good news story

John Browning

After a week of increasing sciatic pain, decided to have it checked out by my GP.

Sadly she was on holiday, but no problems.... one of her colleagues, could see me.

After a really thorough 30 minute examination, the doctor gave me two scripts for pain relief and a referral for CT scans.

Phoned up and got an appointment at the Community Hospital the following morning

Arrived ten minutes early, and had the whole thing sorted before the original appointment time.

Went back an hour later and collected films and the Radiography report.

By then the pain relief was beginning to take effect, and I decided to make use of some Physio appointments as part of a "Care Plan"

Began Physio the same day.

-So, all sorted and well on the way to recovery in 2 days

and the cost of all this?

-The GP appointment was bulk billed......no gap payment

- The CT Scan and Report ....bulk billed, no gap payment

-The Physio Appointments... zero (-they are covered by a Care Plan drawn up by my GP)

- The medication...... 2 @ $ 6.20

- Health Insurance Premiums? Not likely .... I abandoned my longstanding Health insurance when John "Winston" Howard, tried blackmailing us into taking it up

- Travel costs, well no.... my GP is 5 minutes walk. the CT scan and the Physio are both on the local bus from the corner of my street.

So, the next time you hear someone whinging about waiting lists..... ask yourself -what exactly is the norm?

How many good news stories don't get to be told?

JB :swoon:

Glad you are on the mend JB :)

I've been more than happy with the health care services we've used so far here. Finding a bulk billing GP helped and its good to have a regular GP practice and GP that we see. Of course, if needing a short notice appointment we'll see any of the others at the practice and they've all been good so far.

Thanks guys, (-I'm even back on the beer now, having finished the super strength pain killers)

One of the benefits of the OZ HealthCare model that we haven't mentioned is that you get a really free choice sorting out who your GP is going to be, because you have a decent range of choice.

-It means you can invest in building up a really strong working relationship with a doctor you have faith in

( -always got the feeling that GP's in the UK thought they were doing me some sort of a favor if I didn't have BUPA cover)

JB :swoon:

Have to agree. I have been very impressed with the speedy response to my health needs too. Saw GP Thursday evening (bulk billed/free), bloods done following morning and USS in the afternoon. All bulk billed - review appointment with same GP - he wants to see me before he goes on leave - tomorrow morning 9.30. You can't beat the Aussie system IMO. I'd still be waiting for a GP appt in the UK!