Laser Eye Treatment

sueoc

Hi,my Son is going for a consultation for laser eye treatment tomorrow,and im not sure at all about it,is there enough known?Is it 100%safe,could there be irreparable damage in the future?Ive never met anyone who has had it done,and worry about it.Has anyone on here had it done?Information would be greatly appreciated,thanks Billy.

Guest TC for short

I can't remember the exact procedure (there are more than one) but the UK Civil Aviation Authority approve it for aircrew & air traffic control officers. This link http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP200104.PDF might be of interest. Also this, http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/343859-l-ser-eye-surgery.html from an aircrew forum.

Good luck.

TC

Richard had his done in the UK a couple of years ago and said it was the best thing he's ever done, he had better than 20/20 vision about 10 seconds after opening his eyes and had no discomfort at all. My best friend had hers done and she was as blind as a bat, experienced a few 'floaters', the black bits you sometimes see when you get really tired and had to have a small second operation to remove these. My brother had it done an he reckons his eyes are deteriorating again so I know 3 people with 3 different stories. Its a personal thing, depends how bad your eyes are at the start, how much it affects your life etc and there are lots of different types out there. As they always say on PIA research, research. Joanne

Hi Billy - I had both my eyes done about 8months before I came out to Oz. Both eye were done on the same day....by vision before was about -3.....shortsighted. It was definitely the best thing I have had done - I knew 4 other friends all had it done and all with positive outcomes.

However....I must admit - I was in alot of pain for a few days...it is uncomfortable for about a week or so......

Hope it all goes well - its well worth it.

sarahx

Guest Carkyde

Hi Billy

I got both my eyes done about 4 years ago and my eyesight is 100%, I just had a recent check as I started to worry about long term effects and eyes are healthier than they were before.

I got the cheaper scape procedure which I wouldn't recommend, I was in quite a lot of pain for about 5 days after the procedure. I had dry eyes when I was wearing contacts and they think this was why my eyes were really dry after the procedure. So for months/first 2 years (on/off) I would wake up and my cornea would be stuck to my eyelid!!!Yuk and bliddy painful. I find now if I drink too much or use the computer excessively this occasionally happens. I don't know of anyone else who experienced this but the aftercare was fantastic so I would say check the aftercare package to make sure it is adequate.

BUT I would definatley recommend getting it done - only go for the cornea cut op rather than scape. The procedure is painfree as you have anaesthetic drops in so you don't feel a thing. But when these wear off can be uncomfortable but not unbearable.

Guest dorsetgang

Hi

I got my eyes lasered in May 2008 here in Adelaide. Best thing I ever did after wearing contact lenses for 20 years. The procedure was quick and painless. Went home took my painkillers which were given to me and slept for about 4 hours (as recommended). When I woke up I watched TV and felt fine. Had to put eyedrops in and hardest thing was not rubbing my eyes. I had Lasik surgery where they lift a flap. It was relatively painless, bit dry for a day or two but not as bad as I had thought it would be. Well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

I had mine done in the UK in 2003 and have no regrets - what a transformation! I was blind as a bat glasses on in the morning as soon as i opened my eyes and off last thing at night. I could not focus beyond 6" from my face. Had the LASIK surgery and was walking unaided from the bed to the recovery room. I had better than 20/20 vision immediately. Absolutely happy. I do Karate and wearing glasses / contacts was an irritation, so no more problems, swimming i can now see the deep end signs (as can't swim ;-)

Just seeing water going down the plug hole when showering was exciting from day one !

Can't endorse having laser eye surgery any more ! - really transorms your outlook (pardon the pun)!

Vijay

• 1 year later...
Guest The Dimmocks

I had my eyes lasered in 2006, best money I ever spent. My sister who came with me said at the time she would never had hers done after hearing the laser but she had hers done a few years ago. Well worth it in my experience and not had any problems with my eyes since.

Guest guest3462

I had mine done in 2003 in Manchester. I had LASIK and I find it fantastic!! I was borderline accepted as I have very thin corneas ad was pre warned that I wouldn't be able to have further surgery if there were side effects. However, it took about 3 mins in total for both eyes and was totaly painfree. The joy of being able to see my mums face as I walked out of the room was amazing. The night before rich did a visual acuity test on me and I couldn't even read the bottom line, that night I was Reading the to line no bother!!!! I have only one side effect and was told that because of the thin cornea that it would def happen and that is that I get small halos around street lights at night. It's not bad enough to affect my driving and I have learned to live with it. I would recommend this procedure to anyone. I had no pain but the feelbg of having an eyelas in my eye for a few hours. I went back to work the next day!!!

I had mine done with optimax in 2008. I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old. To say that it was the best thing I have done is an understatement!!! after my kids of course. I had lasik done and used the method for the laser to cut the cornea. It did not hurt, but just before we left the building, my eyes started to sting only way to describe it is like when you are cutting onions. I used the pain relief drops and the pain went straight away and I didn't have to use it again.

They do say that you can go back to work the next day, but I do not think so. I was off work for 1 week and really you do need this time, as your eyes adjust.

I would always recommend this procedure, it really changed my life.

If you have any questions just ask away

Prema

Guest Helenibuk

Everyone I know that has had them done has thought it was marvellous and the best thing ever. Dry eyes at first but small price to pay. Talking of price, I hear it is MUCH more expensive here than the UK :-(

Best of luck to you

I looked into prices pretty thoroughly at the time and although it may have changed, prices here were pretty much the same in dollars as it was in the UK in pounds. I know a lot of places in the UK advertise cheap prices, but then the price varies according to severity - so it could just be that because my eyes were pretty bad, it worked out cheaper here (perhaps cheaper in the UK if you are just very slightly short-sighted?)

Useful forum here: http://www.lasermyeye.org/forums/index.php but bear in mind that generally those that post most might be those that have most problems, so keep it all in perspective!

• 4 months later...
Guest The Standalofts

I had it done about 6-7 years ago and it was brilliant, used optimax, done both eyes at the same time and had the corneas cut, the consultant wasnt happy with one of my eyes, however, I was unaware of any difference it just meant I had to use extra eye drops and go back and see them a few extra times. Had dry eyes for quite a time after it, but nothing saline drops didnt sort.

It was painless - infact I would rather get my eyes done again than get a tooth out!

Lesley

Think from memory mine were about $2500 per eye - but you can claim some of that back against tax here. Mine are still brilliant and bionic and I love them!! It was at this place: Adelaide Eye & Laser Centre

Out of interest I just googled some prices in the UK and found this which is useful for comparison purposes: http://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk/Clinics/Default.aspx?MenuId=1

and this for Australia: http://www.lasik.com.au/EligibilityCost/CompareCosts.aspx

• 4 months later...
Guest Woody and Jane

Bit of an old thread I know but I had my eyes done at the Adelaide Eye & Laser Centre three weeks ago and all I can say is "Wow!". The only downside at the moment is that I think I look a bit odd without glasses but when you've worn them everyday for about 23 years I think that's normal.

I just need to stop trying to push my non-existant glasses back up my nose every so often.

The op was quick and painless and I highly recommend it to everyone. I've been able to walk with rain blowing in my face and still be able to see for the first time in years.

Woody.

Guest The Dimmocks

LOL it took me a while to stop pushing my glasses up my nose too, and feeling on beside table to get them. Glad yours went well it is such a great feeling not having to wear them.

Guest tinkham_lee

my wife who wore glasses all the time had laser surgery about 3.5 years ago, the one where they scrape the cells. after she had painful, dry eyes and had to wear dark sunglasses for about 10 days and had to have 2 weeks off work (she used computers all day), she spent most of the time in a dark room as light made her eyes hurt. she had better than 20/20 vision after the surgery. had her eyes tested last month and she now has to wear glasses for driving.

Guest thegookeys

I had Laser Eye Surgery back in 1992 and have had near perfect vision ever since. I was 20 years old at the time and had been wearing glasses for about 2 years when I read an article in The Daily Mail about one of the journalists who had undergone the procedure - that convinced me that it was something I wanted to try. I had an initial consultation in Hampstead and was quoted £395 per eye, although they then offered me my first eye for £85 provided I had the procedure at their soon to be opened Bristol practice, I instantly agreed and had the remaining eye corrected about 12 months later (back in those days all my hard earned cash went on nightclubs, raves and clothes). A number of my family, an Aunt an Uncle and a Cousin of all used Optimax for their own treatments. No regrets.