Private Health Insurance... Good/Bad

Guest The Pickles

Guest The Pickles

Hi there, can anyone recommend a Private Health Insurance company and suggest what type of insurance a family of 3 should look at... we won't be entitled to Medicare for the first couple of years and will need prescriptions/glasses etc covered. I've looked at a few of the companies websites but it's a minefield!

Any good companies to recommend and any bad ones to avoid would be really useful.

Many thanks!

Marilyn, Glenn & Louis (age 3)

we are with mutual community. my kids all went to see a members first dentist and it cost me nothing. it would have cost close to $1000 for the 3 of them just for check ups and cleans and xrays. daughters glasses cost 175 instead of 370. Medicare will cover you for medical treatment under the reciprocal agreement. Medeicare doesnt cover dental or physio or chiro or podietry etc

Guest kellyp

We, like you, were only entitled to reciprocal health care when we got here. We went with Medibank Private and have had dental, optical and orthodontic work (between 5 of us, not all of us) and I feel it is worth the payments. It seems really expensive but worth it to me.

Kelly

Guest panther
Hi there, can anyone recommend a Private Health Insurance company and suggest what type of insurance a family of 3 should look at... we won't be entitled to Medicare for the first couple of years and will need prescriptions/glasses etc covered. I've looked at a few of the companies websites but it's a minefield!

Any good companies to recommend and any bad ones to avoid would be really useful.

Many thanks!

Try Helath Partners

Guest Rob and Clare

Many thanks!

If your young and healthy then this really is a form of insurance, by and large these providers plan on receving more money than paying out, so you could be better off without it.

If you earn as a couple though more than a certain value (i think $130K) then the tax office will hit you for an extrra 1% of your income if you don't have private insurance, so in those circumstance it's financially worthwhile.

If your keen on insurance then it's worth shopping around for the cheapest with the shortest waiting period. There are some medical insurance websites to compare these like www.iselect.com.au/compare

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,my husband and I are with SGIC and have not faulted them,however last year we decided to take the hospital cover off and go solely with Extras Plus which we find excellent.

The reason we did that was that having both worked in the private sector as nurses the care is far superior in the public system the only thing in our opinion,is that you get a carpet on the floor,an ensuite and silver cutlery and not to forget a glass of wine (depending on what your having done)with your meals. All praises for the public system. Drs are always on hand for you and your kids.

Whichever company you choose, make sure the first thing you do is pay $100 for a years ambulance cover. If you needed an ambulance while you were making up your mind, it is well worth having, even if your private cover ends up including this too. It's available from any Post Office.

Whichever company you choose, make sure the first thing you do is pay $100 for a years ambulance cover. If you needed an ambulance while you were making up your mind, it is well worth having, even if your private cover ends up including this too. It's available from any Post Office.

I have an extras package with Mutual community. Have not opted for hospital cover, as like others have said, have found the care in the public system to be excellent.

Must admit it took me a while to take out extras cover...didnt bother for the first 3 years of being here....but once things seemed to happen....more dental care needed, my daughter needs regular physio, my son needs glasses etc...etc..I decided to take a policy out.

Always had ambulance cover.....although took me 3 months to get round to that...got up one morning and thought must get it sorted....that night, we had to call an ambulance for my son.........sadly, as hadnt got cover sorted......cost us nearly $700!!!

Now have ambulance cover as part of our extras insurance. And of course since then, have had to call another ambulance for my husband!!

Guest The Pickles

Thanks everyone... as mentioned we don't qualify for Medicare for the first couple of years so expect we'll have to get a full monty private insurance policy... even though we're currently all fit and healthy you just don't know what's round the corner do you?

Thanks again x

Thanks everyone... as mentioned we don't qualify for Medicare for the first couple of years so expect we'll have to get a full monty private insurance policy... even though we're currently all fit and healthy you just don't know what's round the corner do you?

Thanks again x

Oh i can definitely vouch for that!!! Never had to call an ambulance in our life! Now 2 in just over 3 years!!!!!

I have hospital and extras cover with Mutual Community and after a bad fall this week, they actually waived my 2 month initial wait period, a couple of weeks early. I pay $60 a month just for myself, for young singles saver. My local hospital is not in their network, but I haven't heard good things about that hospital (Modbury) anyway;)

Guest LOOBYLOO

Thanks again x

Hi

Even on a Temp Visa you are entitled to Medicare (reciprocal). We filled out a form, took it to the Medicare office with our passports and have received Medicare cards for the whole family. We only have private extras cover (dental/optical/ambulance).