Probably sounds trivial at the moment but ...

Guest Lisado

I am having a mild panic over what happens if your child is sick and can't go to school in Oz. My wee one is off school today and I am lucky she is at my parents but if they couldnt I would be able to stay off and take unpaid leave. However, we wont have that luxury in Oz. What does everyone there do?

I am waiviering over money / jobs etc and whether we should come and now today, Amelia being poorly has made me wobble all the more :(

Lisa

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Lisa

To be honest, this is a worry for me too. At the end of the day family comes first and I would ring in sick and explain the situation. May not go down too well if it is a regular occurance but heck, what else can you do? You cant send them to a child minder poorly so there is no option. SA Government is actively recruiting skilled migrants, particularly Brits, and therefore surely, some allowance must be made for the fact that we will face difficult situations like this one. Other alternative is to make good friends with someone, like me, straightaway and we can help each other out!! Dont let this put you off though, money and jobs fair enough, but not this. It is a hurdle that can be jumped. Dont worry.

Mandy

Hi Mandy

Thats a great idea :idea:

I have felt sick with nerves all day thinking about this. I think I am getting into a tizz as the end of the process is coming and now with Amelia being off ill - I just though what will I do - cancel whole process cos of this?

At least I am not the only one who has thought about it :D

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I think its only natural to worry about things like this, I had to drop my kids off Sunday night at my folks so they could get them to nursery for me whilst I went to a meeting down South. My husband drives a van so only has one seat! This got me thinking about the times I will need help in Australia but lots of people don't have the support of others , like Mandy said, you will always have friends int the same situation as you and I'm sure these things are just being highlighted now as the visa looms. There must be loads of families who have left very helpful grandparents behind and deal with it no problem.

Don't let this put you off, you have gone so far.

Guest Lulujim
Hi Lisa

I think its only natural to worry about things like this, I had to drop my kids off Sunday night at my folks so they could get them to nursery for me whilst I went to a meeting down South.

You didn't stop by and visit me!! :sad:

We'll have to sort out some sort of childcare/babysitting support system for all of us ex-pats without family out there! :idea:

I really do think its a good idea. I did do childminding here before I went back to work and couldn't take children who were ill only because guidelines prevented this. However, I would have happily taken in poorly children as I reckon kids get ill wherever they are or whoever they meet.

Defos something to think about.

You didn't stop by and visit me!! :sad:

We'll have to sort out some sort of childcare/babysitting support system for all of us ex-pats without family out there! :idea:

Hee Hee, when I say down south I mean Nottingham!!! Its still a 2 hour drive for me and Grimsby was more! See I do go out of my way now and then. Dont worry, when I have to go to head office on 7th May (if you are still here) Ill be popping in or even staying on your sofa for the night - Will you still have a sofa??

• 2 months later...
Guest mayjess

Your new friends in OZ will become your family, if you pick the right ones, I unfortunately didnt, with one particular person, I used to drop her kids off at school every day, until one day mine were off sick and she got a cob on with me as hers didnt go into school either!!! amazing, surfice to say I stopped associating with her!

Mayjess

Guest mayjess
I think we find that eveywhere. I have found a similar thing here - I choose my friends very carefully.

Oh I totally agree with you, it happens the world over, I`m usually a good judge of character, we all have mad moments in life:wacko:

Mayjess

Guest sandar1

Hey I have been there, both here in Oz (where there were relatives but they didn't really help only under sufferance both sets of grandparents had immigrated here and felt that they had no help and managed and so could we) and overseas in India and the US. Its true your new friends will become your new family and at times a more understanding and caring family really. My rule of thumb just be careful, if you move to a new city and someone has lived here their whole life and you are their very best friend (and for that matter only friend) beware, god have I been caught also.

Anyway I digress, seems to me that with the number of posters here and many it appears living in areas close to one another that maybe it may be a good business for someone to start up a business giving emergency day care. I have shared nannies also in the past, has worked for me, and there should be strict ground rules. There are also people who are desperate to earn a little extra cash but don't want to work full time. I have also had a granny who was missing her grandchildren help out for a couple of years, it gave her a little bit of pin money, the kids a rent a granny and someone to go to grandparent day at school (which seems like a good idea but that was a hard day, having been there myself at both ends of the spectrum I wish they hadn't started those days).

All the best, keep your chin up, it will be worth it. Strange thing is that my kids became the closest grandchildren to both sets of grandies because they did live overseas and when we came to visit them and they came to visit us it was for longer periods of time and more concentrated quality time. They all have just amazing relationships and discuss everything with one another. It is not easy these days being a working mum (and dad) a bit different to the days when mum's stayed at home, and one day if we get to meet I will tell you about how women were made to leave work here right up until the late 60s early 70s when they got married.

You'll be fine, and you will get a lot of support from this group when feeling a bit down.

Sandra