bad mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest ali@51

Guest ali@51

Hi All

I am such a bad mum. We have spent most of the day in A&E today. As a lot of you probably know Meg dosent see to well and we have had a previous 6 hour trip to A&E folowed by a 2hr trip as we tryed to train yet another new set of Dr's. Meg's condition is very rare and most Dr's havent even read about it let alone seen it.. And as you will know they don't particulaly like being educated by a stay at home mum.

However that is no different to the UK. So when Meg got another abrasion this am I just thought que cera hear we go again. However we were in and out in 2 hours:notworthy:. The only issue we had was that we were give cloramphenical ointment, that we usualy have, and the Dr insisted we had to patch with it. We dont usually bother but his explanation made sense so despite Megs protestes she went to school with an eye patch. It was really wierd as it is 12m since we seen her in an eye patch:jimlad:.

And now comes why I'm such a bad bad mum. Morgan picked the kids up from school and when they got home Meg looked pathetic and said she had fallen of the Monkey bars. To be honest I wasnt that intrested!!!!! She falls of the monkey bars almost every day. Now Meg has a very high pain threshold as she is used to a lot of pain from her eye. However she was complaining a little but didn't look in a lot of pain but she kept saying and saying so against my better judgement and coupled with Morgans nagging I took her back to A&E. We saw the triage nurse and he waggled her arm up down left and right and she didn't bat an eyelid. Oh I could have found a hole. The nurse who I have to say was very nice ( for anyone of a female persuasion read male and VERY NICE!!!!) baiscly laughed at my embarisment and said he thought it was just a soft tissue injuriey:arghh:. We then went to reception and the lass said wern't you here yesterday? oh no this morning!!!!!by this time I had told Megan I thought she was putting it on and being a drama queen. Anyway we left 2 1/2 hours lator with Meg in a plaster She only has a small fracture and due to the swellin a back slab. but I have had to eat hummble pie and at 22.00 hrs she is still smug. Even in her sleep!!!!!!!!!Oh I am a bad Mum:biglaugh:

Guest caoimhe

Poor Megan and Ali

But we can't watch them all the time, I have to tell myself this to justify why all mine have scars:nah:

Son No1 Scar on forehead from fall needing stitches

Son No2 Scar on arm from falling over slide sideways needing stitches, gash on back from fall needing stitches but we didn't think they were needed so not healed properly

Son No 3 Scar on forehead from a fall off a ride in the supermarket - more stitches

Son No4 Scar from fall against fireplace when his inconsiderate mum decide to leave him unatteded while she went to the loo and came back to see him pouring with blood. Stitches on head from a fall from the fence at the side of the house (that his inconsiderate mum didn't want to spend the money on fixing until the offending accident happened). He was leaning on the fence and it gave way with rot and he fell 4ft into the neighbours garden

So join the queue in the bad mother stakes:err:

Guest Lulujim

My friend's little girl fell off her chair while we all had lunch. She cried, but it was soon forgotton as there was cake to be eaten.

She kept saying her arm was 'Owey' the rest of the day, but as not even 3, when we told her it was fine and would feel better soon, she believed us - bless her.

However, when she was still saying about it the next day, her mum took her to A&E.

It was broken. Woops.

I'm sure these things (and worse) happen to every mum. You're not a bad mum, just normal!

P.s - Have always wondered how to get that eye-patch smiley in to a post!! :biglaugh:

Do not beat yourself up over this! My son Thomas has broken his arm twice, once when he was about a year old - he fell down a step one morning when his dad was watching him (aka doing the Daily Mirror crossword). The day after we noticed that Thomas was crawling commando style, on his elbows instead of his hands - took him to A & E, break no 1. When he was 4 1/2 he tripped over a football banged his hand, screamed hysterically for about 15 minutes and then seemed to settle. A day later when I realised that he couldn't get his trousers down to go to the loo or hold his bits and aim, or climb up the ladder into his bunk bed properly, I said to Andy I am going to take him to A & E (Andy just said to give him calpol, it'll be right) but I insisted - break no 2. The staff in A & E said well its obviously broken............................... me - 'is it?':confused:

So dont feel bad, these things happen

Lindsey

Did I mention that Andy and I are both nurses (neither of us work in A and E though!)

Oh well I'd better joint the queue then - Grace currently has a corker of a black eye (incident with toy bricks!) - when she is just getting over having a black eye (opposite side) from falling over!!! Looks like i've battered her good and proper.

Emily fell off a sledge last year - finally ended up in A&E after much protesting and crying to find she had broken her ankle in 2 places!!

