Health care notes

samandcraig

Guest Claire-n-tel

No need for either......gp's here work differently, you can go to ant surgery you like there are no records which follow you. Personally I choose to see a regular gp as do lots of people do but many don't.

If you have stuff in you uk notes that you want a dr to know you can ask you gp in uk to give you a summarised print out. Your actual gp notes cannot be given to you and would never be sent overseas :wubclub:

You might want to bring medical notes is if you have had or have a serious illness or are having ongoing treatment for a long term medical condition. Then perhaps medical notes or letter from consultant might be good for any doctors you see.

I had a heap of paperwork from my consultant that I brought as it listed all the drugs, treatments and diagnosis. Has been helpful as I'd not have remembered it all as its covering a fair chunk of time.

Oh and if you have kids, the red book with their immunisation record in is always good. They vaccinate for chicken pox over here generally so if your kids haven't had it you could consider them having it.

I thought the same too, especially medical notes. I was also going to see if I need to bring my maternity notes for if/when we had another child. Didn't have any huge complications but a few issues with both births and last baby was 10.4 (ouch!)so wasn't sure if they would need to see notes in case a c section needed to be considered! Will have to just use my memory!

I thought the same too, especially medical notes. I was also going to see if I need to bring my maternity notes for if/when we had another child. Didn't have any huge complications but a few issues with both births and last baby was 10.4 (ouch!)so wasn't sure if they would need to see notes in case a c section needed to be considered! Will have to just use my memory!

I brought my maternity/birth notes with me. They give you a copy to keep anyways usually so its a keep sake if nothing else for me :) If you have a copy, don't see why you shouldn't bring them with you.

We got copies of all of our records (we had to write a letter requesting them, pay for each record and wait until the doctor could do them - a good two weeks or so; they were only printing them off!) and brought them all - my husband took his to his first asthma appointment becasue they said they'd copy them and give them back but we've never seen them since and now we've moved again we've decided they're gone. As for mine and the children's no-one's asked for them; only about the issue at the time (I haven't actually needed a doctor since we arrived over 2 years ago) so the records are just sitting in a pile on the study floor and I'm not really sure what to do with them!

If you haven't had any major medical issues in the past or needed drugs for anything that you might not remember the name of I don't think I'd bother.

Guest Claire-n-tel
You might want to bring medical notes is if you have had or have a serious illness or are having ongoing treatment for a long term medical condition. Then perhaps medical notes or letter from consultant might be good for any doctors you see.

Snifter this is pretty much what I already posted?.......but bear in mind that you can request reports or summaries to bring but you definitely will not be allowed to bring your actual medical notes from either your gp or from a public hospital.

Snifter this is pretty much what I already posted?.......but bear in mind that you can request reports or summaries to bring but you definitely will not be allowed to bring your actual medical notes from either your gp or from a public hospital.

It happens sometimes people post replies with similar stuff. I read the OP's post and then posted a reply. Sometimes I do that (usually when pushed for time). I wasn't aware I *had* to read every reply going before I posted my own. Sometimes I read replies but don't always register fully what was said and so perhaps post similar in reply too. I've even been known to read a post and reply to the wrong person, in the wrong thread and other delights of forum posting. Only human and all that blah, so I am not going to worry about it.

I am aware that a persons full medical record/history is not able to be obtained and brought out of the country. As I said, I had a pile of medical notes I brought with me. Letters I was cc'd in on also that went between consultants and to my GP and so on regarding my condition, test results and findings, (I was able to choose to recieve all this as a matter of course from the first appointment), discharge papers after ops etc. Also I had a letter from a consultant listing meds, treatment plan and a few other things that I requested.

I brought my maternity/birth notes with me. They give you a copy to keep anyways usually so its a keep sake if nothing else for me :) If you have a copy, don't see why you shouldn't bring them with you.

I didn't get given my maternity notes, like you said I'd actually quite like them as a keepsake :-(......although not sure I'd want to re-live that pain again!!

I didn't get given my maternity notes, like you said I'd actually quite like them as a keepsake :-(......although not sure I'd want to re-live that pain again!!

That's a shame. They are a lovely keepsake but like you said, they are also a reminder of the pain lol. I occasionally read them when I am having a paperwork sort out and do boggle at it all a bit.

My midwife had them all photocopied for me when she came back for the first home visit. In a little binder and everything.

I 'ordered' my maternity notes after both children - absolutely loved reading through them, especially for my oldest because I was so out if it & tired it was all a huge blur!

I didn't get mine given, i had to write to the hospital for them & they charged me per sheet they photocopied, but well worth the money for the keepsake value [emoji2] i found a letter template online somewhere & just added my information.

I think il do that Amy, I'd love to have a look at them, see what comments were made about my emotional state as I remember just absolutely losing it with the second one!!

OH and I brought our Patient Summary Sheets with us, that our Doctor printed out, back in 2007. We gave a copy to the Doctors we go to in Adelaide and I know they have referred to mine a couple of times, just to look at dates and my history. I have also referred to it to double check my last pap smear date (and a couple of other things), over here you have pap smears every 2 years, where as I think in the UK it is every 3 years (or it was when we left from memory). Also for the ladies, the pill is not free here and some can be quite costly, so it may be a good idea to stock up (obviously within legal/medical limits) before you move over.