vaccinations

speedygixer

hi all we are making the move in sep not long now!!!

we were wondering if our children need any vaccines for centrelink payments and schools etc are they the same as the uk? we are on the state sponsored visa indefinite!!

anyone know what type of payments sponsored migrants can expect like child tax credits etc same as uk?

any help would be much appreciated

tony and em

Afaik all you need is your red book to show what they have had and that they are up to date.

Chicken pox is vaccinated against in Aus so if they've not had it they may need to get a shot.

Have a read of this link

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/australian-childhood-immunisation-register

Can't help on tax credits but I am sure others will be along in a bit who can.

We weren't asked to show any proof that our kids had been vaccinated for school and weren't asked for anything for centrelink payments. We were supposed to be getting there vaccination status recorded by taking there red books to our doctors, but I'm not sure if my OH did it or not.

What visa are you on. Permanent residents can get family tax benefits if they earn below a certain amount, and/or help with childcare costs if you are both working. Temp residents don't get anything.

hi, both my 3 year old and 6year old had to have chicken pox vaccine and also had to have the course of hep B to get child care benefit and child care rebate, this is for child care etc, over 7 year olds its not applicable, depends on whether you need child care.

My kids UK preschool injections were all OK for here but they had to have a 3 dose course of Hep B (or maybe C I can't remember). Been here 3 years and I've never been asked for the red books - in fact the one time I presented them the doctor had never seen one (maybe because I'm in the north rather than surrounded by Brits in the south!! - see north V south topic).

in the uk £120 for heb b and chicken pox ..

:shocked: Are all vaccinations that much? I didn't realise you had to pay! :shocked:

And, whilst I'm being so nosy lol...what's a reciprocal Medicare card? Doesn't everyone from the UK get Medicare?

I neeeeed to know (please!)!

:notworthy:

Yours thoughtfully,

LC

We had to get our daughter vaccinated for chickenpox and hep B, no cost here though. In terms of Centrelink payments we claim family tax benefit and were told not getting the vaccinations could affect payments (not sure how true this was though).

It is true for under 7's, if vaccinations are not up to date you will not get the maximum amount of family assistance,also you cannot claim child care benefit or child care rebate, also at the end of the tax year if your child's vaccinations not up to date you will not get your family assistance supplements, also at age 4 your child needs to have a set of boosters and a healthy school check to keep up to date with the vaccination register. It can and does effect payments if you do not vaccinate your under 7's....

EVeryone gets a medicare card as far as I know if you are resident, kids do not have to pay for vaccines ( we never did when we were there) its part of the state requirements so they are paid for, the vaccines are pretty similar to the UK, and yes you will get child payments too just go to Centrelink and get some advice you will be entitled to something for your children.

By filling out a Conscientious Objection form you can choose not to go ahead with the vaccinations. Our son had already had chicken pox in the UK so we saw no point in having an injection here. Once completed and signed by the Doctor here your Centrelink payments will not be affected.

Sarah

Hi I have been trying to understand the reciprocal Medicare card

It has been bugging me so I tried looking it up. I am bowled over how people, like Snifter for example, seem able to understand all the info given on the immi websites :err:.

It was all too much for me :(

I think it must be to do with your visa class cos otherwise it seems that anyone from the UK can claim plain, ordinary Medicare under a reciprocal arrangement (ie. Australian's can get medical cover in the UK if they offer medical care to UK citizens) so I always assumed everyone who migrated here got it too.

See? I can't even make sense of my answer!

Maybe someone else can help us, Henley girl!

:smile:LC

I was not aware that anyone would ever be denied medical treatment by the NHS no matter where they were from or get charged from it, that is whats so good about the NHS we are very lucky in the UK.

Unfortunately things work slightly differently in Oz, Snifter can probably understand like me perhaps cause she has already lived or been to Australia a few times even then you don't fully understand it, you just use it when you need to if you are a resident in Australia you will get a medicare card so you can be treated, permanent or otherwise if you are on some kind of Visa I am sure it would apply to as long as you were living and working in Australia but I am not entirely sure as we have only ever been on residency visas. You will have to pay for medications for children too they have no set prescription fees like we do i the UK, you will have to pay to see a doctor after 4pm (this may have all changed but it was like that when I was there 4 years ago) xrays etc have to be paid for but medicare will pay a percentage of the cost, some things are not covered by medicare but if you find an understanding doctor they can sometimes find loop holes to get things under medicare that would not normally be under medicare. You have to pay for Dental for Children too no free dental either Im afraid it all has to be taken into account but its all insignificant compared to the much better lifestyle you can have over there and when you do get medical or dental treatment it is so much better than the UK. Lots of people in Oz have private medical insurance and go private, I personally don't think it necessary as the mainstream hospitals in Australia are superb but really just depends on the individual. Just to let you know too you will pay around $800 for an ambulance too if you do not have SA AMbulance insurance so I advice you to get this as soon as you can. Get in touch with Medicare on this email address medicare@medicareaustralia.gov.au to find out what you need to know. Hope this helps you a bit , best of luck

It has been bugging me so I tried looking it up. I am bowled over how people, like Snifter for example, seem able to understand all the info given on the immi websites :err:.

I think it must be to do with your visa class cos otherwise it seems that anyone from the UK can claim plain, ordinary Medicare under a reciprocal arrangement (ie. Australian's can get medical cover in the UK if they offer medical care to UK citizens) so I always assumed everyone who migrated here got it too.

Lol, I've just had to do lots of reading on different things and stuff like this crops up. Also yeah, been to Aus a few times so sort of aware of reciprocal care etc.

Some visa types, if I read correctly (some temp ones) do have to arrange medical cover.

Reciprocal medical care say on a tourist visa is a given. However, if on holiday in the UK and having medical care for some reason, it gets claimed back from home country if there is agreement in place. So NHS care isn't 'free' per se, other country has to stump up your bill so to speak. And it would only be for emergency care, not anything else. Also you would not be covered for repatriation or anything. That required private cover.

Wow, I should have come back to this post earlier.

If you don't have pr, you have a reciprocal Medicare card. So if you are on a student visa, 457 visa etc. If you are on a 457 visa and from a country which doesn't have a reciprocal agreement in place then you must have health insurance as you get nothing through Medicare. For anyone on here from Ireland, they DO NOT have a full reciprocal arrangement. Worth being aware of if you come over on a temp visa.

I was on a reciprocal Medicare card for over five years. In theory it covers you for all emergency treatment, but in reality it covers you for most things other that elective treatments. I never came across anything that I wasn't covered for. They even let you have an eye test every two years. My husband could not claim for a chest X-ray when he had bubbly lungs after a long chest infection, as it wasn't actually needed. Luckily he did though as it showed a part collapsed lung, just before we did our medical for pr, so we knew his would get referred and didn't need to panic.

Guest Claire-n-tel
I think I'm getting it, finally... I already have a Medicare card, assuming I will be able to get one for the baby, but guessing that oh will need to get reciprocal Medicare card. Question is how/where to get the card? On arrival in Australia?

Hi Henley Girl!

You just go to the nearest medicare office, there is one in marion, fill in the form and they post you the card out, can't really remember now, it was a long time ago but i think you have to take your passport along.

Claire