Bedding

Guest countdown1975

Guest countdown1975

Ok now this is probabl;y a really silly question but as the time is getting closer lots of things are going on in my head! Do you still use the duvets over there or would it be too hot? My parents live in Cyprus and when we go to visit them they have sheets and maybe a blanket on the bed cos of the heat. Think the bed sizes have been covered before in other posts but can't remember where I saw them. What would a king size be called over there and a double? Are duvets/pillows and sheets expensive to buy over there because we will just be coming with our 2 suitacases so will have to go shopping when we get there by the looks of it for essentials (as our baggage limit is so crap we can't take much more than clothes with us).

Also.....spiders..... now I have read a few posts on here where people say this white tailed spiders crawl over them in bed. Are they really that common...should I be worrying (having dreams about them!!) is there anything you can do to prevent them?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the dumb questions

Vicki :-)

Guest Andrew&Ren

Bring bedding!!!!! You would not believe how expensive it is!! We bought two sets over and i wish i would have bought more. Duvet wise its up to you what you want they have all different tog sizes. they have the same sizes single,double,queen and king size.

Guest Django

Hi Vikki,

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. It does get warm here but only in Summer. I remember how cold it got at night when we first arrived in September and that was in spring so you will be well glad you brought your duvet come those winter nights.

As for stopping those White tailed spiders crawling over your face at night. No worries. Keep a couple of huntsman in your bedroom and you'll be good. ;)

Pete

Guest Trakki

I bought duvets with us in the container and have bought some here since. The ones you get here are fine. If you go to k-mart, big W you can get them for the same quality but cheaper than other shops. If you are just coming with suitcases I wouldn't waste any space, buy them once you are here. We still only have one thinish duvet on our bed and are warm enough, may be different next year when we have acclimatised a bit more!!

We see a fair amount of huntsman and wolf spiders in our house, had loads of red backs around the pool in our last house but none in the house here (no pool) but we do see a few white tips. Not that many, they mainly like the sheds/garages and me!! I am stalked by the bloody things. They like falling off the curtain onto me or on the stuff for the beach kept in the shed. Never had them crawl over me in bed but I do do a quick check of the room before I turn the light off.

Guest sandar1

Okay, go and buy the bags that you put stuff in and then you attach the vacuum cleaner and it shrinks duvets down to a little little package, and they aren't heavy anyway so will fit in your suitcases YOU WILL NEED THEM it is freezing here its 4 in the morning and sooo cold.

Bugs, when you get your place (and others will probably get mad at me for this I don't like pesticides either but can't stand spiders) go to Bunnings and buy a pack of house bug exterminaters they come in packs of three you set them off and leave the house, they work really well and are really cheap. I haven't had a spider or bug in the house since I did it. Best to do it before you get your bedding and dishes in of course, but they really do work. Believe it is Baygon that puts one brand out, but there are several on the market.

You will love it here, but the temperatures really are extreme.

Have a great time packing lol.

Sandra

Guest countdown1975

Back again - just emailed my sister and said about those vacuum bags - she said would they explode with the pressure in the place if I used them in the suitcase?????

Guest sandar1

I have used those bags probably about 20 times now and have never had any problem with them so highly unlikely that it will be happen it is quite common to use them.

sandra

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi I've been here for 2 weeks and I had to buy everything. I bought my duvets and some covers from Ikea and there is also an outlet place called Harbour Town where I bought more covers and pillows. I bought Feather pillows for $10 (about £5). If you have 23kg luggage allowance you definately won't have enough room for duvets (even vaccum packed). It's surprising what you do have at the end, and not enough baggage allowance! I don't find it cold here at all and I do feel it, but I probably haven't aclimatised yet! Will you be looking for furnished property when you get here? If you need any pointers then pm me. Good Luck

Guest GAFFBAM

I forgot to mention, I had to change my bedding 3 times as I kept getting the wrong size. Most beds here are King and Queen. In the UK Queen is bigger but in Oz King is bigger.

Guest kangomik

you won't have room to vacum pack........ but they wouldn't explode, how can they?

As posted Big W, K mart, Target would be your first port of call...... yes you use a sheet in summer, but for 6 months you use a duvet, for the other 4 months you use 2 duvets, pj's socks, and what ever else will keep you warm.

You think we are joking? LOL you won't

Temps down to 4 at night this weekend, that means 4 inside too!! BRRRRRR

You will find those shops in most if not all shopping centres, west lakes TTP elizabeth, marion ETC and places in between.

Guest sandar1

If you do decide to buy when you get here the wool filled duvets are much warmer I have found, and you don't have as many problems with allergies with them, the fillingis usually more evenly distributed also. If you have the time to go onto the internet this is a fantastic time of year to pick up a bargain, Harris Scarfe usually have some very good products and some fantastic prices, and in the past have matched prices, the quality of their products are usually very good. Spotlight also had a huge selection when I went in there the other day at good prices, I have to replace these for our B&Bs often so I am always searching for a good product at a good price.

Happy packing.

Sandra

Guest friends4life

Hi Guys,

Just been reading all of your interesting replies.

Does this mean houses in Adelaide arn't insulated and double glazed to be soo cold?

Look forward to hearing your responses.

Friends4Life

Guest LOOBYLOO
Hi Guys,

Just been reading all of your interesting replies.

Does this mean houses in Adelaide arn't insulated and double glazed to be soo cold?

Look forward to hearing your responses.

Friends4Life

Hi

We arrived end of November so weather was warm. Generally houses are not double glazed. I'm surprised at how cold it gets at night. We have a log burner in our family room which is great but doesn't heat the bedrooms so we have electric heaters to take the chill off. I do miss central heating! At least we have a good summer to look forward to!