Anyone suffer from hayfever?????

Guest Devon

Hi everyone. Just wondered if anyone out there suffers from hayfever or has any advice? I have never suffered from hayfever before in my life and am now on my third spring/summer in Adelaide without having it here before. For the last couple of weeks have been suffering really bad on the warmer days. This means I am restricted to the house :arghh: with all the windows and doors closed on these lovely days :dull:

I've tried just about all the allergy products now and absolutely no difference. It's started getting embarrassing now as when I need to go out it looks like I'm crying and I can't stop sneezing! :sad:

Guest Libby1971

I have just about every allergy known to man, I think.

Hayfever is a partciular speciality of mine...in the UK I took Zirtek. Here I was on Claramax but they stopped making it per se or rather rebranded it as Aerius. However, every few months I need about 5 days on steroids in order to bring things abck under control so I can cope. This is only during spring/ summer/ autumn.

When I saw one of the docs, he told me that Adelaide is the worst place in Aus for hayfever, asthma, eczema etc allergies. Great!!!!:arghh:

My OH suffers badly from hayfever as does my son to a lesser extent (cats is his thing!)

My OH has been using Zirtec which relieves things for a couple of hours but nothing major. He has been recommended to have fresh pineapple or the juice from it every day and also to put a small amount of vicks vaporub or vaseline just inside the nasal as seemingly this helps to catch the pollen before it reaches the nasal cavity.

So he was out to buy some this morning, I'll keep you posted as to the results.

Thank you for the posts Libby and Cornelia - thankfully other people can understand how I'm feeling! - although don't want anyone else to suffer as well - oh you know what I mean - it's effecting my brain now too :goofy:

Will try the pineapple thing Cornelia so long as you promise that you're not just trying to get me on some healthy diet :biglaugh:

Glad to see you both back from your hols safe and sound and Libby feeling more like you're now at home.

How was Queensland C?

Guest motlyman

When in the UK i suffered terribly with it but been here 21 months now and dont get a thing:err: weird or what. Whats stranger is my daughter has never had it, now gets it:err:.Weirder

In the UK i used Beconaise nasal spray. It dried your nasal passages out and worked brilliantly for me for years. I have seen it here also.

Good luck

Colin

I have just about every allergy known to man, I think.

Hayfever is a partciular speciality of mine...in the UK I took Zirtek. Here I was on Claramax but they stopped making it per se or rather rebranded it as Aerius. However, every few months I need about 5 days on steroids in order to bring things abck under control so I can cope. This is only during spring/ summer/ autumn.

When I saw one of the docs, he told me that Adelaide is the worst place in Aus for hayfever, asthma, eczema etc allergies. Great!!!!:arghh:

Was chatting to another soccer mum last year who had lived on the coast and her daughters suffered terrible asthma - moved to the hills (Athelstone) and there was an instant, long lasting improvement. Something to do with prevailing winds or something.

Thanks for your post Colin - I will try that one, thought I'd tried them all but not that yet! Does seem strange that you don't get it now and your daughter does as I say I've never suffered it before either :goofy:

Diane you could be spot on about the wind as we're on a corner plot on the coast and sometimes it blows a gale in our back garden. I used to live on the coast near Exeter and on the coast in Spain and it didn't bother me - I suppose it's totally different here though :biglaugh:

Hi everyone. Just wondered if anyone out there suffers from hayfever or has any advice? I have never suffered from hayfever before in my life and am now on my third spring/summer in Adelaide without having it here before. For the last couple of weeks have been suffering really bad on the warmer days. This means I am restricted to the house :arghh: with all the windows and doors closed on these lovely days :dull:

I've tried just about all the allergy products now and absolutely no difference. It's started getting embarrassing now as when I need to go out it looks like I'm crying and I can't stop sneezing! :sad:

My Son has had hayfever for years he was allergic to all pollens from April - November. When he was at school missed many days as he could open his eyes they were so swollen and he could hardly breathe. He tried Zirtec and Clarytin but nothing touched it. Finally he was given Levocetirizine Dihyd tablets (I've got the box so that I can spell it!) they are one a day and he has never looked back. He rarely needs his nasal spray but still occasionally uses the eye drops. But 100% better and the hayfever doesn't stop him doing anything. Not sure what the equivalent in Oz will be.

In the UK I wasn't so bad but here in Adelaide (I live in HC) as soon as I get up my eyes, noew and back of throat are itchy.

Its also Mozzie season and I've had a few bites that have come up in big welts :sad:

I went to the chemist and they gave me Lorapaed. Its a peach flavoured liquid for kids and adults and its working a treat. The mozzie bites went down and a spoon of this every morning is calming things down.:cute:

Judi x

Guest Tracijbc
In the UK I wasn't so bad but here in Adelaide (I live in HC) as soon as I get up my eyes, noew and back of throat are itchy.

Its also Mozzie season and I've had a few bites that have come up in big welts :sad:

I went to the chemist and they gave me Lorapaed. Its a peach flavoured liquid for kids and adults and its working a treat. The mozzie bites went down and a spoon of this every morning is calming things down.:cute:

Judi x

Thanks for that Judi, I got a really nasty bite last weekend and have been given antibiotics by my GP as it went all pussy (sorry!!) and swollen and I look like I have Leprosy on the back of my leg! :arghh: Will get some of the peach flavoured stuff, as it sounds better than a summer of antibiotics!

My GP in the UK told me to eat Marmite every morning for a month before I went to India on holiday, as it would stop the mozzies wanting to taste me. I did eat the Marmite, but also went coated in DEET, so can't be sure what worked!!

I also have hayfever, and it's totally weird as I normally get it in May, so having it for the first time in Sept/Oct is very bizarre! When I first started sniffling, I thought it was a cold.....strange living upside down ain't it!

Traci x

Oh, and another thing.......apparently Mozzies are attracted to us females more at certain times of the month. The rise in our Oestrogen (sp?) makes us more tasty....:err:;)

Judi x

Guest Libby1971

No wonder the damn things are biting people...all that PMT!!!!

I think this thread is great...I am now armed with all sorts of new info and new drugs to sample. OH is shopping for pineapple tomorrow so we'll try that and I'll let you know as and when I get onto the drugs.

Judi x

Hi Judi

I have been suffering like you too and so has my Mum who is over for a holiday.

Everytime I go to the chemist they offer me something different:arghh: but I have found a cream called 4 way action antiseptic cream really good. I am interested to know if

the Lorapaed works only once you have been bitten or is it a deterant too?

Hi all,

correct spelling Judi, well done!

FYI, i have treated many people for hayfever/sinusitis............with ACUPUNCTURE.

It involves some facial needling, but doesn't hurt, honest!

If anyone is up for it; i am bringing my needles with me. Happy to provide the service, at reduced rates for forum users.

Of course, there may be 1 or 1 that will get 6 inch nails if he aint careful:biglaugh:.......

seriously, i am experienced and qualified and registered Acupuncture therapist. I treat migrain; pmt; dysmenhorria; sciatica; frozen shoulder etc etc etc........

Jane

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

New nasal steroid coming on the market over the next few months: fluticasone fuorate (not propionate, which is current fluticasone version) - supposed to work on both nasal and eye symptoms, better than the other sprays. Worthwhile checking when launched in Oz. Will have a look around and see when that is. Will post if I find out. UK launch in early 2009.

Pies

Guest kenmcfadyen
My Son has had hayfever for years he was allergic to all pollens from April - November. When he was at school missed many days as he could open his eyes they were so swollen and he could hardly breathe. He tried Zirtec and Clarytin but nothing touched it. Finally he was given Levocetirizine Dihyd tablets (I've got the box so that I can spell it!) they are one a day and he has never looked back. He rarely needs his nasal spray but still occasionally uses the eye drops. But 100% better and the hayfever doesn't stop him doing anything. Not sure what the equivalent in Oz will be.

I have suffered with allergies for 13 years. It drives me up the wall, and back again! I seem to be allergic to the same as Libby - everything! Fortunately OH is a GP and we tried a few different meds until we struck on the right one for me - Levocetirizine, otherwise known as XyXal which can be bought here over the counter, but it pretty expensive. Fortunately, since I have been in Oz I am now taking a pill every two to three days as my allergies don't seem to be half as bad here - if they had been worse I'd have had to have gone back to the UK!!!

Anyway, rest assured Ellie, your son will still be able to get what he needs here.

• 3 weeks later...

You know what's worked best for me is this saline solution called Fess. It clears your sinuses out rather than drugging you up (I have Nasonex as well but the Fess is the only thing which seemed to make any real difference). I'm not sneezing as much or waking the hubs up early night snoring anymore:unsure:

Have you been allergy tested, some different kinds of pollen can set things off at different times of the year. South Australia is the worst area for allergens in first world countries. Have read some research on this and nobody really knows why it is. They obviously have different plant pollens here. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Guest Libby1971

I was allergy tested last month. The doc said that there was no point taking a daily antihistamine as it would have little effect. Okay, I thought. Then I was taken through to the actual room where the tests are done. He said as I was new, they would test me for almost everything. And I had some amazing reactions to almost everything as well. When he came back in, he said I may have been hasty advising you not to take antihistamines daily. In fact, it would be very prudent for you to do so.

I also have an Epipen now although not for any grass pollens. SA is the asthma and allergy centre of the world according to one of the docs I have seen. It is something to do with the dry conditions, rainfall and winds although I wasn't really paying much attention.

• 2 months later...
Guest squeaky

Not sure if answered already but try over the counter antihistamine ? loratidine PLUS nasal steroid spray. Could stop tablets after a while and continue only on nasal spray until settled

Very strange as I suffered from allergies really badly in the UK and had to take Benadryl and a steroid nasal spray daily to stop my nose running and constant sneezing, have had no problems since being here at all and have stopped all meds.

When I did suffer, I really found Benadryl did the trick for me as it works in 15 mins when you are affected rather than having to take a daily dose, not sure if they have it over here but its active ingredient was acrivistine so you could ask at the chemists.

You have my sympathies as my allergies really took over my life, maybe I was just allergic to the UK!

• 3 months later...
Guest Lozmitch

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I read it today with great interest as I am a hayfever sufferer and we are at the height of it in the UK and i slightly paniced when i saw this thread as was hoping I wouldn't get it out there, how wrong could I be!

Anyway I suffer really badly and for the last 4 years have ended up on steriods to control the sypmtoms. I have been to the doctors for this years prescription and I feel like I have been given a miracle cure!! She has put me on Fexofenadine hydrochloride 180mg tablet and Flixonase Aqueous nasal spray 50mcg/spray. I wanted to share this with you incase anyone is really suffering and wants to give this combination a go. Apart from itchy eyes (which I think is just something you have to get used to!) I feel like a different woman! Normally only the steriods can make me feel anything like human in the summer!!

I was also told by her that within 2 years there wil be a cure for hayfever by way of a single jab that lasts for 10 years and will be avaliable on the NHS within 2 years! hoorah! Anyone heard of this jab out there in Oz?? Would seriously consider flying back here just to get it!!

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I read it today with great interest as I am a hayfever sufferer and we are at the height of it in the UK and i slightly paniced when i saw this thread as was hoping I wouldn't get it out there, how wrong could I be!

Anyway I suffer really badly and for the last 4 years have ended up on steriods to control the sypmtoms. I have been to the doctors for this years prescription and I feel like I have been given a miracle cure!! She has put me on Fexofenadine hydrochloride 180mg tablet and Flixonase Aqueous nasal spray 50mcg/spray. I wanted to share this with you incase anyone is really suffering and wants to give this combination a go. Apart from itchy eyes (which I think is just something you have to get used to!) I feel like a different woman! Normally only the steriods can make me feel anything like human in the summer!!

I was also told by her that within 2 years there wil be a cure for hayfever by way of a single jab that lasts for 10 years and will be avaliable on the NHS within 2 years! hoorah! Anyone heard of this jab out there in Oz?? Would seriously consider flying back here just to get it!!

If you get itchy eyes then try Avamys - it's like Flixonase, but has evidence it works on the eyes and nose.

I seem to remember reading something about immunotherapy suppression therapy in Europe ?Russia? or East anyway which is light years ahead of UK - will scout about in Oz to see what is available as I am finding that I am getting more allergies as I get older.

Pies