De clutter, to bring or not to bring?

Guest Dawny

Guest Dawny

Hi guys, Need a little help here as i don't want to throw things out i may regret later!

Anything that you can think of that i would forget to pack would be a great help, all suggestions received happily lol.

Winter coats?

Fleece under blankets?

You name it..

Help!!!!!!

Guest sandar1

Make sure you do bring your warm coats and underblankets, anything to keep you warm it is b............y freezing of a night here lately, and not too warm some of the days, and we haven't hit winter yet, it isn't officially winter until June 21. Really good quality coats are expensive also. Really you pay for a container not really the weight, if they are charging you on the number of bags with clothing and bedding etcetera go buy yourself some of those bags that you place things in and then shrink down with the vacuum cleaner. It is amazing how much stuff you can get into one of those packing boxes doing that. I always travel with some (so that I can buy heaps) I ship stuff back here for the shop in them all the time gives them protection and surprisingly everything is not creased when it arrives, don't ask me why because I haven't worked it out. When I have moved I found that it was th every day stuff ie mops buckets brooms shower curtains that really added up very quickly, only problem is you will probably be in place before your shipment so packing those things is a little pointless as you will have already had to purchase same, so you can probably give them a miss and just pick up things like that at the discount stores (ie Neds, Cheap as Chips). It is hard to know what to bring I know how many times I have been talked into leaving things behind and have regretted it later, lets face it if you don't want it once it arrives sell it. Once again if you don't absolutely adore it you can pick up fabulous stuff at the thrift shops - I do it all the time.

Sandra

We are also in a position to have to think about what to take to Aus. Have already had one car boot sale. I was wondering about electrical items. Can we bring most of our stuff and just change the plugs, eg kettles, toasters, radio, cd players etc.? Will probably buy new computer and TV once we get there.

Any advice

Guest lynne

Think about living in England in the winter without central heating and double glazing. Than you need equipment to survive through this period. So quilts, electric blankets, warm winter coats, jumpers, gloves etc. Now think what it is like in Spain during a hot summer. You will need everything for the hot weather plenty of towels, t-shirts, shorts, sandels, sunglasses etc.

When we were in Aus we found things like electrical equipment expensive kettles toasters etc also kitchen things like a good frying pan, knives and forks.

Sports clothes in Aus are more expensive and the variety is not as good as UK. So stock up before you go. Also the other clothes you can buy in Aus are expensive and not of good quality so stock up on clothes.

My friend complains the washing up powder in Aus is crap and always asks her mum to mail it over.

Fill the container, you can always throw it away in Aus if you do not need it or sell it on.

Guest turners

Bring the lot if you can if I could pack our container again I would buy heaps of bedding,loads of clothes for the kids, Gravy granules and more trainers for everyone, hot water bottles.

Also if I could have gotten away with it me central heating (lol):jiggy:

Totally agree, bring lots of bedding, duvets, etc, a bit pricey here..............and i would rip your arm off for a hot water bottle!

Electricals, cd players, stereos, tv, fridgefreezer, HD tellies will all work here; if you can, buy a new hoover, de-box it......again pricey item.

Bikes, omg can the aussies charge for bikes........................wish i could have brought Halfords:biglaugh:; OH bought a beauty there before we came, cost about £250, got asked if he'd paid over 2k here by an aussie who admired it!!

Tools, no one here does diy items like B Q; PAINT, i mean really, even Dick Turpin wore a mask!!! Wallpaper, again, Ned Kelly would have blushed:biglaugh:

If you can, flat pack as much as you can; matresses can be pricey, but the bedframes are really reasonable, go figure.

Speaking of hoovers....................if you can get a few dysons, vax etc, i would defo buy one off you; and i bet others would too, the hoovers are pants, imo.!!!

Best of luck

Jane

I don't agree 100% - you need to work out what you can survive without either end, while it's in transit. No point in bringing old duvets and quilts if you have to wait weeks for them once you get here. Toasters, kettles etc can be bought very cheaply (<$25) if you aren't fussed about the colour/ style. And it saves changing the plug!

We stuffed loads of bedding and towels etc into our units we didn't flat pack. Same with clothing. Bring jumpers etc.

You can often find good buys second hand (though second hand stuff is more expensive than it would be in the UK) - just depends what you are after. I have managed to get all the basics for our household at prices I thought were reasonable - and I'm tight LOL. I always have a price in mind and will shop around until I get it. It also depends on whether you have the time to do this.

