets that in the UK I had to go back to the doctors for monthly renewals but over here my doctor gives me a repeat for 5 months supply so I just take to repeat to the chemist at the end of the month which is much better. They also tell you when you are on your last repeat so that you can get a new one from the doctor.

Good luck on your move over.

Debbie

Guest Guest5035

price of prescriptions are a sore point with me, well they were, at first my blood pressure pills were $35 a month, after i changed my doctor to a ex pom doctor,i now pay $20 total for 4 months supply as i get the larger pill and cut them up,along with my cholestrol from $27 a month to $17 total for 4 months. Nova Chemist will match discount chemist warehouse.

stevo