Maternity care at flinders

Blossom

Hi all.

Assuming all goes well I should be having a baby at flinders hospital at the end of October.

I've been to a gp who took bloods etc, then said the next step was to phone a number and be allocated a hospital and then I would have a scan at 10-13 weeks to check for Down's syndrome.

I phoned today and got as far as being allocated to flinders but ended up being told to phone back tomorrow.

I've been looking at the flinders website and it says they only do one scan at 19 weeks. They say the tests for downs are only done if you are refered by your gp. Does this mean I'm going to have to traipse back to my gp to get a referral?

Has anyone given birth there? I'm already worried enough incase it isn't all going well (I'm nearly 35) and waiting until 19 weeks would be torture. I was worrying enough about the waiting that long for the downs scan.

This is my first by the way, incase you couldn't tell lol.

Thanks. :-D

Yes, it said they do do NT scans but only if refered by a gp. I wish I'd read that before getting my blood test back on Saturday as I could have asked for the referral then. He told me I just had to phone and it would be arranged. I will be 35 by that time, so who knows, they might test me anyway?

Hopefully they are less busy tomorrow and can book me in and have a chat.

I've been pretty lost really. They could do with a 'you're pregnant, this is what happens next' leaflet lol. I had to ask my gp and he was all set to send me home without telling me what I do next.

There are private places which do scans, but they don't mention the NT scan, more gender scans.

Congratulations!

Agree with the above. The NT scan has a very narrow window of opportunity so get chasing it ASAP. I had mine done at 12 weeks with blood test, so the 'combined' test. The combined gives more accurate results and even in the last few years they've made improvements. I was 36 when I conceived, 37 when I gave birth.

I don't know the system in Aus but having experienced the old time mum thing, been through all the stuff with it, am happy to chat about things.

Many congratulations, Blossom!

Having kids (for me anyway!) has been the best thing EVER! Even Maltesers don't compare!

I am sure you will be given many, many booklets etc on having your baby but why not get hold of one of those pregnany diary things? A good one should show your baby's development week by week, give you an idea of what's changing in your body etc so you can enjoy every second / know what to blame if you wake up and want to cry / fight / sing with joy ;)

More congrats and wishes for a problem-free, enjoyable pregnancy and birth.

:wubclub: LC

I have a couple of books and magazines with week by week breakdowns, as well as apps on my phone of course. ;-)

the what's happening with my body part not so worried about. It's what happens with doctors and hospitals from now until then. My gp said that's it for now, I'm over to the hospital, but obviously I'll have to go back to them to get a referral. (Grrrr).

It's already pretty scary when you've not done it before. I loved to oz just as all my friends started having babies too so I missed seeing it all. My Aussie partner already has a 14 year old, but he has a terrible memory and doesn't remember it all.

I'm just so surprised to as most people wait until the 12 week scan before telling everyone, so to then find out that isn't the norm was very surprising.

Ah Blossom! Congratulations! I was also an "older" mum (pretty ancient really, had one at 38 and my second at 40!) Can't really help with your queries but I have a friend who trained as a midwife at Flinders so will try and get you some answers if I can. I also have a friend who's having a C section there as I type this so I'll give her an hour or two to get that over and done with then send her a text...

Guest Guest12727

Congrats Blossom. I was about the same age when I had my son but was in England at the time so can't really help with what happens here, but my recollection is that it was only 40+ that routine tests were done for DS and we could choose whether to have or not, but my memory could be wrong.

It is worth remembering that you aren't sick, so I wouldn't be too worried about not having lots of medical appointments lined up.

Congrats Blossom! I can't help with how it works with maternity care here but I couldn't not congratulate you! As LazyC said, it is the best thing ever!!! When I was pregnant in Ireland I too felt like I wasn't getting what I wanted from the hospital so I went private. Maybe this is an option for you? Anyway I worried continuously throughout both pregnancies (and ever since!) so I do empathise with you. I hope you get everything sorted out. Congrats again!!!

Congrats!

I'm a student midwife and work a lot at Flinders - it's a great place to have a baby.

I'm sorry I don't know exactly how you get the NT scan referral. I usually meet women after they have had this done. However, you do need to book in and make an appt in women's health clinic. Their number is 8204 5197. Give them a call and ask your questions. They'll want to book an appt with you to go over your medical history, outline your care options and give you all the info you need.

If at the appt you are considered low risk, see if you can put your name down for group practice care. The Southern Midwifery Group Practice are midwives who visit you at home, no need to wait in clinic and the care is much more individualised. Appts are not rushed and you will see the same midwife throughout, meaning that you will know and trust each other by the time it comes to having the baby.

Good luck! Jo xx

Hi Blossom, Glad you got the appointment sorted. I have been in the same boat as you so can understand your confusion. I refused the DS test even though I am 37. I had my son 11 weeks ago at Flinders and I can honestly say I had the best birth experience I have ever had (he's my 4th) The midwives were brilliant and mine stayed with me for the whole time and even arranged a 4hour discharge afterwards for me. Send me a message if I can help in anyway. And Congratulations It really is a special time.

Thanks very much. That's great to hear. I must admit, listening to people saying how they've spent a week in the hospital afterwards has been worrying me. It sounds like their midwives are very good.

I'm not so worried about the possibility if downs, I'd more just like an earlier scan so I know everything is alright. I've read too many things where people find out at the 12 week scan they have miscarried without any other signs.

Congratulations! Don't worry too much about being an older Mum, I had my kids late in life and was lucky enough to sail through both pregnancies with no problems at all.

One thing I do remember was being told to be careful with cat's poo and gardening as there is some rare disease you can pick up which is harmful to the baby. I googled it and it is toxoplasmosis - see here http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/toxoplasmosis.html - Nothing to worry about just sensible precautions.