Thyroxine

Guest Yapp

Hi,

Seeking some medical information if anyone can help please. I take thyroxine for a hypo-thyroid. In the UK it was prescribed free and while we have been in Malaysia, I can get it over the counter without a prescription. I suspect when we get to Adelaide it will be a prescribed drug again, but does anyone know if this will be covered by health insurance or medicare or will this be something I will have to pay for each time.

Many thanks

Carmen

Hi

You have to pay for the prescription here. The tablets come in 25, 50, 100 or 200 and you pay a prescription for each size - ie if you are on 175 then you would pay 3 prescription charges - 25+50+100! Prescriptions last approx 6 months.

Don't know if you can claim it back on health insurance though.

Guest Guest75

Hi Carmen

Mrs Tyke is on 150 of Thyroxine and you do have to pay for it unfortunately.

I'm not sure on the medical insurance either.

I know there is a level at which your prescriptions become cheaper once you have spent so much.

We just miss out and the prescription total between us is fairly high.

I know there is a level at which your prescriptions become cheaper once you have spent so much.

I think it's about $900/yr. Some private medical cover schemes will allow you to claim back some of the non-PBS prescription costs too.

Thank you, it's nice to know what to expect. Can you tell me how much a prescription is please. I think I will bring some with me, at the moment I can buy 100 tablets in one pot. If I recall correctly, in the UK I could only get 28 tablets on one prescription, is that the same in Australia?

Thanks

Thyroxine script is about $25.You get x 5 bottles of 200 tabs in a script.

Oops sorry,40 tabs in a bottle

Brilliant, thanks. So let me get this correct. For about $25, I will get 5 x 40 tablets, which will equal 200.