495 visa - medicare and private health insurance options... query

Guest Amelia&Fred

Guest Amelia&Fred

Hi there I have a query about medicare and health insurance for those on a 495 visa.... My husband and I are living in Adelaide on a 495 skilled migration temporary residents visa and are covered under the medicare reciprocal health agreement between the UK and Australia - which means we are covered for anything deemed necessary for immediate medical attention. Private health insurance for residents does not seem appropriate due to the fact that medicare wont pay their 75% share of any elective surgery. Overseas visitors cover seems more for people with no medicare cover and is pretty expensive. I would love to know if there is anyone on here who has had a similar experience on a 495 visa and how they have covered themselves? Specifically for things like the dentist/opticians etc I hope someone can help! Thanks, Amelia and Fred

• 3 months later...
Guest betty22

Hi,

All the time that we were on 495 we didnt bother as private was sooooo expensive. A few trips to the dentist and optician in that 2.5 years only cost about $1000 so it was ok. much cheaper than the premiums. If you are normally fit and healthy you should be ok as everything else is covered by reciprical.

Liz

Hi,

All the time that we were on 495 we didnt bother as private was sooooo expensive. A few trips to the dentist and optician in that 2.5 years only cost about $1000 so it was ok. much cheaper than the premiums. If you are normally fit and healthy you should be ok as everything else is covered by reciprical.

Liz

Yup, totally agree, we're waiting for our PR before we take it out. You pay more for less benefits, and most of the things you need are not covered!!

We have extras cover for the dentist. Bloody good job - my daughter needs braces and implants - roughly now in the region of 20 grand. We get 40% off implants and $2000 off the braces which will half that bill. We only pay $55 a month. Excellent value for money.

Yep you heard right. She is 12 and has 5 baby teeth with no adult teeth growing to replace them!!!! Apparently its heriditary!!!!! Looks like younger brother will be blessed with the same!!!!! Most kids have too many teeth in their mouth - my kids don't have enough!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lulujim

Hi Nick,

Have just sent you a PM and then seen you named your dentist. Sorry! If you could PM me the address that'd be great, thank you.

I'm still confused about the insurance though..... as my fixed braces are already on, would I be covered by dental insurance? How do I go about getting it?? :confused:

Thanks for your help!! Alexis