Supermarket monopoly

sueoc

Guest Aussie pat

I do miss internet grocery shopping as it made life a lot easier as a working Mum. Now I have to waste a precious morning off hauling a trolley around the supermarket when I could be catching up on other things. I used to like knowing exactly how much was in my shopping basket so I could stick to my budget. Now I have to guess and don't know the bottom line figure until I get to the till. I hope I don't sound too spoilt but once you've used something that works for you and your family you do miss the convenience.

what about www.bananablue.com.au , are they in your vicinity ?

I do miss internet grocery shopping as it made life a lot easier as a working Mum. Now I have to waste a precious morning off hauling a trolley around the supermarket when I could be catching up on other things. I used to like knowing exactly how much was in my shopping basket so I could stick to my budget. Now I have to guess and don't know the bottom line figure until I get to the till. I hope I don't sound too spoilt but once you've used something that works for you and your family you do miss the convenience.

Guest Jo&Phil

Ah yes, I used to have a choice of 4 good supermarkets within 15 mins of me in the UK ........... and certainly missed that to start with.

Foodland at Pasadena is quite good and they run the www.bananablue.com.au delivery site ...........

If you can stand the city the Central Market is fabulous but I can quite understand that it isn't convenient if you don't work close to it.

Another good option is Willunga Market - every Saturday morning. The Farmers' Market in the Showgrounds is expensive in comparison to Willunga.

What does that mean Heaps Good?

i mean leave or those guys back in the UK, as Australia does not need them in my opinion.

we have a a good selection of supermarkets here, who all have different prices on different stuff, you need to shop around for your shopping here and not do it all in one place. ( old style shopping )

Omg what about home an bargin you can't beat that and heaps good at least we could get JAFFA CAKES in asda an tesco ;)

and that would mean getting the odd suprise from my mum back in the yUK not worth the wait, i go without JAFFA CAKES but if my mum wants to send em then let her ;)

There are things i miss from the yUK but thats family and friends, as for shops and foodstuffs nah, i go along with the Aus way of life and enjoy it over here.;)

Following a recent report on Sunrise about the big differances in what aussies pay ,as against Uk and US perhaps aussies might at last wake up to just how much they are being ripped off.

A few yrs ago Adelaide was significantly cheaper in shopping terms than all other states and a lot cheaper than uk.

A report a few months ago said that some fruit and vegetables had risen by 400-500 percent in recent yrs and yet the farmers were having their margins cut,how then do they justify massive increases,the drought cant be blamed for everything.

I heard only last week in on Sunrise that supermarkets have recently informed suppliers that they will be not paying them on a 30 or 60 day basis,but extending up to 120 day payment terms, in some cases,that is going to put a lot of smaller businesses out of business.You are not telling me that such big companies with massive profits need to do that.How is that supporting aussie jobs.

Gullibility of the consumer here allows this profiteering to proliferate.

Fair competition is the only way forward and for that to happen other supermarket chains need to e allowed to trade here on equal terms, not have business practice that is blatantly weighed in favour of home grown supermarkets.

About time the concept of fair trade came to australia,it is long overdue.

Sue

Guest LordLucan
Ah yes, I used to have a choice of 4 good supermarkets within 15 mins of me in the UK ........... and certainly missed that to start with.

Foodland at Pasadena is quite good and they run the www.bananablue.com.au delivery site ...........

If you can stand the city the Central Market is fabulous but I can quite understand that it isn't convenient if you don't work close to it.

Another good option is Willunga Market - every Saturday morning. The Farmers' Market in the Showgrounds is expensive in comparison to Willunga.

Foodland at Hallett Cove is brilliant too. On the rare occasions that I have to venture into Woolworths, I am horrified at the price of their meat compared to Foodland.

By the way, Aldi is alive and well in Queensland.

Just remember though that Aus has a significantly smaller population than the UK and US and SA is one of the smaller states in population numbers. Also Aus has very tough importation tariffs on incoming goods that can be made here. In the UK you have the vast areas of Europe to provide a vast array of goods at cheaper prices. The only way Aus can do that is to ship manufacturing overseas, thus losing Aus jobs. It is not always about profit, it is tied into what consumers will pay. Aus has never had butter mountains or similar wastage due to EU imposed economic rules. What is a growing sector is the quality gourmet sidelines that smaller producers are turning to instead, like cheeses, breads, preserves etc, often of better quality than the mass produced goods aimed for a high turnover.

Guest katsmajic

WOW sounds just like what Tesco/Sainsburys etc are doing to the yUK...

Following a recent report on Sunrise about the big differances in what aussies pay ,as against Uk and US perhaps aussies might at last wake up to just how much they are being ripped off.

A few yrs ago Adelaide was significantly cheaper in shopping terms than all other states and a lot cheaper than uk.

A report a few months ago said that some fruit and vegetables had risen by 400-500 percent in recent yrs and yet the farmers were having their margins cut,how then do they justify massive increases,the drought cant be blamed for everything.

I heard only last week in on Sunrise that supermarkets have recently informed suppliers that they will be not paying them on a 30 or 60 day basis,but extending up to 120 day payment terms, in some cases,that is going to put a lot of smaller businesses out of business.You are not telling me that such big companies with massive profits need to do that.How is that supporting aussie jobs.

Gullibility of the consumer here allows this profiteering to proliferate.

Fair competition is the only way forward and for that to happen other supermarket chains need to e allowed to trade here on equal terms, not have business practice that is blatantly weighed in favour of home grown supermarkets.

About time the concept of fair trade came to australia,it is long overdue.

Sue

Guest katsmajic

When i lived in Tunisia they didnt have supermarkets in the area i lived in - a massive tourist area, there was an Aldi about 40mins drive away which mainly stocked pork products.

