Vitamin d deficiency.

Blossom

Am I imagining this? I never heard of one person in the uk being diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency. Not one my whole life. I know a few people here who either them or their children have been told they have it.

I just don't understand how when in the uk you can go to work in the dark, come home in the dark, and be fine. But here is is FAR brighter, probably more time outside, but people are told they are deficient.

Are doctors here looking for it more, or a bit to free and easy with their diagnosis?

Guest Adelaide_bound

There's actually a growing problem with vitamin d deficiency in the uk - rickets is on the rise again, (I knew this anyway from seeing it in a couple of schools I taught in (was initially totally horrified and wondered what deprived hell hole we had moved to, but turns out it wasn't a deprivation thing really.) And was literally just reading about it in the may issue of uk prima mother and baby mag.

I would think with skin cancer concerns it would be higher here, but know it's not uncommon now in the uk

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Corwin5

Hmm,,,Okay I am going to mention some foods which have a lot of quantity of vitamin D.

Cod Liver Oil.

Fish.

Fortified Cereals.

Eggs.

Mushrooms.

• 4 months later...

I used to be a doctor and as far as I'm aware sun lotion stops the uv rays from converting the chemical to vit D. Also skin colour/pigment can effect your absorption of uv rays and can lead to deficiency. I imagine there'd be a genetic component too! I'm no expert by far but thought it might help!

I have a family member who takes medication that "dissolves" bones.

They have just had another bone density test. Taking calcium supplements and exposure to sunlight help....lots of that coming up!!

There's a news article about brittle bone disease which is quite a shocker.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/low-bone-density-kills-3600-australian-a-year/story-fneuzlbd-1226774487387

TWO thirds of Australians aged over 50 suffer from brittle bone disease, with new analysis putting the true cost of the hidden epidemic at nearly $3 billion a year.

Every three minutes someone breaks a bone as a result of having low bone density, which was the underlying cause of death for over 3600 Australians last year.

As the population ages the prevalence of the condition is growing and so is the cost, with new analysis showing brittle bone disease that predisposes people to fractures, such as osteoporosis, costs $2.7 billion a year in ambulance, hospital, home help and nursing home costs.

Tamara

I was diagnosed with a Vit D deficiency here but never had in the UK - very strange! One minute we are told to cover up against the sun and my doctor told me off for wearing maxi dresses and said I needed to expose my skin to the sun much more. You can't win! Now popping Vit D pills... :smile: