Mosquito Bites

suziewozie

Can anyone help please.

The mosquitos here in Australia love me to bits and keep biting me :arghh: despite covering myself in insect repellant. Is anyone else suffering like me?. Does anyone know how I can stop them biting me. I do the usual things, repellant, antihistamines, wearing trousers, long sleeve tops but no the buggers still get me and now I am getting really fed up:realmad: . I went to another BBQ last night but hey I am paying the price today.

Thanks

Hi I was in Croatia recently and got eaten day and night. I tried everything and resorted to rubbing raw garlic on my skin and alternated this with vinsgar!!! Smelt lush ...not!!!:goofy:

I did read on the internet to stay clear of bananas as the oil in banana secreted through the skin is appealling to mossies, only found this out on the last day of holiday after eating bananas everyday!!!

Hope someone comes up with some solutions for us!!!

Take care and try not to scatch!!!!

Guest richbest80

Stop eating bananas during mosquito season and take Vitamin B-1. If you google it you'll see both of these things are recommended... and are much better then rubbing garlic or rosemay over your skin (some other suggestions!!) :/

We went to Loch Ness recently and out of the 4 of us, I was the only one who was eaten alive despite all the Jungle juice I rolled or squirted on me:sad:

I have heard though that Skin so soft as already suggested works wonder - sounds like I'll need a boat load

If you find a cure - please pass it on xx

Hi Sue

Try 'skin so soft body spray'' by Avon, apparently the little buggars don't like it.

Hope it works, it has worked for me in the past

Dawn

Got to agree with this, I used to sell Avon and a customer told me this really worked. I sold loads based on that--make sure you get the 'Woodland fresh'

Got to agree with this, I used to sell Avon and a customer told me this really worked. I sold loads based on that--make sure you get the 'Woodland fresh'

Absolutely endorse this, it has been great for me as I am also a bug magnet. Only thing is it's not called Woodland Fresh anymore just Skin So Soft Original. Smells nice as well and is good for your skin!

Also agree, try yeast tablets or vitamin B, these also help to build up a resitance to the little blighters.

Hi

Not exactly something you can put on your skin, but if you're at home in your own garden, I'd recommend those lamp type things you can get. I know mortein does one. It's like a lamp, and you put a tablet in it, and then light a candle under the tablet. Sorry, but i can't remember what they're called. But I have found them to be very useful.

And if it did work, you could always carry one round with you. :biglaugh:

Guest TC for short

AFAIK, in the Olden Days tonic water was devloped using the bark of a particular tree which is high in quinine, an anti-malarial, hence "tonic" water. Unfortunately this "tonic" was so bitter they had to mix it with gin to make it palatable. Now this is great if you catch malaria (spread by mozzies), but what if you don't want to get bitten in the first ?

Well, apparently Angostura Bitters contains something that mozzies don't like the smell of, and so the Pink Gin was born, and it works on three levels:

Angostura Bitters - to keep the mozzies away

Tonic Water - to cure the malaria caused by any mozzies stupid enough to ignore the above, and

Gin - so that if the first two don't work you won't care!

You could always try lemon-lime-bitters - very popular out here and good if one's driving, but personally I'm researching the Pink Gin. So far I'm still being bitten, but that's most likely due to my not drinking nearly enough of it.

I'll let (hic) you allll kown how my reeshersh goeshhhh.....