Glandular fever - help!

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Poor Little Tyke is very ill with glandular fever - poor kid:sad:

The doc came out last night and confirmed it.

Unfortunately with it being a virus there is no real treatment apart from lots of rest/fluids/fruit and veg juices/painkillers.

Any suggestions on how to get her through it are very welcome.

Looks like it can hang on for a few weeks so any tips to help her recover are gratefully received.

Guest caoimhe

My wee one got it when he was 7, he was in hospital for 6 days, that was also due to dehyradation as we couldn't get him to drink anything and 3 GP's told us it was tonsilitis. It was only because I was worried sick that after 3 days at home and seeing the GP's I took him to the hospital.

He was on a drip for fluid and pain killers (I had to bribe him with a new playstation game to get him to allow them to keep administrating them). It was awful to see him in such pain. Apparently it is more common in teenagers hence it is nicknamed the "kissing disease", although my son at 7 wasn't amused at being told that as girls are YUK:embarrassed:

I hope little Tyke gets better soon, I remember it as a horrible week, my little one was in agony and asking mum to make it better and mum couldn't

I had it when I was 21. Took me out for about 3 months and still took a year to fully get over it. I blamed a very stressful job at the time and had to leave as a result. Some days, you haven't got enough strength to get out of bed - all your limbs ache and you just can't keep your eyes open.

Just be supportive, that's all you can really do and hope it's a mild form of the virus. :confused:

Hiya

Just to let you all know there is a very good website which we used to use when I worked for NHS Direct, which discusses illnesses, symptoms, treatments etc. I certainly have it bookmarked as it is very good reference with thinkgs like should I panic, what could this rash be??? etc, etc

www.NetDoctor.co.uk

Forgot to say if you click on diseases it gives you info on a variety of things A - Z

It may help

Lindsey:)

Guest mOZzy

oh no!!

both my oh and myself just had it and are recovering slowly!!!

my throat was killing me for good 2 days and i just couldn't eat or drink anything!!

oh had really high temp for 5 days!

so i really hope she gets over the worst soon!!!

just as you said lots to drink really (try different juices, teas, milk,) oh and icecream :P

all the best!

Guest Guest75

Ta you lot for the well wishes and offers.

Little Tyke is very ill but sleeping like a log at the moment (judging from the snoring)

Hopefully she will turn the corner tomorrow and be a little better.

She did manage to eat something this evening ( including half a Hot X bun Lea:notworthy:)

We actually think she had this before Xmas when she was really ill as well but then no firm diagnosis - unusual to have this twice.

Fingers crossed.:D

Guest Leanne & Mark

Poor lil tyke!!, i doubt shes had it twice if its glandular fever, doesn't it hang around for about a year?? Probably just reared its head again.

Nasty virus's we've all been ill too, Livvys not eaten a meal for about 3 weeks now!!

Mark has been ill for a few days with a fever, now he's got conjunctivitis and is really suffering!!! Mind you he's male so he must be dying!!!

Guest katsmajic

aww poor lil thing, its horrible, i had it aged 15, missed 6weeks off school, (that was good)

hope she makes a speedy recovery, being so young she should bounce back. xxx

Guest Guest75
Poor lil tyke!!, i doubt shes had it twice if its glandular fever, doesn't it hang around for about a year?? Probably just reared its head again.

Nasty virus's we've all been ill too, Livvys not eaten a meal for about 3 weeks now!!

Mark has been ill for a few days with a fever, now he's got conjunctivitis and is really suffering!!! Mind you he's male so he must be dying!!!

Sorry to hear that you have a sick houseful,best healing wishes wending their way up from Oz :):)

Little Tyke has certainly improved and got past the fever now,just very tired.

Guest Guest75
Why thankyou muchly....4 weeks now(!) our house as been a sick zone and we are still suffering...i've never known a virus like it.

Poor loves!!.

That's a long time to be ill:sad:

Have you tried taking Echinacea??

I'm not that much into alternative medicine but the doc advised Mrs Tyke to try some when she was very ill with flu a few years ago.

As you cannot use antibiotics to fight a virus anything is worth a try!!

Guest Guest75
Try Kombucha From The Health Store, Tastes Like Crap But Rebuilds The Immune System!!

Worked For Me When I Had It!!

Good Luck!!

Jo

Little Tyke is feeling a lot better now and up and about.

I'll have a look for the Kombucha. :)