A & E bill for visiting relative

Guest Lucky

Hi there. My Dad visited us from the UK for Christmas and needed a visit to Accident and Emergency while he was here (nothing serious). He has now returned home and we have received a bill from the hospital for $314. We were told by the hospital that there was a reciprocal arrangement with the UK and that there would be no cost.

Has anyone had experience of this and any advice on what I need to do. He didn't register for a medicare card while he was here.

Thanks,

I would query that as there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and Australia which means treatment to a British citizen in Australia is free, as it would be for an Australian citizen presenting in a public Ed department. The only costs that could be incurred would possibly be medication http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/reciprocal-he agreements alth-care-

Thanks guys for your advice. The bill is for a public hospital and he didn't need anything other than stitches, so it just refers to the A & E treatment. He didn't have his passport on him at the hospital. I will call medicare after the weekend and see what they say.

Thanks again, Sue

Hi,

My mum was also in hospital in december whilst on holiday here, she went through emergency, stayed in a day and had CT and MRI with no charge, so not sure why your Dad would get a bill? She did pay for drugs but that was only $50. They even mentioned as I booked her in at ED that there is a reciprocal agreement.

Cheers

Gill x

Gill, they said the same to me. I think its down to the operator that inputs the information....she did mention she didn't know how to enter his UK status into the computer!

Thanks again. Sue

• 2 weeks later...

hi! I'd ask with medicare...I live in the UK but was visiting my in-laws and managed to slice my fingers with a sharp knife at a BBQ. (Lots of jokes about Crocodile Dundee.."Thats not a knife" etc ). I had to go to Lyell McEwin for stitches and a tetanus injection. When I told them I was in Aus on holiday they said to check with Medicare because I would need the ststches removed etc before I flew home. I got a temporary Medicare card to cover my treatment whilst there.

The government web site states that if you receive essential medical care in a public hospital you will not be charged for the treatment or accommodation, just need to show your passport or reciprocal agreement card.

So maybe that not showing your passport was the problem. We had a similar thing when we went back to England for holiday, we had to send copies of our aus passport to Swindon hospital, even though we have British passports too, it's was because we reside in Aus. We now keep the letter they sent that states we are entitled to free treatment.

If you quote your national insurance number would that suffice? I am talking about a person residing in Aus being treated in UK.

I couldn't be sure on that one, we did say that we have British passports, we were born in England, we have paid many years of NI contributions (which means we have NI numbers) but as we actually live in Aus we had to sort of prove it, as it could be possible that we lived in a non-reciprocal country.

If you don't have an Aus passport then some other proof of residency would have to be provided, like a Visa I assume.

If you quote your national insurance number would that suffice? I am talking about a person residing in Aus being treated in UK.

Not if you don't live in the uk. You are only entitled to medical care there as a uk citizen if you live, or have just returned to live there. If you are just on holidays you go by whatever reciprocal arrangement the country you live in has.

There was a big thing a few years ago with France I think it was. Loads of people moved out there, but they changed their health care so Brits weren't covered. No problem they thought, nip over to the uk, but they weren't covered their either as they didn't live there any more.

Not if you don't live in the uk. You are only entitled to medical care there as a uk citizen if you live, or have just returned to live there. If you are just on holidays you go by whatever reciprocal arrangement the country you live in has.

There was a big thing a few years ago with France I think it was. Loads of people moved out there, but they changed their health care so Brits weren't covered. No problem they thought, nip over to the uk, but they weren't covered their either as they didn't live there any more.

You are probably right, but if you give a UK address where you are staying and NI number what checks are made. I don't know what systems are used for validation.

its all a moot point anyway as with proper paperwork (as mentioned) or holiday insurance you are covered.

Guest Guest12727
but if you give a UK address where you are staying and NI number what checks are made. I don't know what systems are used for validation.

Good try, but I suspect there will be some sort of code on the NI number indicating non-residence. This would have been applied when you left the country and filled in that form indicating leaving the country.