I adapted to their systems/country etc, i shopped in grocers/dry stores and a butchers that had a bulls head hanging outside the door! Because that is their way as i was in their country respecting their ways!

I dont miss any of the big boys in the uk, life is way to short/precious to worry about those

kind of things...i guess its about priorities.

Everyone knows the best kind of shopping value is form farmers markets - uk/asia/america/australia! or you should know - as theres enough crap on tv telling you how awful supermarkets are and I.E. how their fruit is usually stored for up to 12months before it hits the shelves...

and the uk is worst for that crime!!! nice fresh meat - i dont think so!

Kat,i entirely agree with the points you raise.

Sadly though for a lot of people they dont have the time to make separate trips to various farmers market,time is a luxury that many people dont have.

So surely for the majority who have to use supermarkets competition would bring fairer pricing.

In addition whilst i am no great fan of some of the practices of uk supermarkets i know if i ever took something back out of date,they were genuinely horrified here they dont blink an eyelid,woeful.

There is a big difference in my view between accepting another countries practices and it being acceptable to rip people off.

Just because people embrace aussie life doesnt make profiteering acceptable.

Sue.

Guest katsmajic

hey:D, i know time is the most valuable thing we have - i work way too many hours to waste just one of them, but allowing more competition isnt the way forward as one of the competition would always own the monopoloy and all that does is drive prices either really high or really low - ok low might sound good but all round for the economy/suppliers/farmers/workers incomes = really low brings about recession - as those in the uk are now feeling so much more than us here...

i personally prefer foodland - sa owned and promoting so much local produce etc

and recalling life in the uk - tesco would have some things on offer so you'd do your shopping there but other 'essentials' would be marked up that week so the overall shopping doesnt work out less/better - all supermarkets are guilty of this.

i havnt had any problems with food here to be honest, im loving the fresher/tastier effect of everything still..if i was finding out of date foods then id be pretty peeved - only place ive ever had probs with dates on food was actually marks n spencers. :o

Kat,i entirely agree with the points you raise.

Sadly though for a lot of people they dont have the time to make separate trips to various farmers market,time is a luxury that many people dont have.

So surely for the majority who have to use supermarkets competition would bring fairer pricing.

In addition whilst i am no great fan of some of the practices of uk supermarkets i know if i ever took something back out of date,they were genuinely horrified here they dont blink an eyelid,woeful.

There is a big difference in my view between accepting another countries practices and it being acceptable to rip people off.

Just because people embrace aussie life doesnt make profiteering acceptable.

Sue.

Kat,your comments about competition are, based on recent views of aussie economic commentators here in oz wholly incorrect.It is without doubt in their view a fact that until the "strangehold that the two major supermarkets have on food retail here is broken by other competitors that prices will remain artificially inflated."

It is a well known economic fact that monopolies are an obstacle to free trade.

I dont think Uk supermarkets are angels by any means but at least competition between them has meant a better deal for Joe Bloggs.

Here there is an inferance that it is incumbent upon Joe Bloggs to buy local and support the economy, whilst the retailers are cutting the little man supplier to the bone. Who then is being duped?

I am shocked at the acquiescence of people here to just accept thats the way things are,just because thats the way things, are doesnt make it right.

Change and improving things isnt always a death knell to tradition you know it can sometimes be beneficial.

A recent example of double standards is the current bashing of Specsavers and all that ranting on about uk based franchise,so what, do people in Britain ,have overt campaigns about dont buy Fosters,or Wolf Blass,because they are aussie owned know they dont.

THere was a specsavers owner on the radio this week saying i am aussie,i pay aussie taxes and i employ aussie people,so that is ok is it.Hows that helping local business.

The bottom line is it doesnt!

Sue

Personally i like the shops here....! We do all our shopping in Hallett Cove or Castle Plaza Foodland and have no complaints over cost or quality...!! I think Coles is well overpriced, and Woolworths are in the middle somewhere!

I agree with supporting the local business's...great idea...something the UK should of promoted long ago!

Even if some more supermarkets open up...they're will always be one with the monopoly that people will still complain about...!

In the end everyone shops for the best deal for whats available....

Dan

Coles is doing ONLINE shopping:

colesonline.com.au

They said they coming soon to Adelaide, keep an eye for it. I have seen that they started recruiting staff.

Kat,your comments about competition are, based on recent views of aussie economic commentators here in oz wholly incorrect.It is without doubt in their view a fact that until the "strangehold that the two major supermarkets have on food retail here is broken by other competitors that prices will remain artificially inflated."

It is a well known economic fact that monopolies are an obstacle to free trade.

I dont think Uk supermarkets are angels by any means but at least competition between them has meant a better deal for Joe Bloggs.

Here there is an inferance that it is incumbent upon Joe Bloggs to buy local and support the economy, whilst the retailers are cutting the little man supplier to the bone. Who then is being duped?

I am shocked at the acquiescence of people here to just accept thats the way things are,just because thats the way things, are doesnt make it right.

Change and improving things isnt always a death knell to tradition you know it can sometimes be beneficial.

A recent example of double standards is the current bashing of Specsavers and all that ranting on about uk based franchise,so what, do people in Britain ,have overt campaigns about dont buy Fosters,or Wolf Blass,because they are aussie owned know they dont.

THere was a specsavers owner on the radio this week saying i am aussie,i pay aussie taxes and i employ aussie people,so that is ok is it.Hows that helping local business.

The bottom line is it doesnt!

Sue

I dont think Uk supermarkets are angels by any means but at least competition between them has meant a better deal for Joe Bloggs - And a very raw deal for the producers and farmers, who make next to nothing on their produce.

Change and improving things isnt always a death knell to tradition you know it can sometimes be beneficial - Still waiting to see that happen in the yUK.