UK Chocolate - where?

jo_marnes

Hi all,

Right, I am fed up with trying to convince the Aussies that the Cadbury's here is inferior to UK Cadburys so I want to get some. Does anyone know where to get BIG bars - not the Lolly Shop or anything, but proper BIG bars? Probably need to get them shipped over, but was wondering if anyone knew anywhere online thats a good price?

Ta,

Jo xxx

Guest Tina P

Hi,

Cadburys is a waste of money here.

We have discovered 'Coles' own brand Belgium chocolate, so nice.

My kids love the mint one.

Give it a try, its on special at the min, big bars for $2 .

Let me know what you think.

Tina

Guest The Pickles

There's a shop on Jetty Road, Glenelg that sells all sorts of UK (Walkers) crisps, chocolate, cakes etc at really stupid prices but it's there if you're desperate! x

Hi all,

Right, I am fed up with trying to convince the Aussies that the Cadbury's here is inferior to UK Cadburys so I want to get some. Does anyone know where to get BIG bars - not the Lolly Shop or anything, but proper BIG bars? Probably need to get them shipped over, but was wondering if anyone knew anywhere online thats a good price?

Ta,

Jo xxx

Guest stufi1997

:jiggy:Get someone to pop into tesco buy some and send it over in a jiffy bag...that's by far the cheapest and quickest way...I got my daughter to do that last week and it all appeared in less than a week...cost more in postage than the sweeties mind you...but still much cheaper than going to a lolly shop:o

I love coles belgian chocolate too...........mmmmmmm:)

Hi all,

Ta,

Jo xxx

Hi

Theres been a bit of a 'chocolate war' going on over here( NZ) between Whittakers and Cadbury's. Personally I think Whittakers is far superior to Cadbury's but we can only get the Aussie made version, not the UK version here. Toblerone and Ferero Rocher taste the same though!

Cheers

Mariane

Guest lastboyscout

I don`t know whether its my taste buds that have altered but the chocolate they sell in the `English ` shops doesn`t taste like it used to in the UK. We have regular parcels sent over from the UK with chocolate and crisps in for the kids (yeah right!!!) and the UK Cadburys from here doesn`t taste the same as the stuff sent over :unsure:

The latest parcel had pickled onion Monster Munch sent over and they have been put out of the reach of the kids;):biglaugh:

the longer you are here , the more your taste buds get used to it. Yes cadburys UK has a different taste from oz.The beer is different, the bacon is different, the steak is different............the pubs are different...............................the weather is different....................EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT!:).

Anyway, enjoy your Uk choccy, last time I had some ,the moment didnt match the excitement!:)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

When I first came choc didnt taste the same but unfortunatly it wasnt "bad" enough for me ( which I had hoped it would be) Mum bought some over with her the first year we all sat down and did a taste test, by which time I prefered the Oz cadburys.

After a while you remember things in england probably much nicer than they even were in reality, bit like the rosy glasses grass is greener syndrome only for you taste buds.

Mum bought me over the t bags I used to have in the UK this year and again I was so looking forward to a sainsburys cuppa...nothing like I rememberd, prefer my coles own brand now.

SAUSAGES...Still have not had a decent one here ( not that bovvered), but I am going to the uk this week mum is getting me in Asdas own pork and leek, now those I loved...............I'll let you know when I get back!

Guest Libby1971

I am sorry SSP, but there is no decent Aussie equivalent for a Bourbon biscuit or Weetabix. I have adjusted to Aussie bread which I did find difficult to accept in the start, and Aussie ham, and Aussie suet and Aussie gravy, but Aussie sausages are still pants no matter where I shop or what I buy. I crave a pork pie like you would not believe and the scotch eggs.

However am I adjusting, yes I am. I have found alternatives and my life is not over without these things. And I am sending my sister over a list which includes Bourbon biscuits, just one packet coz no shop ships them over.

And we shan't mention Thorntons Chocolates which are just the purest confectionary known to man...*sigh* Haighs is good, but not Thorntons good.

