Sun Protection

Guest Annette and Tim

Guest Annette and Tim

Tim's better half here. Will be in Oz on the 2nd May (Can't beleive it's actually going to happen)! Just a quick question about Sun Protection. I am a bit worried about being out in the sun as I have a red mark on my face and if I am out in the sun for too long it makes it worse. What is the best thing I can use? I wear make up but not all of the time. Can I put sun cream on and then wear make up with a sun protection factor in it?

Tim's better half here. Will be in Oz on the 2nd May (Can't beleive it's actually going to happen)! Just a quick question about Sun Protection. I am a bit worried about being out in the sun as I have a red mark on my face and if I am out in the sun for too long it makes it worse. What is the best thing I can use? I wear make up but not all of the time. Can I put sun cream on and then wear make up with a sun protection factor in it?

We use SPF 30 pretty much all the time....but you still get burnt if its a hot day....you probably should that zind total block stuff....just respect the sun out here its like nothing you have ever experianced before.

Guest Annette and Tim

Tim's other half here. Thanks, I'll get some hats for me and the kids, won't be sunbathing - not really a sun person - get prickly heat also, but you still have to be out in it doing your daily stuff. Could put on a really high sun protection cream in the morning, then make up if necessary but then I wouldn't be able to put sun cream on later on, was under the impression you had to re-apply sun cream every few hours is this right?

Hi,tims other half!!

Correct, you should apply spf 30, or higher about 30 mins before exposure, and at regular intervals when outside.

The uv light here is very different to anything you have experienced before...............i tan easily, but have moved to a factor 30, always wear sunnies outside but not a hat.

i insist that the kids use factor 30, even now its autumn, if their going out for any length of time!

May is autumn, here, but the sun is still strong.................why take any risk??????

My sun burnt after applying F30, once befor school................then was outside all day without applying more: result.......frazzled; he's learned a valuable lesson methinks!

Enjoy your visit

Jane

Guest graandjac

:notworthy:to all the above .......the sun is so hot you wont believe it.......factor 30 is the least you should wear, and i love the sun.....even on a cloudy day you can get burnt.......go to the beach in the summer and you can see the new arrivals.......all burning .....:goofy:. Enjoy the sun sensibly

Guest sandar1

I use a Sorbelene body lotion with factor 30 in it all over my face and body each morning no matter what. Look for that it is not too sticky if you get the right one, you may want to swap around, I also use it on my face (it was voted in choice magazine as the best moisturiser to use on your face several years back competing with all the expensive makeup brands) when I came here on vacation from os I took the bottle back with me and compared ingredients until I came up with the overseas equivalent. My skin is great and I have lived for years in hot climates including Oz and India.

I use a makeup also with factor 30 in it, obviously if you are having a day out keep reapplying but most of the time you are not going to be exposed all day, just be careful and do keep on those sunnies (or end up with cattaracts which my doctor attributed to the sun), do wear a hat, I have some fantastic ones, and love wearing them, makes for good conversation also.

You take care, slip slap slop, slip on a tee shirt, slap on a hat, slop on the sunscreen (think that's the order in which it goes). Its raining here today so I wont need to do any of that.

Have a great Anzac day weekend, and thanks to all the guys and gals out there who fought for us to have this wonderful life.

Sandra

• 1 year later...

Factor 30 is what the cancer council and professionals say you should use. Too many children in Australia are vit D deficient due to total sun block being used and preventing that valuable vit D getting into you. If you reapply regulary, where a hat and proper sunnies you will be fine, also wearing a t-shirt rather than strappy top if you are out all day is a good idea. Can't help with the make-up as don't wear it to the beach! I have ginger haired children and 2 blond children (and one not sure yet!) and apart from 1 they have never burnt, my 4 year old with ginger hair and very fair skin has got red before but we just apply more often for her and use the zinc sticks across her cheeks where she has burnt before and all good now. Buy your suncream here it is cheaper and alot easier to apply, soaks in esier, less greasy than the UK ones. We buy a large pump action tub from k-mart, Big W etc and the kids are now in the habit of putting it on before going out!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Mitchell
Hi do kids get the chance (or reminded) to re-apply when at school!?

My (almost) 4 year old nephew recites "no hat, no play" that he learned at nursery in WA. I suspect that kids will be well educated on this at school.

Hey... Try new 'Invisible zinc' I sat in the sun at the cricket on the hill for 7 and 1/2 hours on Saturday. There was no shade and whilst i don't recommend sitting in the sun for so long I had this stuff on and I had no sun burn (or tan) for that matter. I did sport a hat though. You can put in on under make-up too it says so on the tin...

Well worth it I reckon and you dont have silly white on your face as it's invisible....

:notworthy:

Guest motlyman

I use Solrx Block and Tackle for my business and general use.

The reason is, it's guaranteed good in and out of water for 4 hrs. Obviously a necessity in my job. It is expensive but maybe better than skin Cancer:err:

Colin

Guest kangomik

The sun is always fierce over here, even in winter. Also at the moment with the cooler air people can be fooled into thinking it's too cold to get burnt. The sun will always win though.

Many use factor 30 or even factor 50 over here. Can't give advise on the make up but i know the kids are looked after at school in regards to no hat no play.

Rash vests (rashie's) at the beach are more for sun protection than for skin irritation.