Blimey I'm sure social will be over for a visit soon:shocked:

Guest caoimhe
Do not beat yourself up over this! My son Thomas has broken his arm twice, once when he was about a year old - he fell down a step one morning when his dad was watching him (aka doing the Daily Mirror crossword). The day after we noticed that Thomas was crawling commando style, on his elbows instead of his hands - took him to A & E, break no 1. When he was 4 1/2 he tripped over a football banged his hand, screamed hysterically for about 15 minutes and then seemed to settle. A day later when I realised that he couldn't get his trousers down to go to the loo or hold his bits and aim, or climb up the ladder into his bunk bed properly, I said to Andy I am going to take him to A & E (Andy just said to give him calpol, it'll be right) but I insisted - break no 2. The staff in A & E said well its obviously broken............................... me - 'is it?':confused:

So dont feel bad, these things happen

Lindsey

Did I mention that Andy and I are both nurses (neither of us work in A and E though!)

This is a great thread - its making me feel like a great mother please keep it up:biglaugh:

Guest ali@51

I think the worst of it was I made it very clear she was taking the micheal and putting on a performance and that I was not impressed at sitting in A&E again!!!!!!! Mind you her teacher is in for a shock. he was off yesterday and had left her all in one piece when he gets back her arm is gong to be in plaster and she has a patch on her eye!!!!!!!!!:jimlad:

Guest caoimhe
Mind you her teacher is in for a shock. he was off yesterday and had left her all in one piece when he gets back her arm is gong to be in plaster and she has a patch on her eye!!!!!!!!!:jimlad:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Things happen to children all the time and with your daughter having a high pain threshold, it was even difficult for the hospital to see, hence the reason they thought it was soft tissue damage.

But by the sounds of it, with her smug smile she will fight another day, smiling of course!!

Guest cazzie
Hi All

I am such a bad mum. We have spent most of the day in A&E today. As a lot of you probably know Meg dosent see to well and we have had a previous 6 hour trip to A&E folowed by a 2hr trip as we tryed to train yet another new set of Dr's. Meg's condition is very rare and most Dr's havent even read about it let alone seen it.. And as you will know they don't particulaly like being educated by a stay at home mum.

However that is no different to the UK. So when Meg got another abrasion this am I just thought que cera hear we go again. However we were in and out in 2 hours:notworthy:. The only issue we had was that we were give cloramphenical ointment, that we usualy have, and the Dr insisted we had to patch with it. We dont usually bother but his explanation made sense so despite Megs protestes she went to school with an eye patch. It was really wierd as it is 12m since we seen her in an eye patch:jimlad:.

And now comes why I'm such a bad bad mum. Morgan picked the kids up from school and when they got home Meg looked pathetic and said she had fallen of the Monkey bars. To be honest I wasnt that intrested!!!!! She falls of the monkey bars almost every day. Now Meg has a very high pain threshold as she is used to a lot of pain from her eye. However she was complaining a little but didn't look in a lot of pain but she kept saying and saying so against my better judgement and coupled with Morgans nagging I took her back to A&E. We saw the triage nurse and he waggled her arm up down left and right and she didn't bat an eyelid. Oh I could have found a hole. The nurse who I have to say was very nice ( for anyone of a female persuasion read male and VERY NICE!!!!) baiscly laughed at my embarisment and said he thought it was just a soft tissue injuriey:arghh:. We then went to reception and the lass said wern't you here yesterday? oh no this morning!!!!!by this time I had told Megan I thought she was putting it on and being a drama queen. Anyway we left 2 1/2 hours lator with Meg in a plaster She only has a small fracture and due to the swellin a back slab. but I have had to eat hummble pie and at 22.00 hrs she is still smug. Even in her sleep!!!!!!!!!Oh I am a bad Mum:biglaugh:

Hello,

Oh how your post made me laugh and then reading the rest of the posts that followed - I was hysterical, such funny reading. I have had four children and like everyone else - my kids have had visits to A&E for one thing or another and you do feel bad. However, it is reassuring to know that we are normal, loving parents who unfortunately don't have eyes in the back of our heads.

My second daughter, Esther, is a beautiful 29 year old who was diagnosed with breast cancer last year - a major shock. After an op and a year of chemotherapy, radiotherapy and now Herceptin and Tamoxifen, she is in remission (or I wouldn't contemplate the move to Adelaide). Esther is back at work and looks and feels fantastic. I am so proud of her. So don't fret too much about the A&E incidents - at least they are, in the main, easily recoverable from.

Take care everybody.

Cazzie

Guest hel&sam

if it makes you feel any better, i'm a radiographer, xraying people who come into a&e among other things. you wouldnt believe the amount of so called '''bad mothers''' so you're actually in the vast majority along with me. i'm probably worse than most, spoonful of calpol you'll be fine in the morning etc. very blase about anything that doesnt involve lots of blood and flashing blue lights.

on the other hand, the ones we really get annoyed at are the ones who drag their children in to be xrayed for every knock or bruise, they dont even have the decency to limp!!

you're in good company.

Helen.

:biglaugh: