MBF Group Health

suzer

You can usually sign up on line. The websites have the details of the various packages and what they offer and the waiting periods. If you have had private cover before, it's probably worth going into an office to see if they will accept that you are transferring from another fund or else you get slugged with an extra 2% for every yr you are over 30.

Guest philnjulie

hi

we are members of Mutual Community pay $188 per month for family of 7 got our first years payments back 1st time we went to dentists that was a bill im glad i didnt have to fork out for phil

Medicare doesn't cover you for dental, physio, podiatry, glasses etc. You can just get insurance to cover these extras.

If you earn over 50K a yr the government will charge you a higher tax levy if you don't have private health cover.

If you need emergency medical care then Medicare is fine, if you need a hip replacement or arthroscopy, there can be a long wait, which if you work for yourself can be a bit of a pain.

Medicare is fine for maternity, the public hosps are good. I think its a tradition here that if you can afford it you go private and choose your own obstetrician and hospital. It stems from the fact that medicare was only introduced in the 70s.

However if it's just more money going out the account, then just get the extras, there is nothing wrong with medicare.

Rachel

Guest caz and wayne

My future employer has insisted on us taking out private medical insurance as a condition of the 457 visa. They sent us a pack containing information which included policies from MBF and BUPA. I have just returned the forms and picked BUPA as it was slightly cheaper (around $380 dollars a month for a family) and it was a name we were more familiar with. You do get tax relief on the payments if you earn over a certain amount but our view was that if any of is really ill then we have the comfort of knowing that we are fully covered and can choose which hospital we go to and which doctor treats us.

Carolyn