Hi do kids get the chance (or reminded) to re-apply when at school!?

Just noticed you have a dog too - remember to dab a bit on the dogs nose when it's out in the sun too!

For younger kids, my sister in law has some great full length kids rashie suits for her littlies, sort of like wetsuits but lighter - she ordered them from an online site, I'll try and find out the name of it.

Not sure if this is where she got hers from, but this is the sort of thing.. http://www.sunprotectionclothes.com/bcw/public/product/PView.asp?i0=1462&d0=Sun%20and%20Stinger%20Protection%20Suits

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my little one was out at the park for most of the day. It was cloudy. He was burnt to a crisp last night. Even his ozzie mates were..who's mums are really respectful of the sun.

• 2 weeks later...
We use SPF 30 pretty much all the time....but you still get burnt if its a hot day....you probably should that zind total block stuff....just respect the sun out here its like nothing you have ever experianced before.

sunscreen was only ever meant to to be used for those parts of your body that you can't protect any other way.

Even then, you will need to put plenty on at least twenty minutes before you go out, (-and renew it every two hours), whatever trhe label says.

Really you are always going to be better off keeping a broad brimmed hat near the door and put it on every time you go outside.

Akubras look good, but are very expensive and difficult to look after well. You'll find a soft woven cotton or canvas hat much more comfortable, and you can wash them.

John B :v_SPIN:

Yesterday my little one was out at the park for most of the day. It was cloudy. He was burnt to a crisp last night. Even his ozzie mates were..who's mums are really respectful of the sun.

UV A remains very intense on lightly overcaste days during Summer in Adelaide . it bounces around all over the place, and penetrates water (and 6mm window glass) and your skin deeper than UV B.

The standard advice is: Don't rely entirely on Sunscreen; Seek out Shade and wherever possible (-fat chance with a kid) Schedule your romping around to the mornings before 10am and arvos after 3pm

John B :v_SPIN:

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading the threads abt sunscreen in Adelaide.... didn't realise you need it ALL year round!!! we are hoping to move over june/july this year all being well/Visa...

Could the girls tell me, do you tend not to bother with "daily face creams" if you are using sunscreen? we were in Mexico Nov 2010 and I was using a separate sunscreen for my face which was lovely to smell and very silky feel etc so I didn't bother using my usual face cream on holiday.....

Also, considering we should all use factor 30 on a daily basis do you still have a nice healthy colour?

Many thanks,

Janis (Scotland UK) :cute:

Guest Mitchell
Just reading the threads abt sunscreen in Adelaide.... didn't realise you need it ALL year round!!! we are hoping to move over june/july this year all being well/Visa...

Could the girls tell me, do you tend not to bother with "daily face creams" if you are using sunscreen? we were in Mexico Nov 2010 and I was using a separate sunscreen for my face which was lovely to smell and very silky feel etc so I didn't bother using my usual face cream on holiday.....

Also, considering we should all use factor 30 on a daily basis do you still have a nice healthy colour?

Many thanks,

Janis (Scotland UK) :cute:

I'm not fussed on how sun screen feels on my face so I bought a small handbag size moisturizer with factor 30 in it for my face so I don't get a pink nose. I slathered myself in factor 30 repeatedly for a day on the beach on boxing day and still went brown. I don't bother with sun cream on work days as I'm inside in the air con all day but if I'm going to Rundle Mall which is a street of shops in the city so you're outside a lot I'll put some on. I keep the little bottle in my handbag so if I end up unexpectedly outside I can at least do my face and shoulders/ bits that show.

• 3 months later...
Guest fatman
I'm not fussed on how sun screen feels on my face so I bought a small handbag size moisturizer with factor 30 in it for my face so I don't get a pink nose. I slathered myself in factor 30 repeatedly for a day on the beach on boxing day and still went brown. I don't bother with sun cream on work days as I'm inside in the air con all day but if I'm going to Rundle Mall which is a street of shops in the city so you're outside a lot I'll put some on. I keep the little bottle in my handbag so if I end up unexpectedly outside I can at least do my face and shoulders/ bits that show.

Thanks for advice..... can't wait to move over there!! (just waiting for house to sell now, then Adelaide here we come!!!!)

Applying sunscreen daily beats slapping on foundation to cover the white dull skin!!! (white pasty legs in summer etc.... ) ROLL ON ADELAIDE!!!!

Janis :jiggy:(Graham OH and daughter Sophie) :):arghh:

Thanks for advice..... can't wait to move over there!! (just waiting for house to sell now, then Adelaide here we come!!!!)

Applying sunscreen daily beats slapping on foundation to cover the white dull skin!!! (white pasty legs in summer etc.... ) ROLL ON ADELAIDE!!!!

Janis :jiggy:(Graham OH and daughter Sophie) :):arghh:

It's always worth having one of the small tubes in a pocket or a bag. The non-greasey ones are good as they don't leave you feeling sticky.

The sun is out now, beautiful day :)

All the best,

Cooler

Guest BurgessFamily

useful link... UV Index Forcecast

During the summer you'll get used to seeing 11+ (Extreme) on most days, but you should get into the routine of protecting your family all year round. Too many people needlessly expose themselves to the risk of skin cancer (we still have a hole in the ozone layer at times during the year which drastically increases the risk).

uv-legend-small.png