skin care

John Browning

Guest vikkiann
Do you just go to your gp? When I've asked to be checked they don't seem to really know what they are looking at. :-/

Your gp should be able to do it.

I had a melanoma lump removed last year. My 16 year old son had a weird mole on his back that I thought looked dodgy. My gp said a 16 year old would be fine but I got a 2nd opinion. He had it removed and they did a biopsy, it was pre cancerous.

We now have 6 monthly skin checks

Guest Husky

Yep...i have seen quite a few gps and they have been great at giving us the once over. A little scary if your gp admits they dont know what they are looking for

Probably better they admit they aren't sure, rather than pretend they do!

LC

I had a check up recently and asked when I booked the appointment if there was any particular GP to see for skin checks. They said there sure was and booked me in with them. Only had to wait a day to see the GP, who was confident with the skin check and I felt very reassured :)

We go every year for a skin cancer check up at Ibis Skin Cancer Clinic on South Road. I came across them by accident one day when I was walking passed and I went in for a chat to find out more information. A once a year check up used to be covered by medicare, but we now pay a gap of approx $25 each, which we are happy to pay for peace of mind. As with most cancers the earlier the detection the better your chances.

You strip to your underwear and the Doctor checks all your moles and brown spots and then makes a record and measurement of any larger moles. The Doctor then obviously has a year on year record to refer to.

Remember to check your scalp as well. A friends relative was at the hairdressers and the hairdresser noticed a lump on her scalp and suggested she got it checked out. Turned out it was cancerous and she died at a fairly young age.

When we went back to the UK for a visit last year our friend had recently had a skin cancer removed. She showed us a picture of it and it just looked like a freckle next to her eye. Only when it started bleeding a bit and her husband insisted she went to the Doctors did she find out it was skin cancer. She was very lucky because apparently with this particular type it burrows and if it was left longer she would have lost her eyesight in one eye.

Having lived here 8 years now, quite a few of my colleagues aged 50+, have come to work patched up from having skin cancers removed on their faces/arms. Unfortunately it is a double edged sword, we live in a place with great weather and sunshine, but have to cover up to protect ourselves.

• 1 month later...