Dog Migration

robm

We are still in the early stages of application, but we have two dogs and would welcome advice on how to get them out to Adelaide. From what I have seen, there are no quarantine facilities in Adelaide so i am assuming they would need to go to one of the three other states and then be shipped on? If anyone could clarify we'd be grateful as really would like to avoid rehoming. Many thanks in advance

Hi

We just sent our black labrador (Hamish) to Melbourne last week, he arrived safe and sound and is now doing his 30day stretch in Spotswood quarantine station. We phone every day!! he is sad apparently but eating and exercising, can't wait to get there and see him. Anyway, sorry, enough of that....

Before sending Hamish we got quotes from 4 different companies, the price varied from £2,200 to £2,500 so not a great difference. The thing to look out for is what you are actually getting with the quotes, ie, we went for the most expensive (Airpets) because they do EVERYTHING for you apart from one trip to the vets for blood tests. We really didnt want to risk doing it all ourselves incase we got something wrong although I do believe its pretty easy to organise yourself if you have the time and want to save some money.

Airpets organised everything from Heathrow kennels where we dropped him off. As far as getting him from Melbourne to Adelaide we have used a company called Jet Pets who are picking him up from the quarantine station in Melbourne and flying him to Adelaide then delivering him to our house in Adelaide (In 3 weeks! Can't wait) This cost $400.

A costly exercise in total but worth every penny. We really shopped around for the quotes from Melbourne to Adelaide and found this to be the cheapest.

If you need any more info just send me an email.

Denise

Guest lippy

We came from Edinburgh and used a company in Dunfermline to ship our dog across.

It's a costly business what with all the blood tests and recommended flea treatments (lessens the likelyhood of second blood tests being required) etc that need to be done within a short timeframe. Don't forget also that you shouldn't get the Lepto part of the booster done.

We used Sydney kennels as you don't generally have to book in advance - Melbourne, Perth can have waiting times for space. At the end of the day they can't do their time in Adelaide and therefore need to be transported internally in Australia so anywhere will do - the plane our dog was travelling in stopped in Sydney - so it was one less flight for her.

Once the kennels had our dog (Roz) they contacted me with the name and number of the person looking after her and I was able to phone to check on her at anytime. Roz is very people friendly and coped well with being in the kennels.

We would have loved to have brought all our dogs over with us but we did in our opinion what was best for the individual dog and rehomed our older dogs - they are now living out their days with a really great couple who still keep us updated on them.

Through competing with the dog we have met people from all over South Australia and made some really good friends not to mention having seen some of the more out lying parts of the state!

Good luck with your plans - feel free to PM me for any further details.

Julie

Guest angiestaff

hi,

our 2 dogs just arrived with us in west lakes after 4 weeks qurantine in eastern creek in sydney.... we sent them there cos it was cheaper than sending them to melbourne and was slightly quicker getting them in (we were told melbourne has a short waiting time).

we used par air in the uk, and they were fantastic!:notworthy:, they arranged everything right down to having them in there kennels for a few nights b4 they flew. everything all in we paid them 3,300 pounds,( u then have to pay quarantine costs and getting them to u).

quarantine cost us $800 for the 1st dog and then $500 for the 2nd (they shared a kennel).

to get them from sydney to our doorstep we used jetpets, and again they were fantastic!:notworthy:, it cost just under $1000 (more expensive cos it was a saturday!)

they arrived on sat and have settled in really well, they have both lost a bit of weight (ronnie looks so much better for it, i may go in quarantine for 4 weeks! lol:biglaugh:). we are getting them used to being left in the house alone (landlord is ok with this) for when we're both at work, we've registered them with the council so we won't get fined by the dog warden! and reggie has his first booster due at the vets this afternoon.

u will worry while they're not with u (we were the worst!! lol) but dogs are quite hardy and can cope with a lot.

other people will recommend whoever they used (i would advise getting at least 3 quotes) but give par air a call and speak to rachel, she was soooo friendly and answered any questions i had (even the stupid ones!:))

anything else u wanna know just ask, ange x

p.s as i'm typing all i can here is ronnie snoring her head off in the lounge lol, it's great to have them back!

We are still in the early stages of application, but we have two dogs and would welcome advice on how to get them out to Adelaide. From what I have seen, there are no quarantine facilities in Adelaide so i am assuming they would need to go to one of the three other states and then be shipped on? If anyone could clarify we'd be grateful as really would like to avoid rehoming. Many thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harper210267

Hi, we are in the early stages but are wondering what to do about our pets.

Katy; our dog is 12 this year and Gracy; the cat is also 12 this year. These are the pets we would like to take to Adelaide with us but need to know whether it's a good idea? Cost and would the flights and so on do them any harm?

By the way we have 2 ducks and 1 rabbit, which my friend will have.

Guest Suziep

Hi, we have used Airpets for the transport of our dog. We are not leaving until later in the year but they have been brilliant - we have asked lots of silly questions but we have been met by a friendly, helpful team. Our spaniel/lab x is not very brave & hates travelling so we are apprehensive about her travelling across the world but dogs are very hardy & she will be fine although it will have cost us £2,500 up until end of quarantine then a £200 flight to Adelaide, all worth it! Our other dog died unexpectedly whilst we were on our reccie in October - in some respects we were thankful that it was before he was crated as I would never have forgiven myself for putting him through the journey (he had a heart condition - unknown to us). My cat, however, is 19 and too old to travel so my family who will remain at the farm will be looking after her. Make sure your vet is aware of the blood tests and vaccinations for emigration as they must not have any trace of lepto in the blood for Australia

Guest nishman

3 years ago we shipped a dog and two cats over (Golden Arrow).

Cats (including one who was 17, and just had a second thyroidectomy) have taken it all in their stride with no problems. The older cat is still kicking around at the grand old age of 20:chatterbox:

Our dog was pretty highly strung before hand, and has had a few dicky turns since he came over (not straight away funnily enough). Mainly not settling on a night (the dark may have unsettled him). He would also start acting strange when we moved house (3 times since arriving). So we put it down to associating moving boxes with going in a small box in the dark hold of a plane.

After trying various things, he's now on Prozac :biglaugh:. Whether he would have been as bad without the move, I'm not sure - but he's still enjoying his new life here

Guest billm

Hi,

We are taking our two border terriers over from Scotland and are using PetAir UK. It is costing £2500 from Edinburgh but does not include the vet fees for the jabs prior to flying. They can do eveything start to finish including the vet side of things but as we are at the other end of the country, they are advising our vet of what needs to be done and when directly. Please remember that the quarrantine fees aren't included in the quote and will be another £800 - £1000 in my case. I'm planning to drive to Melbourne to pick them up when they're ready as it'll let us a bit of the country before other things get in the way. If you need any help, pm me as we are going through the process just now - the deposit has just been paid and I'm waiting to hear what the vet has planned.

Cheers

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
Guest harper210267

Thank you for that. I have recently emailed Airpets, so hopefiully they will contact soon.

We completed the VETASSESS about 3 weeks ago and hubby compleeted the ILETS about 2 weeks ago. We have to complete visa by 14th Sept, as my hubby is 45 on the 15th Sept.