Annual worldwide holiday insurance

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Do you think it would be worthwhile, when we get over on SIR 495, taking out Annual holiday insurance? That way if anything major did happen you would only pay the excess and the insurance would foot the rest of the bill. As 495 is not "permanent" residence do you think this would be feasible. I appreciate it's not a "holiday" as such but it's not permanent either.

Would appreciate any advice please.

Kind regards

Carol Ann

Guest dglamoore

What would the insurance be for? We are on an SIR 495 and have contents insurance for our house and reciprocal Medicare through the agreement with the UK until we have PR so are also covered for necessary healthcare :rolleyes:

Lisa:cool:

Guest rockpool crab
What would the insurance be for? We are on an SIR 495 and have contents insurance for our house and reciprocal Medicare through the agreement with the UK until we have PR so are also covered for necessary healthcare :rolleyes:

Hi there,

I'm just thinking the worst. There's an horrific accident and the hospital bill runs into 10's of thousands. I know there is reciprocal medicare but if the bill was huge..you would still have to pay out a fair whack. I'm thinking this extra insurance might foot the rest of the bill and you would only have to pay excess. It's just a thought...annual holiday insurance only around 60 - 70 quid....if I thought this would cover those type of extreme accidents then I'd think about it.

Thanks for replying.

Carol Ann

Guest dglamoore

For an accident you would not get a bill of any sort and if you need to go to a doctor that bulk bills you would not get a bill either. The only thing you need to get is Ambulance cover (about $107 for family per year) or you would get charged for an Ambulance call out (about $700) the same as anyone else in SA.

Guest rockpool crab
For an accident you would not get a bill of any sort and if you need to go to a doctor that bulk bills you would not get a bill either. The only thing you need to get is Ambulance cover (about $107 for family per year) or you would get charged for an Ambulance call out (about $700) the same as anyone else in SA.

Thats excellent news. I'll print this off and show my father-in-law who is intent on thinking up every scenario possible that we might encounter...I guess it's no bad thing..but I feel stupid when I don't know the answers :-)

Thanks Lisa.

Guest dglamoore

There are always worries and things to find out but always someone on here to help and offer advice and support :D You will also hear lots of negative comments where people try and put you off - normally those who wish they could go themselves :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

Hi Lisa, Just reading through posts and interested to hear that there is medical cover for people coming over on temp visa's we are coming over on sir 495 also what do we need to do to register or where can i find out more info on what benifits are included etc.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Hi Lisa, Just reading through posts and interested to hear that there is medical cover for people coming over on temp visa's we are coming over on sir 495 also what do we need to do to register or where can i find out more info on what benifits are included etc.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Hi,

those of us on a sir 495 are covered by reciprocal Medicare through the agreement with the UK so private insurance is not needed, you can register when you arrive, have you arranged the meet and greet service? where someone will meet you at the airport and help you sort out medicare and tax file number ect. have a look on http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au click on skilled worker then services to find out more.

this link http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.shtml give you info on what you would be entitled to from medicare under the reciprocal agreement.

hope this helps

Simon

That's great Simon, thanks for your help i will have a look at the websites. We do intend to book the meet and greet service when visa confirmed etc ,seems like a very good service to good to miss out on eh. Xray's booked for friday and medicals on the 12th February fingers crossed!How long did you wait from this stage ?Hope all goes well with your move.

Karen

That's great Simon, thanks for your help i will have a look at the websites. We do intend to book the meet and greet service when visa confirmed etc ,seems like a very good service to good to miss out on eh. Xray's booked for friday and medicals on the 12th February fingers crossed!How long did you wait from this stage ?Hope all goes well with your move.

Karen

Hi,

have you got a case officer yet? my medicals arrived in Sydney on 3/11/07 I got case officer 19/11/07 and he requested meds, I told him they were already in Sydney and visa was issued on 7/12/07, this was Friday and got the grant email on Monday, this included a 5 day delay that you wont have as I had to pay £1200 for my wifes English course.

wont be long now:)

Simon

No don't have a case officer yet doing same as you guys did in preparation and hopefully to speed things up !!! Agent advised next step was to have medicals and police checks carried out and sent by courier which is just about where were at. Thanks for your help, his site has been a great find.

Cheers