Guest lastboyscout

The little deli in St.Agnes shopping centre does traditional pork pies Libby ;)

Nice with Colmans English Mustard plastered all over it ;)

Guest sarahsmartiepants
I am sorry SSP, but there is no decent Aussie equivalent for a Bourbon biscuit or Weetabix. I have adjusted to Aussie bread which I did find difficult to accept in the start, and Aussie ham, and Aussie suet and Aussie gravy, but Aussie sausages are still pants no matter where I shop or what I buy. I crave a pork pie like you would not believe and the scotch eggs.

However am I adjusting, yes I am. I have found alternatives and my life is not over without these things. And I am sending my sister over a list which includes Bourbon biscuits, just one packet coz no shop ships them over.

And we shan't mention Thorntons Chocolates which are just the purest confectionary known to man...*sigh* Haighs is good, but not Thorntons good.

Ahh Libby! Bickies are pants here!

woolies home brand weetabix are the closest I have found, greens gravy is as good as I used to have, (didnt like bisto).

New woolies in Hallett cove stock "british pork pies" yuck!!!

I am sorry SSP, but there is no decent Aussie equivalent for a Bourbon biscuit or Weetabix.

Did you know that you can by the real weetabix in Coles, down at Southgate Plaza? They have a small section with a few bits & bobs from the UK.....

Quite expensive at around $7 for a box of 24.....but if you get really desperate......

I don`t know whether its my taste buds that have altered but the chocolate they sell in the `English ` shops doesn`t taste like it used to in the UK. We have regular parcels sent over from the UK with chocolate and crisps in for the kids (yeah right!!!) and the UK Cadburys from here doesn`t taste the same as the stuff sent over :unsure:

Probably because it's out of date :biglaugh:

Guest woolmerdj

yes, I agree, coles Belgium is the best and is on offer at the moment for $2 a bar, aslo is great as chocolate fondue, so pile them high, as well as the pounds in weight!!! LOL

Jane

Guest SA Great

Here we go whinge whinge whinge the chocolate isn't the same, the crisps are different etc etc. As I have said a million times on this website, isn't the point of emigrating to have different things. It's not supposed to be the same. Hey, we are not called whinging poms for nothing, there is certainly an element of truth about it. Sorry for sounding a bit harsh!!

I am not over enamoured with the supermarkets here,they dont seem to embrace the principles of real bargains and BOGOF,and seem to squeeze that little bit extra every week out of us.However it was a pleasant surprise recently to see someone who sets the prices at Coles make an uncharacteristic cock up,and allow us to stock up on their nice Belgian Chocolate.No doubt he or she will soon be looking for another job!

Here we go whinge whinge whinge the chocolate isn't the same, the crisps are different etc etc. As I have said a million times on this website, isn't the point of emigrating to have different things. It's not supposed to be the same. Hey, we are not called whinging poms for nothing, there is certainly an element of truth about it. Sorry for sounding a bit harsh!!

What crap! I want to get UK chocolate to show the Aussies that it is different and, in my opinion, nicer. What I want to know is why there always has to be someone who can't put a nice answer......:sad:

Guest Libby1971

And here you go again, bashing anyone who does not belong to the same 'love everything Aussie' club as yourself.

I moved to Australia for a reason. But that doesn't mean that I can't remember what it is to be British or what reminds me of my family back there. As we were usually skint, having a packet of Bourbon biscuits reminds me of sister, and having chats over a cup of tea. And also because I was usually skint despite working every hour God sent, having a 200g bag of Thorntons truffles once a month was a treat.

And yes, emigrating is about new things. But does that mean I cannot like ANYTHING at all from before? Do I have to change everything I like simply because to belong to the same club as you that is what I need to do to fit in? Thank God the Aussies aren't as judgemental as you...

Guest Rob and Clare
What crap! I want to get UK chocolate to show the Aussies that it is different and, in my opinion, nicer. What I want to know is why there always has to be someone who can't put a nice answer......:sad:

What do you expect ? Poms for years have been brainwashed into believing anything british is the devil and you must not have, and you must cast away all british thoughts for they are impure, and from this moment on you must only have and want all things from every single other country, for the PC brigade won the war, and we must forever be sorry we were even born in the UK.

End of Sermon..

Jo, it's fine to have and enjoy some british choccy when you want, it's not part of the visa application or citizenship ceremony, and when we went back to the Uk a couple of years ago I had to bring back british choccies for the office as they prefered them too...