Medicare / Health Care

Guest Chelseadownunder

Guest Chelseadownunder

:confused:Hi Guys I need some info please. What is the situation regarding health care over in Adelaide. How different is it from UK. Assuming you are enrolled in medicare which I understand is 1.5% of you pay or more if you are a higher earner.

Does it mean if I break my arm I can go to the hospital and not pay. Or if its an emergency is that free? Is there any simularity to the UK or do you have to pay for most procedures?

In addition to that question, is the medical we all did in the UK the only medical we need to enrol in medicare when we arrive?

Do most of you have private medical cover also?

Does medicare differ from state to state (Say Malbourne for instance)

I would really apprieciate any help you can give. Also does it make a difference if you are Australian or were born to an australian parent or would you be treated no different to a permanant visa holder.

Scott (A very proud owner of a permanant visa at last)

Guest Bex & Nick
if I break my arm I can go to the hospital and not pay. Or if its an emergency is that free?
As far as I'm aware this is correct, its free.

the medical we all did in the UK the only medical we need to enrol in medicare when we arrive
You don't need any medicals to enrol! Just turn up at the local medicare office (there's one in the city on Currie Street) with your passport and proof of address.

Do most of you have private medical cover also?
We have private medical insurance as well. This is a personal choice, many people don't bother. It depends on your own circumstances, we've got full cover including extras. So far we have only used it at the opticians - we get a discount on contact lenses because of having private medical insurance.

I believe the medicare levy increases by 2% for every year that you are above the age of 30. However, if you get private medical insurance you don't pay this additional levy. You have 12 months to get private cover from date of arriving in Oz (I think).

do you have to pay for most procedures?
I think its rare that you have to pay the full amount. If you don't go to somewhere that "bulk bills" then you may have to pay a gap fee. Basically, the medicare pays a certain amount for a procedure but a doctor/hospital can charge slightly more than that which leaves a gap.

Examples:

• x-ray at Sports cost about $65 and I got about half back via medicare;
  • I had to pay a gap of $17 to see my local GP;
  • I have seen a consultant at the hospital and not paid anything because the hospital bulk bills; and
  • I have had day surgery and not paid anything because the hospital bulk bills.

From my own recent experience I cannot fault the health care here. You can see any GP that you wish (although it is recommended that you choose a regular family GP). I now have a normal GP. However, on a couple of occasions we've used the out of hours service provided at Woodville - this is like a GP practice but open from 6 pm - 10 pm.

With my normal GP, she took the time to do a thorough check up and listens to what you say. I also managed to get referred to a consultant fairly quickly when I needed to and he has been excellent. I had to go in for day surgery this week and couldn't fault the hospital and staff.

The QE hospital is a tad run down, i.e. the waiting rooms, but these are nowhere near as crowded as in the UK.

This is all based on my own experience and I know that some people have had completely different experiences.

The medicare levy doesn't increase with age, that's to do with private health cover and the amount of government help you get. You need to be enrolled in private health cover by 31 or when you do decide to take it out your levy increases by 2% for each year you are above 31. (don't know how this applies to migrants).

In public hospitals you will not have to pay for any of the care you receive.

Guest Aussie pat
The medicare levy doesn't increase with age, that's to do with private health cover and the amount of government help you get. You need to be enrolled in private health cover by 31 or when you do decide to take it out your levy increases by 2% for each year you are above 31. (don't know how this applies to migrants).

In public hospitals you will not have to pay for any of the care you receive.

Don't panic. We checked with Medicare about the fact that we would be arriving after we turned 31 (can barely remember back that far!). They said that migrants won't be discriminated against if they didn't arrive before the cut off point. You just need to register for private health insurance before a certain period of time (can't remember exactly how long it was ?1 year) in order to qualify without a penalty.

Guest Bex & Nick
medicare levy increases by 2% for every year that you are above the age of 30

:arghh: - I bet some folks though you bloody idiot! I did know (honest) that it was private insurance that increased and not the medicare levy - just shows that you shouldn't do anything that requires concentration after being in hospital under sedation!

• 1 month later...
Guest Chelseadownunder

Hi Guys

I need to ask you, do you need to arrange any cover for when you land in Adelaide for Hospital etc or will medicare cover you straight away (Im a Permanant visa holder)

Scott