I didn't want to spend a fortune shipping over our cheap furniture from the UK. Ask the shipping companies when they quote you what to take. They said my sofas would cost about £400 worth of space. I only paid £200 for them in the first place so it was a no brainer. Managed to sell them on for £200 again anyway and then bought almost new ones here from someone on this forum who was going back to the UK. I advise you to sell as much as you can too - can be tricky and time consuming, but we made a lot of money and only did 2 trips to the dump! Best of luck sorting! xxx

Tools, no one here does diy items like B Q; PAINT, i mean really, even Dick Turpin wore a mask!!! Wallpaper, again, Ned Kelly would have blushed:biglaugh:

Jane

Hey what about Bunnings Warehouse - where lowest prices are just the beginning.:D..they price match on all their stuff...

I work there so watch what you say about the place:policeman:...only kidding....lol

Fill your container up, fill it right up with whatever you can fit in it !!!!!

HG

Guest Hansonhouse

Yes bring all of your electrical stuff and just change the plugs. Our UK TV works fine with a digibox $45 and computer works fine too

Guest heather&dean
Yes bring all of your electrical stuff and just change the plugs. Our UK TV works fine with a digibox $45 and computer works fine too

Thanks, that's good to hear because we are planning to bring all of our electrical stuff, TV, computer, printer etc. Is it much trouble to change plugs over, because all our equipment have fixed plugs?

Guest kangomik

bring everything, you can skip it once here.... you could be surprised at the prices of things here. Paid for container, may as well fill it. Anything you don't need you can ebay here.

Thanks, that's good to hear because we are planning to bring all of our electrical stuff, TV, computer, printer etc. Is it much trouble to change plugs over, because all our equipment have fixed plugs?

Hi - I've just ordered 12 adapter plugs [from ukplugs -oz] on e'bay for £14... don't know if that's cheap or not - just thought it'd save a load of hassle at t'other end if we just shoved them in our container with our stuff... don't want to be having to swop plugs over as soon as our container arrives...:nah: Jacinta

Guest turners
Hi - I've just ordered 12 adapter plugs [from ukplugs -oz] on e'bay for £14... don't know if that's cheap or not - just thought it'd save a load of hassle at t'other end if we just shoved them in our container with our stuff... don't want to be having to swop plugs over as soon as our container arrives...:nah: Jacinta

good idea we didn't think that far ahead and bought adapters here at $14 each have now just changed all the plugs over:jiggy:

Guest stufi1997

It makes me laugh a post like this....everybody (including me) starts madly scribbling down all the things I miss/should've taken. You'ld think it was a third world country:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Only ship in my opinion if you have stuff worth bringing, we left all our stuff behind as like someone before said it was cheaper to buy our same standard of tat furniture here as it was to pay for space in the container. You will find most things here, although some things ARE very hard to come by......

I totally agree about the washing powder though....it just doesn't clean the clothes my darling son treats as if they were a napkin/sledge/duster rolled into one:realmad:

Good luck with the move, Fiona xx

Guest heather&dean
Thanks for info......will be on ebay later to stock up :D

Guest kangomik

Make sure you ebay the correct adaptors for Aus, because some are advertised as being aus compatible, but don't fit.

Bunnings (B+Q) here sell plugs a couple of bucks each,

Re shipping stuff. We did NOT bring everything, we thought it would be easier to buy here.... Its not, and if you have no imediate work linned up all those dollars will count.

In hindsight we would have brought everything.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I dont know about furniture and the like but I was checking out sainsburys shop on line............I would do the shopping for the next 3 years and fill your containers, food is deffo cheaper in Uk I was shocked, But sorry guys still not enough to make me return for any longer than 2 weeks!:biglaugh:

sarah

Guest GIPSY

After about 2 weeks of non stop rain (feels like it anyway!) and an average of 10/11 degrees, the sun has finally made an appearance today. So much so, that my almost 3 year old daughter was surprised to announce that the sunshine was in the sky today! She has been singing 'Rain, Rain Go Away' most days recently!

Guest kangomik

you may be happy to know it's been a little damp of late here too. 22 was a good temp this week.

Soon be down to zero at night!

The rain has certainly made everything "POP" at the moment, the hills look lovely and green again.

Even the road verges have grass!!!!!!!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
sarah, maybe the weather will grip you once your there!

:biglaugh:You never know mik my mum says it going to be a BBQ summer there apparently! I think though she said that last year!!!

Guest GIPSY

No worries, I have packed some jumpers, PJ's and bed socks. It's nice that the rain is appreciated when it comes and that it doesn't rain most of the time! I must admit that I am looking forward to Spring there though and hoping that I will be too busy to notice winter when we arrive! I think our first Winter there will be comparable to a British Summer, until we become acclimatised next year...