? winter clothes

Guest dibdobs

Guest dibdobs

I am just packing our cases as our stuff is being shipped on Wed, and i am not sure what clothes to put in. I have read that Adelaide gets a bit nippy in the winter and we should pack a few sweaters. Do the kids still wear shorts during the day and should i pack my flip flops ? :jiggy:

Gets bloody cold at night, mind you, maybe thats because we're used to the hot summers now. I would pack sweaters and long trousers, along with some shorts and t-shirts for the warmer winter days. As for flip flops (thongs!!!) i wear them all year round, and good for going to beach on the warmer days, but normal shoes would also be a good idea until your stuff arrives. Remember it is a one way flight and because your emmigrating, you should get more baggage allowance, check with your airline.

Guest brandyslad
I am just packing our cases as our stuff is being shipped on Wed, and i am not sure what clothes to put in. I have read that Adelaide gets a bit nippy in the winter and we should pack a few sweaters. Do the kids still wear shorts during the day and should i pack my flip flops ? :jiggy:

Hi there,

We are in the process of packing too, we head out on the 20th, my OH is a welder too. I can't give you a firm answer on the clothes but yes I think from replies I have seen before and from chatting my cousin who is in Adelaide they do need sweaters during their winter, it might not be warm enough for flips flops and shorts all the time, I think, but someone should be along soon to clairfy. Just wanted to say hello as you will be arriving just after us. Has your hubby secured work?

Guest Guest75

I'd certainly be packing warm clothes.

Layers are the best.

The days can be relatively sunny and warm but the nights can get very cool!

17c here is very different to 17c in the UK!

We have been here for two years. We were surprised by just how cold it can get. Early mornings and late evenings can get down to 2 or 3 degrees depending upon where you are in the city. The shorts and flip flops are ok as there will be warm days but expect overcast, cloudy and dare I say "cold" weather for a few months. The sea temperature is also cooler so swimming may wait until the summer...there are indoor pools at the sports centres though.

Guest Jo&Phil

Pack the winter woolies.

Autumn temperatures in the city sit at (very) approx 14-24 degrees C day time but chillier in the hills and at night and winter is (again very) approx 10-18 degrees C ditto above

Summer is hot!

I bought warm jackets and fleeces when I first arrived but gave in after 2 years and bought a winter coat ......... I don't wear it nearly as much as I would in the UK but ....

Houses have different heating systems to the UK so can also get chilly in the evenings until you've fired up the wood burner/gas equivalent or wait for the reverse cycle heating to kick in.

You could always bring your autumn/winter stuff on the plane along with a few summery things and put the real hot weather stuff in with your shipped goods.

Guest graandjac

All the above is good advice , yes to thongs, jumpers and shorts. The kids are still going to school in shorts and ive got them on for work, good luck for the flight Adelaide awaits......:jiggy:

You definitely need jumpers, jackets, boots etc because the houses do not have central heating and often it is colder in than out. There are gas wall heaters and ducted heating but I have found most homes have individual heaters in each room which can be very expensive to run and not very good for the environment. Warm slippers and hot water bottles are an essential of Adelaide winter living!

Guest ReadyPenny

Well we have been here for just 10 weeks and you wouldnt catch me wearing shorts or thongs at this time of year. I am currently in long trousers, socks, boots and polar necks!!!!!!

Seen plenty of Aussies sporting their shorts still, even the kids at school, but as Tyke said earlier 17 here is much different to 17 in the UK. You have been warned guys, pack the jeans and woolies!!

Good luck for the journey

Mandy

Guest TC for short

I live in Coromandel Valley & last July/August I was scraping frost off my car in the mornings, so whatever you like to wear when you're de-icing...!

TC

Guest Rob and Clare

Definately bring the warm clothes with you, although the daily highs are pleasant for winter temperatures (not sure about shorts though, didn't see anyone at the weekend in shorts), but the nights are chilly. Our average night time lows for July / Aug is just 3 - 4 degs warmer than London. As TC said our July temperatures are very close to London's November temps. So whatever you wear in November in the UK you'll be wearing here in July.