help with health insurance

Guest barry family

Guest barry family

Hi would anyone be able to answer this for me?

I`m wanting to know if medicare or similar health insurance in Australia (moving over in September) would cover my husband`s current medical condition?

He has problems with the disks at the bottom of his back, and was unsure if when we move over the insurance would not cover this as it is an existing medical condition.

In the U.K. if he was wanting to get private health cover they would not give him cover for his back as he has a medical history of back pain!

We got our Visa`s last year and have just accepted an offer on our house (2 weeks ago) so fingers crossed will be moving to Adelaide in September.

My husband will find out on 19th May if he needs his 2 lower disks replacing. If he does our move will be Sept if he does not it will be June.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Amanda

Guest barry family

Hi Blossom thanks for replying.

so I pay for medicare insurance and it will be equivalent to our NHS? is that correct? Thanks again x

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Amanda!....If you choose to take private medical cover pre exsiting conditions would be covered no problem and the insurance companies are no allowed to charge you more for cover, however there is usually a waiting period before you would be covered for said condition usually 12 but i think it can be less some places :wink:

There is a government ombudsman covering health insurance where you can find out more

http://www.phio.org.au/facts-and-advice/the-pre-existing-conditions-rule.aspx

Good luck!

Guest barry family

Oh thanks everyone for replying to my post. It has made me feel a lot better knowing he will be covered.

We can`t wait to start living our new life in Adelaide, we have 2 boys 12 & 13 and they are so exited to come over, (just wish I had a magic wand!)

Amanda xx

I doubt that you're entitled for medicare, because you've written in another thread you're coming on a 489 Visa. Only PRs have fully access to medicare. Australia and the UK have an agreement only for a very limited amount of medical treatment as far as I know.

As a temporary visa holder the barry family needs private health cover anyway as they not only have a member with a medical condition but the children need health cover as well. It should be stated in your visa grant letter. Haven't you noticed it?