Calling UK 0845 numbers?

jo_marnes

Hi all,

I need to make a call to an 0845 number back in the UK. I have VOIP so my international calls are cheaper than many. I have an online call calculator to work out how much the call is, but I'm not sure whether I still have to dial the '0'? Is is +44 845 or +44 0845? I type these into the calculator thing and it gives me different rates! :goofy:

I know you can get phone cards etc, but they all seem to have more expensive rates to 'special services' etc - and they aren't clear on which numbers fall under a 'special service' rate.

Any help appreciated,

Jo xx

Guest DianeJ
Hi all,

I need to make a call to an 0845 number back in the UK. I have VOIP so my international calls are cheaper than many. I have an online call calculator to work out how much the call is, but I'm not sure whether I still have to dial the '0'? Is is +44 845 or +44 0845? I type these into the calculator thing and it gives me different rates! :goofy:

I know you can get phone cards etc, but they all seem to have more expensive rates to 'special services' etc - and they aren't clear on which numbers fall under a 'special service' rate.

Any help appreciated,

Hi Jo,

In Google put in , say no to 0870, and it will give you the local equivalent for that number. You just have to type the 0845 number in to the site and it comes up with cheaper alternatives.

Diane

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Jo

I have dialled the Halifax in the UK on an 0845 number. You dial 001144 845 then the number. It cost me $13 to talk to them for 11 minutes, so beware of the call time.

regards

Mandy

Guest Brummie

Hi Jo Marnes,

The cheapest way to ring the uk is to go and buy one of the phone card from the newsagent or phone shop. They cost from $10 up. If you buy a $10 to start with to see how they work and go from there. You don't have to use it in one go, from the time you use it first that is when it's activated, I think they last for 3 months from that time. I have talked for hours to my cousin in England, on one of these cards. You dial a local number which is on the docket (like a shopping docket, so don't lose it, if you buy one) then follow the promps. To get out of Aust you dial 001144...then the number in England. Some cards automatically cut you off after you have been on there for 2 hours, but that doesn't stop you from dialing up again, for another 2 hours. Also if you want to keep the same code number you can top up your credit over the phone. There are heaps of cards to choose from so ask the agent which they recommend the cheapest is for England. Great way to keep in touch with family in England.

Guest sandar1

I call the US and Britain with work on a daily basis. I use a Go Talk card, they contacted me recently and offered me a deal where I paid a fixed rate, (I believe it was about $45 and for that I received $22 of free calls, and from now on I will have a reduced rate to the US for all calls and there will no longer be any connection fee (this is handy in case you call and just get an answering machine). I have been using my Go Talk account now for over four years, and have tried others it seems to last longer even though others profess to be cheaper. The fixed rate of $45 was a one off so now I just top up my account as needed. As your credit runs down they will advise you and give you a chance to top it up by credit card. I have found it very helpful, the lines are very clear, and my $50 which I normally top up with lasts me forever, and beleive me I am on the phone to overseas a heck of a lot.

Hope it helps.

Sandra

Just a note if you use one of the call cards recommended above, you will need to get a proper STD number to dial as if you use the 0845/0870 numbers with one of those cards it will cost you a fortune! Use the Say No to 0870 site (also recommended above) to get an STD equivalent number and it will just cost you normal rates (usually about 0.5c per minute to call the UK). Post Offices sell the call cards by the way.