Babies...

Guest Bex & Nick

Guest Bex & Nick

Cheeky question, but has anyone had a baby whilst on an SIR 495 visa?

My H2B and I are hoping to start a family in the not too distant future but aren't sure if we're covered by Medicare and as far as I can tell there's a 12 month exclusion for pregnancy with most private health funds.

Any guidance generally on private health funds (has anyone used Australian Unity, MBF or Mutual Community?) would be great.

Thanks

Bex

Guest dglamoore

I haven't got to Adelaide yet so can't answer personally I'm afraid. I believe that on an SIR 495 all neccessary healthcare is covered by Medicare. I have read before that pregnancy comes under this covering.

You may find some more info on Adelaide Brits as there are a few members that have had babies since arriving in OZ but not sure which visa they are on.

Lisa :lol:

Bex,

Our daughter had a baby last year but we'd already been here for over 12 months plus we're here on a permenant entry visa so things might be different for us. Danni was covered by medicare.

• 3 months later...
Guest chrissy63

8) Hi can anyone tell me if babies are covered under medicare for vaccinations have a 12 month old and its likely wont have had all his immunisastions here before we go

8) Hi can anyone tell me if babies are covered under medicare for vaccinations have a 12 month old and its likely wont have had all his immunisastions here before we go

YES they are, our grandson has had all childhood jabs for his age so far and Danni hasn't been asked to pay for any. Tori (in the kids section of this forum) just had the first of three jabs for cervical cancer.

But like I said, we came here on a PR visa.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Russfamily

My wife had both our children in south Australia the first in 1999 at the queen elizabeth in north Adelaide we had our own private room tv all mod cons all on medicare, then mother and baby were flown back to Roxby Downs where i was working in the mines, our second child was born in Port Augusta 2000 on medicare again. When she had our first child we were permanent residents by the time we had our second we were Australian citizens. My wife said the service was great and has nothing bad to say about both experiences

about the jabs, they were then all included our second child had a new type of jab when we came home the surgery here did not hand this jab out as it was to expensive (nhs) they wanted to charge us £60 per jab

• 4 months later...