2 names on a Medicare card?

dudleycat

Hi all,So my husband has just made the one way journey to Adelaide 2 weeks earlier that me to start his job and I will be following in early July.He registered for Medicare today and I was surprised to hear that he could have put me on his card. Firstly, does anyone know the benefits of this and secondly can I be added to his card when I get out there in 2 weeks or is it too late and I will now have to get my own? I've no problem with registering and having my own card, but if there is an advantage either in terms of tax or suchlike, I would assume it's best to be on his card?Thanks in advance...DC

Yes you can be put on the same card. Not sure what the benefits are, although I think the Medicare safety limit is per card so if you need a lot of treatment in one year the Medicare safety limit will kick in quicker if you are on the same card. If you go in to Medicare together when you arrive they will sort it out for you.

I think the Medicare safety limit is per card so if you need a lot of treatment in one year the Medicare safety limit will kick in quicker if you are on the same

Thats really interesting, NicF, thank you.

I've been too, re...busy?...to take the kids off our family Medicare card, even though neither are at home anymore lol. Now I have an excuse! :wink:

Seriously though, that is good to know, particularly if , as a family, you tend to need more medical care. It mounts up quickly, so could be really helpful.

:notworthy: LC

Found this on the safety net limit. Interesting :)

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/medicare-safety-net

Also this explains it well

Medicare safety nets

These provide a mechanism to protect people who need to see the doctor regularly, or have tests regularly, from having to pay large numbers of gap fees which could amount to a substantial cost. The Medicare safety net covers a range of doctor visits and tests that you receive out of hospital. Families and couples need to register, but individuals are automatically registered. There are 3 Medicare safety net thresholds currently.

To reach the first safety net threshold, your gap fees (the difference between the Schedule fee and the Medicare rebate) for out-of-hospital services must accumulate to a certain amount (currently $430.90) within a calendar year. Once the threshold is reached, you will receive 100% of the Medicare Schedule fee for all out-of-hospital services. However, a person will still have to pay the additional difference if the doctor charges more than the Schedule fee.

The second safety net is for concession card holders and families eligible for FTB (A). Once out-of-pocket costs (the difference between the Medicare benefit and what a doctor actually charges) reach the threshold, Medicare will meet 80 per cent of any further out-of-pocket expenses for out-of-hospital services for the remainder of the year. This includes costs above the Medicare Schedule fee.

The third safety net is the extended general safety net. This applies to all Medicare cardholders and comes into play if out-of-pocket costs reach the threshold of $1248.70. For any out-of-hospital services beyond this, Medicare will pay 80% of out-of-pocket costs or the EMSN benefit cap.

The thresholds are changed annually to account for inflation. There is also a PBS safety net (see below) which helps if you have a lot of medicine costs in a calendar year.

[TABLE=class: information]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #004685, colspan: 5]Medicare Safety Net Thresholds[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: colHead, bgcolor: #C5E1FA]

[TD]Threshold[/TD]

[TD]Amount[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]Who is eligible?[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]Calculated on[/TD]

[TD=width: 30%]Benefit after threshold reached[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: highlightRow, bgcolor: #E8F4FF]

[TD=width: 15%]Original[/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]$430.90[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]All Medicare cardholders[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]Gap amount[/TD]

[TD=width: 30%]100% of schedule fee for out-of-hospital services[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%]Extended concessional and FTB(A)[/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]$624.10[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]Concession cardholders; Families eligible for family tax benefit (A)[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]Out-of-pocket costs[/TD]

[TD=width: 30%]80% of out-of-pocket costs or the EMSN benefit cap for out-of-hospital services[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: highlightRow, bgcolor: #E8F4FF]

[TD=width: 15%]Extended general[/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]$1248.70[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]All Medicare cardholders[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%]Out-of-pocket costs[/TD]

[TD=width: 30%]80% of out-of-pocket costs or the EMSN benefit for out-of-hospital services[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: tfoot]

[TD=colspan: 5]Out-of-pocket costs = difference between Medicare benefit and the doctor's fee.

Gap amount = the difference between the Medicare benefit and the Schedule fee.

Schedule fee = the fee for service set by the Australian Government.

EMSN = Extended Medicare Safety Net

Adapted from Medicare Australia

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Taken from here - http://www.mydr.com.au/first-aid-self-care/australian-health-system-how-it-works

Edited by snifter
added a bit

Thank you all so much for this information. Very interesting. The only other question i have now is whether I will be able to put myself on his card when I arrive, or whether I needed to be there when he originally applied for it and because he didn't put me on, I've now lost that chance??

• 2 months later...
We have 8 names on one Medicare number. They don't have the technology to fit them all on one card so we have 2 physical cards to fit all the names on. :)

you get a new end digit number each time your card is changed or replaced.

Hello, long time no see :) Hope all is well with you? 8 names? Have you had a new addition?

• 1 month later...