Cost of removals

Guest The Francis clan

Guest The Francis clan

I have been reading some of the other threads regarding this topic and am still confused!

We're planning to sell everything and just take a few boxes of books,records,pics,toys etc-does anyone have any idea how much this is likely to cost-as we're still in the early stages of our planned move I haven't been in touch with any removals firms yet.The sight of some of the quotes has made my toes curl,but I don't know how much gear people are planning to take with them.

Any advice gratefully received so I can start saving for these costs now!

Hannah :confused:

Guest happy-jools

This is a difficult one, and a question Ive asked many times.

We still dont know what to do, and people say bring everything. Im not sure Ive got that much stuff I want to bring.

So I guess I will get some quotes once we get the Visa, and see.

:o

Guest The Francis clan

Glad to see we're not the only ones unsure what to do! Having moved twice last year we've got loads of stuff in boxes that I could quite happily dump too!Good luck with DIMA-let us know how you get on!

Hannah

This is a difficult one, and a question Ive asked many times.

We still dont know what to do, and people say bring everything. Im not sure Ive got that much stuff I want to bring.

So I guess I will get some quotes once we get the Visa, and see.

:o

Same here, do we take all ours? do we want to? We at moment are thinking along the lines of just some boxes of stuff that cant be left! But tomorrow who knows. I think we will make a decision when the visa comes!

Guest dglamoore

We bought loads with us (full 20ft container) and still had to go out and buy tons of stuff. Don't forget houses are bigger here so if you have anything that is half way decent may be worth bringing it with you ;)

We bought lounge suite, dining room table and 2 x bedroom furniture amoungst other bits and bobs and still had to buy another suite, tables, outdoor tables and chairs etc so depends what your budget is this end and if the cost of replacing items you could bring would be cheaper than the cost of the container.

I know the bits we bought over could not be replaced this end for £3600:eek: Everyone is different so only you know what will work best for you ;)

Lisa:cool:

Guest stufi1997
:D Hi Paul and Hannah, funnily enough we're having the same dilema!:eek: My first instinct is that nothing in our house is new enough to be worthy of shipping so we said stuff it sell the lot or more likely skip it. but then when you start on simple things like Aarons toys, well there's hundreds of squids worth. and then documents, photo's, dvd players, cd's dvd's,my guitars,...the more you look the more you see..? so i think we'll have to share a container or something? i do believe it's possible the only akward thing is everyone must be present to access it which isn't that big a deal if its not furniture and essentials! just a thought.:o:D

Guest Django

I'm with Stu,

I thought we just go with a suitcase each. But then there are a few items that I deffo will want to take. Mainly my irreplacable record collection. Then I decided after a gallah trip to keep my golf clubs. My guitar stuff, tools, kids toys, dvds, plus a few other 'treasures'. Pricing these all up and sending would be quite expensive (as would replacing them). So for a few hundred pounds more we could get a container and take the whole bloody lot along with stuff we were going to dump like furniture.

Its purely a case of economy. If it costs more to send than replace then sell it all this end and buy new there. If its cheaper to replace than send then flog before you go.

Then again if we sell everything we could buy new. My records would bring in quite a lot of cash. Ohhhhhh I'm in two minds again.:confused: I could buy a nice new guitar out there and I guess I can play badly with any set of golf clubs.:confused:

decissions, decissions:o

Perplexed Pete

Guest stufi1997

NO way dude. i was looking on aussie ebay for replacing my bass and all that stuff is double the price there. importing in aus is probably expensive compared to the quality of stuff made here or germany?and as for the record collection..???? don't know bro. thats a tuffy/?:confused:

Guest mOZzy

i am with everyone else ... take it? leave it? take it?

atm ,i am with 'take it all'!

mainly because we have 2 little ones and i just can't see myself dragging them along from one store to the next ... especially with all that haggling i am supposed to do :confused:

so we'll probably take the lot - well, the things they still look allright :o

and as lisa said i'll have to buy some new things anyways!

and don't forget: especially all these little things will add up and add up (pots, pans, dishes, sheets, towels, small appliances ...)

and i also read that they hardly have any frontloading washing machines .. and i deffo bring my dryer :D

you could have a look at lisa's site in the shopping sector and have a snoop around and check prices. unfortunately the ozzies are not big on online shopping :eek:

We are planning on just taking suitcases to start with..!

