Mozzies

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

OH has been bitten quite fiercly and is looking for some relief from mozzy bites. I haven't been very prevantative and bought anything for the apartment but reckon I should. He's bought some antiseptic cream but everywhere moreoreless shut today so reckon he might get what he needs tomorrow.

Just wondering when it could have happened. He got them bad when walking along the beach in Bulgaria one year..wonder if he got them at Noarlunga? ach..most likely in bed ..they tend to munch then when you're asleep eh.

Hope someone has some fantabulous cure :-)

TTFN..Carol Ann..(off for a well earned pint after being chief navigator today :-))

Hi,i use Dettol cream on my many bites,it is ok,but i was talking to an Aussie man 2 days ago about this and he said as soon as you are bitten rub either salt or vinegar on the bite,hurts a bit at first,but then alleviates the problem,so ill try that next time(Ouch!)No,ill try that now!All the best Sue.

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carolann, good to here you've arrived safely, hope your journey over wasn't too emotional. Hope you had a super aussie christmas. Hope all goes well.

Moira & John

Hi Moira,

It's all going really well, but I was so emotional xmas eve, totally sobbed my heart out, was on skype chatting to my mum and didn't realise she could hear me whilst I was typing...must have been really hard for her. I reckon that's the worst of the greeting over though.

Fingers crossed the housing market picks up for us both eh.

See you soon

Carol Ann..x

i got bit really badly at noarlunga beach, probly sand flies, we dont tend to get many in house but they come out at night around patio so best to cover up. Get some citronella candles or mozzie wheels if sitting outside.Always make sure fly screen is shut too. Anything with deet in will repell them, he needs some antihistamine tabs to stop the itch,i also got some clalmine type stuff you dab on , mine swell up really badly then spread and form a bruise, they dont touch my husband lol. Aparently if you take garlic and vit b complex they leave you alone :smilexmas:

Guest lastboyscout

Get yourself a spray bottle, fill halfway with dettol, then top up with baby oil, shake vigorously, then spray on yourself. Rub it in, stinks like hell but that will stop the mozzies biting him in the first place :yesxmas:

Its a bushy remedy , apparently:yesxmas:

I use it quite often especially on the beach :biggrinxmas:

Guest graandjac

:biggrinxmas:the best thing for sitting out as reccommended by SSP is Morten coils, you just light them not a great smell but they work very well, its just getting into the habit of taking mozzy spray and sun cream EVERYWHERE you go , just like you would on holiday i guess...........well it fells like holiday anyway:jiggy:

I've yet to find anything that alleviates the symptoms after getting bitten. My golden rule is to never, ever scratch. After a very itchy half hour or so, it generally settles down, though the itching can come back any time in the next 2-3 days. Of course, we all have different allergic reactions. Cazzie gets the lumps but no itching. Some people don't react at all, even though they feel themselves being bitten.

Prevention is the key! Keep those critters out of the house by always keeping fly screen doors closed. If a window doesn't have a fly screen, don't open it at night!

If sitting out any time from half an hour before sunset onwards, wear a repellent. They don't have to smell awful. My favourite is called "Off" and is sold by Foodland/Drake. It smells quite OK, and works brilliantly. You mustn't miss a single sqaure centimetre of exposed flesh, as they will bite it - so spray it on then rub it to every corner, including hands, feet (the soles too if barefoot!), neck, ears etc. If you are somewhere with a known mosquito problem, spray your clothes too - I have been bitten through my t-shirt by some fierce ones! One application will easily last a couple of hours.

Generally, you don't need repellent during the day, but dark/damp corners and rainforest-type environments will have mozzies lurking at all times. I have been told that they love to live under mulch in the garden - so if you have woodchip mulch, you will have mosquitoes. I get bitten all year round if I don't wear repellent, so ignore people who say that winter is safe.

• 2 months later...
Guest soggy
I've yet to find anything that alleviates the symptoms after getting bitten. My golden rule is to never, ever scratch. After a very itchy half hour or so, it generally settles down, though the itching can come back any time in the next 2-3 days. Of course, we all have different allergic reactions. Cazzie gets the lumps but no itching. Some people don't react at all, even though they feel themselves being bitten.

Prevention is the key! Keep those critters out of the house by always keeping fly screen doors closed. If a window doesn't have a fly screen, don't open it at night!

If sitting out any time from half an hour before sunset onwards, wear a repellent. They don't have to smell awful. My favourite is called "Off" and is sold by Foodland/Drake. It smells quite OK, and works brilliantly. You mustn't miss a single sqaure centimetre of exposed flesh, as they will bite it - so spray it on then rub it to every corner, including hands, feet (the soles too if barefoot!), neck, ears etc. If you are somewhere with a known mosquito problem, spray your clothes too - I have been bitten through my t-shirt by some fierce ones! One application will easily last a couple of hours.

Generally, you don't need repellent during the day, but dark/damp corners and rainforest-type environments will have mozzies lurking at all times. I have been told that they love to live under mulch in the garden - so if you have woodchip mulch, you will have mosquitoes. I get bitten all year round if I don't wear repellent, so ignore people who say that winter is safe.

try toothpaste (really), rub it onto a bite, mine still look bad but it stops the itching.

Simon:D

Hi

Whenever we get bitten by mozzies and my partner who works around pools does often, we use a mozzies clicker, which we bought last xmas from boots when we went back to uk for a holiday.

You just click the bite a couple of times and it stops the itching, we have seen them in chemists here now.

Regard

Sandra

HI

Dont know if you have Avon books in Oz but if you do their green Skin so soft dry oil spray if fantastic. We are bikers in Scotland and often up round the Lochs where there are swarms of the wee blighters. Spray some oil on before you go out in the morning and they will not come anywhere near you. It even smells quite nice. There has even been lots written about it in the press. Avon have a website so you could try it www.avon.com.au. Good luck