Question for the girls

Guest brandyslad

Guest brandyslad

Going to see my doc today to get a renewal of my contraceptive pill. I know prescriptions aren't free over there so I am going to try and push her for 6 months worth.

But can anyone tell how much prescriptions are specifically contraceptives, is it cheaper/dearer? And in simple what is this bulk billing I have seen mentioned?

Bulk billing refers to whether you will get charged for your visit to the doctor or not, if your doctor DOESN'T bulk bill, you will have to pay the 'gap' the difference between what your doctor charges for a visit and the amount medicare will reimburse.

If they do bulk bill, you won't have to pay for your visit, but you will have to pay for your medication. costs - might depend on actual name of contraceptive - what do you use?

Guest salisbury massive

When we first came, my pill cost around $29 per perscription but I got 3 months worth and a repeat script for the next 3 months so I didn't have to go back every 3 months. I think the cost can depend on what type of pill it is. when we left the Uk I out right asked my doctor for 6 months worth, I told her we were going to Australia for 6 months & would she be so kind. After the 6 months was up, I sent a letter to my mums and got her to drop it in saying we were staying and wanted to come off their list.

Bulk billing simply means that some doctors do not charge for a consultation, you sign a form when you leave and they sort it out with medicare. If your doctor doesn't bulk bill you pay a fee to see the doctor, medicare cover a portion and you pay the gap. So the first doctor I went to charged $50, medicare pay I think $37.50 so i pay the gap of $12.50 Sorry for repeat info - foxychick was quicker than me.

Most doctors bulk bill for children anyway.

Jo

Guest brandyslad

I'm on Cerazette, I have to be on it as I was on another type before and they caused blinding headaches so I would have to request this one, knowing my luck they probably don't do it! I must ask the doctor I know they was chat about mini pill etc but to be honest I was just so glad to be headache free I never absorbed this info.

Guest caoimhe

I needed some medication when I was coming out here and just asked my doctor for a 6 month script to enable me to get settled and find time to get a doctor I liked, I got it no prob

• 2 months later...

when you collect the prescription, ask the pharmacist if there is a cheaper brand as it may reduce the costs.

A friend of mine had a prescription for 1 month and it cost her the same as three months supply!!

Get as much as you can & get a prescription for condoms too. ( you may as well as they are free in the uk)

hiya girls, we havent got to oz yet but i knew i would have to pay for the pill . so to have one less thing to worrie about i sent my oh for the snip ..lol. ( i sat in the cafe across from the clinic and had a coffee and the biggest cake i could find ) how cruel am i ..

xx

Guest The Dimmocks
hiya girls, we havent got to oz yet but i knew i would have to pay for the pill . so to have one less thing to worrie about i sent my oh for the snip ..lol. ( i sat in the cafe across from the clinic and had a coffee and the biggest cake i could find ) how cruel am i ..

xx

Hi

That is so cruel LOL.

Going to see my doc today to get a renewal of my contraceptive pill. I know prescriptions aren't free over there so I am going to try and push her for 6 months worth.

But can anyone tell how much prescriptions are specifically contraceptives, is it cheaper/dearer? And in simple what is this bulk billing I have seen mentioned?

Hey Lisa

Hows things? Where are you staying and are you all settled in? Can't remember when you arrived (probably on your signature but didnt read it) Hope its all going well for you and we wont have to have that beans on toast BBQ.

Denise

Guest The Pickles

Hahahahaha! Brilliant

Marilyn

xx

Guest Andrew&Ren

I brought about about 6 months supply but went to the docs just last week to see if mine was available here....it was but under a different name, the doc spent ages googling the name and working it all out! He said i should have took the original packaging, box etc and that would have made it easier as he could see the ingredients. We got there in the end and it cost $20 for 4 months which i think is pretty good....the chemist will ask if you dont mind the cheaper branded one.

Good luck with the move xxx

Oh, i can SO beat that one love!!!!

16th jan 1998..........less than 24 hrs after giving my beloved the requisite female offspring, we left the hospital!! Daft quack asked were we sure!!! I mean really? number 4 hatched and was we sure??? So the answere was its you or the house bricks and a bread knife!!!!

He had the doc do it....................coward; strangely he walked like he delivered a 9lb 4oz baby..............whilst i continued to walk with gazelle like grace...............men, such big girls blouses........:P

Guest Aussie pat
I'm on Cerazette, I have to be on it as I was on another type before and they caused blinding headaches so I would have to request this one, knowing my luck they probably don't do it! I must ask the doctor I know they was chat about mini pill etc but to be honest I was just so glad to be headache free I never absorbed this info.

I'm really sorry to have to tell you Cerazette isn't available in Australia. There is no equivalent and you may have to swap to a bulk standard mini pill. I work in sexual health over here and really miss it as it's a great product. If it were available over here it would be one of the expensive ones as the hormone in it is also found in a combined pill that is available. This hormone is not under the prescription benefits scheme where the government makes a contribution to the cost. People using it have to pay the full amount.

• 3 years later...

Hi

Just wondering as this is an old post now if any one ever did find Cerazette in Australia or a good equivalent? I have today been to the doctor armed with the ingredients etc to be told there was nothing similar, not even another POP and after the side effects of the combined pills I'm really not happy taking what was prescribed to me, Ive been there done that and tested them all I would rather stay on something similar than have to start again as if I was a teenager all over and go through the steps of trying everything until I find something suitable.

