Curves - gym for women

Moosh

Hi

I was a member of Hydracise in England which is the equivelent to Curves here, and I lost nearly 2 stone in 6 months. Had to eat healthy aswell but didnt change my diet too drasticly. (still had chocolate most evenings). I too am thinking of joining here as I have 'baby weight' to lose, and the 30 min workout should fit into my day.

Wendy

I joined Curves back in the Uk in October and have joined again here. I find it works really well for me. I don't diet ( as I believe diets don't work) and I am really pleased with the results.

I joined the one at O'Halloran Hill. It only takes 30 mins for a workout and then 5 mins for stretching afterwards. You really do need to go 3 times a week to see any changes. If you want someone to go with just let me know.

Guest donna T

Also try Cornelia who is an ex NHS weight management consultant. She has her own business here in Hallett Cove and is excellent.

She doesn't believe in diets either, just small very managable steps.

I have been with her for 2 weeks and feel much better already and have lost 8 lbs withough trying too hard.

PM her cormcvcr and I am sure she will be happy to help.

Donna x

I totally agree with Donna that diets don't work, certainly not long term. You are by far better off taking small steps toward a longer term goal. That way you'll re-educate yourself to take a healthier living regime, you'll have more chance of success as your not depriving the body of food, if you take up small amounts of exercise regularly you won't become bored and give up. So you'll tone up, lose body fat and gain a healthier heart for long term gain.

If you start out telling yourself you have 3 stone to lose - you'll possibly end up deflated and lose interest if you don't do it quickly enough to what you have set yourself, however, if you aim to say lose 5lbs in a month, your far more likely to achieve it and that in itself is encouraging. Similarly, you wouldn't aim to run a marathon if you've never run before - the goal is way too much, aim for a shorter distance and over time increase. Baby steps to greater acheivements!

Diets don't work as initially the body may well lose fat, but, it then reaches a point where it believes its in famine - it then retains every morsel you consume once you start eating properly again, that's why you end up fatter in the long term, with perhaps a few more pounds for good measure!

As with any exercise regime, you'll need to vary it to get maximum benefits, and change the way you exercise every 4-6 weeks or so. That is for instance, if you are a member of Curves, do the circuit as per normal and maybe for another day in the week go to a class, swim, walk a couple of miles, run, jiggy around the house while you clean!, do weights,..... whatever your into. The body plateau's after a while and as you increase your fitness, so you have to stay one step ahead. You just need to become more creative.

That lady, Cornelia in Hallets Cove sounds like she's on the ball, a lady after my own heart!! I'd definately put more faith in her approach than "weigh and shame". Public weigh in's work for some I know (do whatever works for you) but adjusting your thinking for future benefits are far more long lasting in my opinion.

Lastly, watch this space!! a friend of mine who has recently moved back to Sydney from Ireland, is planning an opening of "Motivation weight loss clinics" which are hugely popular in Ireland, she is hoping to launch in Adelaide come the new year. Aimed at healthy weight loss and encouragement to exercise, lifestyle change, etc

Letti

Personal Trainer/Soigneur

www.lettikemp.com

Hi Antlet,

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Small steps, offer easier progression and lasting changes.

But people must be committed to the changes too. There is no point agreeing to everything that either you or I say then don't do any of it. This totally defeats the purpose of trying in the first place.

Weight loss companies have their place in society and if you find something that works for you then well done. Not everybody is that lucky.

People expect quick weight loss and if this doesn't happen then they give up.

So why are so many people still on diets after all these years?

Everybody is different and their bodies react different, so why should everybody be following the same diet?

I personally defy anybody to tell me that I can't have any chocolate! But I know I have done enough of the good stuff to justify it. I compromise with myself, everything in moderation, that way I don't crave!

But good luck to all who embark on the path of weight loss and gyms, well done to you for taking the first step to a new you x

Cornelia, I'm with you!! I'd defy anyone who says I can't have chocolate also!!!

I am so happy to have made you aquaintance online. Its really refreshing to "meet" someone who is working with the individual rather than society on mass. As you say, everyone is individual and therefore must react differently.

I went with one of my clients here in Ireland to a, what I'll call a weigh in group, didn't say anything about myself or why I was there. Anyway, cutting a longish story short, stepped on the scales and was told to lose just over a stone. Now I'm no skinny malinky in visual terms, but have a low body fat count, a lot of muscle, naturally curvy - am very fit and healthy. Apparently for my height I was too heavy!!! NO WAY!

It's scary!.......well, it can be depending on whose running them

Thanks for your lovely comments Donna, I really appreciate it.

You are putting a lot of hard work into this and deserve the results you are achieving.

Nobody said it would ever be easy, but don't make it any harder than it already is!

Take is slow and concentrate on specific things bit at a time x