We have a few DVD/CD's that will boxed by family members and sent to us at a later date. Other stuff like photos and documents are all on an external hard drive to use with a laptop we are bringin with us.

Has anyone seen those LCD photoframes that store all your photos and change pic all the time so u never have to have hundreds of frames! That is a good idea for us to start with!

Dan and Steph

Guest soggy

This may be of use to some people,

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/

for a" tea chest" box 61cm x 51cm x 41cm on a 9 week door to door service up to 40 kg,

£89 first box then £45 each box

air service 2 weeks door to door, up to 30 kg, £255 first box then £150

air service door to depot, £256 then £108

this sounds ok for those who just want to bring some personnel belongings with them, they can also transport your guitar and golf clubs, if you like that sort of thing.

Simon

This may be of use to some people,

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/

for a" tea chest" box 61cm x 51cm x 41cm on a 9 week door to door service up to 40 kg,

£89 first box then £45 each box

air service 2 weeks door to door, up to 30 kg, £255 first box then £150

air service door to depot, £256 then £108

this sounds ok for those who just want to bring some personnel belongings with them, they can also transport your guitar and golf clubs, if you like that sort of thing.

Simon

Simon,

Cheers for that, i think we are only taking the important stuff(golf clubs etc!) Just got to get Rachel to leave all the stuff she dont use and we could get there for a couple of hundred!:D

Guest The Francis clan

Sooo glad we're not the only ones debating what to take-there's no way my hubby's going to leave his LPs or books behind-although some I could quite cheerfully burn!He's also quite forward to haggling,must be the Del boy in him.Thanks for that web link-nice to see reasonable quotes for crates!

We left a load of gear behind when moved from London to Jersey and still have stuff i boxes 5 1/2 years later-I think most people would be pleasantly suprised at what you don't miss-it'll probably cost us more to ship it from Jersey to UK than from UK to Adelaide!

Hannah:p:p

Guest CARMEN

Hi Hannah And Paul!

I Don't Know How Much It Going To Cost - I Can't Think About That - I'm Just Going To Be Ruthles About What I Really Want To Take And See How Much I'm Left With.

I've Got 3 Kids And A Golf Crazy Husband So If Theres Any Room For My Stuff It'll Be A Miracle !:rolleyes:

Hi Hannah And Paul!

I Don't Know How Much It Going To Cost - I Can't Think About That - I'm Just Going To Be Ruthles About What I Really Want To Take And See How Much I'm Left With.

I've Got 3 Kids And A Golf Crazy Husband So If Theres Any Room For My Stuff It'll Be A Miracle !:rolleyes:

Well the clubs could fit in one case, golf shoes in another with golf clothes and the rest in the hand luggage!

Good to see another Gallah on the way!

Guest The Francis clan

Hi Lynne and Peter-

It's a nightmare getting Paul to get rid of anything-or at least decide what he definately wants to keep-threatening to take it all to the charity shop usually get's some sort of action!-that seven seas world wide looks ok-especially as I can get them to take it from Jersey direct-it's amazing how much grief a small stretch of water can cause!

I think I'll just start packing now,might be ready by the time we plan to go!

Hannah

Guest dglamoore

One tip - Before coming over we bought an ipod to store our 450 cd's onto :eek:. We also done a back of of all the music onto an external hard drive and sold the cd's on ebay

We got the money back we paid for the ipod and some towards the docking station. Took the ipod with us so had music straight away and looks neat and tidy on the side too :rolleyes: Great for parties too as you just select a playlist and away you go - no cd's to change for hours :D

Lisa:cool:

Hi

We have just had our 20 tea sized chest boxes sent to adelaide. We are just waiting for our final invoice... We were quoted £530 for 13 boxes by sea..that was door to door.