Hi Sarah,

i'm in the same boat, no Cerazette available in Aussie!!! I don't know what my gp will prescribe me in October when i'm running out of my last pills...

The only thing i know is, that they don't have exactly the same hormone here, and when it's not under the PBS from the government it would be very expensive. May i ask you what you have to pay for 3 months?

Cerazette is the best pill in the world, i couldn't stand all the others because of my migrane the other contrarezeptives (tried also several pills) caused to me!

Hopefully, one day Australia get Cerazette? there seems to be no sign of getting it here in hundred years, seems to expensive for the government.

Cheers, Rabeah

I haven't yet managed to find an alternative I saw doc last week who couldn't find anything similar so gave me zoely which is a combination pill and I didn't realise til I got home, lucky they gave me a free sample. I know it won't agree with me as I can only have pop so another doc booked this week to try again. I have found an online pharmacy hoping that I can just get a prescription and order online

I have managed to see an English Doctor today who actually knew what Cerazette was! So all sorted now prescribed me Micronor (i think thats what its called) managed to get 4 months for $13 at Chemist King. Having a good doctor really helps as the first one was a bit rubbish. I have been to 2 docs here one in Blackwood on Main Road as this is near where we first lived and one in Brighton near the rail crossing and I would recommend the Blackwood docs for a good service and knowledge.

I have managed to see an English Doctor today who actually knew what Cerazette was! So all sorted now prescribed me Micronor (i think thats what its called) managed to get 4 months for $13 at Chemist King. Having a good doctor really helps as the first one was a bit rubbish. I have been to 2 docs here one in Blackwood on Main Road as this is near where we first lived and one in Brighton near the rail crossing and I would recommend the Blackwood docs for a good service and knowledge.

So is that one good for migraine sufferers as it is much cheaper than mine!

• 1 month later...
Thanks Sarah, good information. Micronor is the equivalent for Cerazette I suppose. I'll write down the name so I'm prepared when I'll visit my gp in October.

Hi all,

I was just googling Cerazette in Australia and came across this thread!

I was on Cerazette for a couple of years in the UK and loved it because I got no migraines but also, no periods whatsoever! I got used to the convenience and freedom and so was gutted to find it's not available here. I was prescribed Micronor in September and it seems to be fine...except, I've had three periods in about 6 weeks and I'm over it already! The doc was very good, he went on the Cerazette website and gave me the closest pill he could fine in terms of progesterone but does anyone know if there's something else in Cerazette that would stop my period coz I want that back!! Failing that, is there anywhere SAFE it can be had online??

thanks ladies,

Tx

I am also on micronor, apparently it is common to have regular periods for the first 2 months (I'm going to count it as 3 as my first didn't come for a month and being on cerazette I wasn't on a period when I started taking micronor) and then most people don't get periods at all, if I think back to starting taking cerazette it did take almost a year to stop periods all together so I'm hoping this is just temporary however if it carries on as regular as it is now ill be going back to doctor.

there is no where safe that I know of u can buy cerazette online without a prescription but if there is I would happily pay for it! If u are really desperate to stay on cerazette you can get up to 3 months from uk online pharmacies shipped to u but have to pay £ i did this once in the uk at Christmas time as I didn't have time I go doc and it cost a fortune!

hope this helps, I would give the micronor a fair chance (hard I know!) and if after a few months its no better go back to doc see if they can give u something else, perhaps implanon - I had this before cerazette and it was a nightmare but cerazette fine but they are the same just implanon u don't have to remember to take a pill

I am also on micronor, apparently it is common to have regular periods for the first 2 months (I'm going to count it as 3 as my first didn't come for a month and being on cerazette I wasn't on a period when I started taking micronor) and then most people don't get periods at all, if I think back to starting taking cerazette it did take almost a year to stop periods all together so I'm hoping this is just temporary however if it carries on as regular as it is now ill be going back to doctor.

there is no where safe that I know of u can buy cerazette online without a prescription but if there is I would happily pay for it! If u are really desperate to stay on cerazette you can get up to 3 months from uk online pharmacies shipped to u but have to pay £ i did this once in the uk at Christmas time as I didn't have time I go doc and it cost a fortune!

hope this helps, I would give the micronor a fair chance (hard I know!) and if after a few months its no better go back to doc see if they can give u something else, perhaps implanon - I had this before cerazette and it was a nightmare but cerazette fine but they are the same just implanon u don't have to remember to take a pill

Thanks so much Sarah, it's reassuring to know that someone else has had the same effects from taking that particular pill. I found a website meds4all.co.uk which claims to be associated with a London pharmacy and will supply Cerazette. I can't decide if it's be legit but I was wondering how you managed to get it from a UK online pharmacy? I would happily pay for it simply because I know it works for me and I have absolutely no patience for 'breaking in' a new pill! I had to use something else for a few months last year as there was a shortage of Cerazette and I was like a looney until i got back on it :arghh:

thanks again,

T

• 2 weeks later...

I was also on Cerazette and started with Micronor this week, thanks to this tread and Sarah's hint.

My GP also said that this pill is the closest one to Cerazette available here in Aussie. I don't have any side effects so far, but I got my periods again on Cerazette 4 months ago! I haven't got any periods for 2 years since starting with Cerazette, in June I got my 1st one, in August the 2nd. It's crasy how different we all are, in terms of reacting to it and Micronor in different ways.

I found Micronor is also a cheap contrareceptive pill, only 15 bucks for 4 months compared I was used to pay in Europe...

Hopefully, we all can tolerate this new stuff. Good luck