We're thinking it'll be about £800...but will let you know.

Our furniture was quite old and I want new stuff when we get there - so we've only taken, books, cds, photos, pictures, ornaments, computer,clothes etc...........

Looking forward to starting afresh with the rest

Hope this helps

sarahx

Guest ralph n bev

Theres me hoping a 20 foot container would be big enough!!

We are only taking 2 of our beds , but there's the dining table and chairs, a 3 piece suite and a 2 piece suite , coffee tables , lamps , picture frames. Then all the kitchen paraphenalia , not to mention all the kids stuff all of our clothes etc. etc.

We moved to this house 18 months ago planning on staying till we retire, so we got rid of all the junk we used to have , then.

We bought a lot of new stuff to go in this house , so it will just have to go in the new house over there !!

I 'm brutal when it comes to hoarding and get rid of toys that arn't played with and clothes that arn't worn ,Kitchen stuff that isnt used , and the house isn't filled with clutter.

But i think most people would be suprised at all the stuff they had if it was all put in a pile infront off you.

I'm also buying a new Dyson to put in the container as they are so expensive to buy out there,and mines old and out of guarantee , and we bought a new 12 foot trampoline with enclosure for£ 99 thats going in too.

Bev:)

Guest ralph n bev

This got us talking last night about the containers, i said on the previous thread that i hoped a 20 footer would be big enough ,thinking it probably would be , id forgotten about the 5 bikes, all the camping stuff and most of all the new aluminium trailer we bought to put all the camping stuff in!!:confused:

So does anyone know if there would be problems with the trailer?

As i said its new and is up to all the aussie regs as Ralph checked that before buying it . We have used it and realise it has to be dirt free, god thats another thing ive remembered , the jet washer too !!

Bev:)

• 2 years later...
Guest smiles36

i have just shipped all our stuff i thought sod it i wouldnt replace it with new stuff as cheap as it would cost to ship it, it cost me £3450 +430 extra insurance for a 20ft container through pss int. rem. the gyes came to a storage depot and rapped it and packed it they were excelent "so far"

shipped it friday should hit adelaide mid december then takes 2/3 weeks to clear customs we arive in on 30th dec

yipppppeeeeeeeeeeee

Guest smiles36

i have just shipped all our stuff i thought sod it i wouldnt replace it with new stuff as cheap as it would cost to ship it, it cost me £3450 +430 extra insurance for a 20ft container through pss int. rem. the gyes came to a storage depot and rapped it and packed it they were excelent "so far"

shipped it friday should hit adelaide mid december then takes 2/3 weeks to clear customs we arive in on 30th dec

yipppppeeeeeeeeeeee

Guest thekings

We considered selling everything and starting afresh until we read the advice on here. A lot of stuff is not necessarily cheaper for a starter and you will be selling your stuff second hand and replacing with new!!! Our daughter has some 200 dvd's I know they are the uk region but how much could we realistically sell them for here??? and more importantly how much would it cost to replace them in Aus??? We read some advice on here and it was to bring everything we possibly could no matter how crap it was because we would be grateful of having familiar items around us in an unfamiliar country!!

We are loading up a 20 foot container and taking a motor cycle at a cost of about £4200. I was going to sell the bike and treat myself to a new one, but my bike is worth about £2200 to get the same bike in Aus is about £3500!! at least I know my bike has been well looked after.

The other thing to consider is that you will need time to go out and replace all your stuff, it'll be a heck of a shopping spree but realistically how long will it take you?? You could be lazing on the beach instead of trawling the shops for stuff you could have bought over.

First thing on my shopping list when I get there is about 50 plugs for all my electrical gear:goofy::biglaugh: