Are the central markets really that good?

Guest nurse sue

Guest nurse sue

hi all,

Im still in the uk, and was reading last months aus & nz mag article about aus markets - it gave adelaides central markets a really good write up, but just wondered how many of you shopped there? is it all its cracked up to be, or is it just a tourist thing with tourist prices?

Is there really a huge range of foodstuff available? is it expensive compared to supermarkets?

Or does anyone have any recommendations for alternative fresh, local and reasonable price fruit and veg?

when we were in adelaide in 2007, we didnt get to look round the markets - on a 2 week holiday you dont really want to spend time doing something you do at home ... :biglaugh:

Cheers,

Sue x

Guest pushbutton

Central market is one of those places that is considered trendy, but nobody who looks at it objectively can really work out why.

It's a grotty, dirty, dingy old place that stinks of rotten vegetables. A lot like most other indoor markets in the world.

It also only has very limited opening hours, plus parking is not very easy and you have to pay for parking.

I'd much rather pay a bit more and buy from a supermarket or specialty fruit and veg shop. At least they're clean, modern and fresh!

However my guess is that the reasons why some people do shop there are

- it's convenient if you work in Adelaide CBD (which the vast majority of people in Adelaide do not, but there's a lot who do)

- There's a much bigger range of fresh produce than you'd find in a supermarket or specialty shop, so it's particularly good if you're looking for unusual fruit or vegetables.

- It is no doubt a lot cheaper than supermarkets or specialty shops (although when you take parking into account it may not be)

- The produce is a lot fresher, which admittedly is a very good thing. Not enough to make me want to go there though.

I suppose you either like markets or you don't. If you do like markets, maybe it's worth a look.

Guest marty

Been here 30 years, only been to the markets twice, dirty filthy place full of people carrying bags of poor quality fruit and veg thinking they have a bargin, the place smells and I would steer clear of it except for your one and only look for conformation

Can't believe the post above by Pushbutton! I love the Central Market. Don't find it smelly at all as the stallholders are really good about clearing up any waste and rubbish - best of all, there is no smell of fried food like you get at so many indoor markets in the UK and elsewhere. You can work your way round the place, tasting and trying, and there are great little places to eat and drink dotted around the outside. Not only are the fruit and vegetables way cheaper than in the supermarkets, but there are also great stalls selling cheeses, meats, breads, flowers, nuts - all a lot cheaper than you get in the shops....I have stopped buying cheese in supermarkets as it's so much cheaper in the market - $8.99 for a camembert in Coles, $4 maximum in the market for instance. There are speciality stalls selling asian, organic, coffee, french cheeses, Barossa produce, cakes, yoghurt and chocolates.... It's one of my favourite places to shop, and also has one of the cheapest multistorey car parks, with loads of space - I've never, ever had trouble parking there and it costs something like $2.50 for two hours - which in the centre of a city is extremely reasonable! If you go on a Friday night, there's a great atmosphere with live music and buskers, and there are loads of good eateries and drinking spots along Gouger Street which runs alongside. I don't get to go there as often as I'd like (too lazy really - although it's only 20 minutes drive away from us) - but whenever I do go, I ask myself why I don't go much more!

Pushbutton must not have found the same market I have! In my opinion, it's one of the best things in Adelaide!

As for you Marty - two times in 30 years - I think you need to try it again as it's obviously changed since you were last there! The only thing I've ever noticed smelling there is the wonderful flower stall...

Guest guest569

Very over rated in my opinion !! Plenty of fresh produce available at all the regular supermarkets without the touristy feel and the long journey home from the city.

Guest caoimhe
car parks, with loads of space - I've never, ever had trouble parking there and it costs something like $2.50 for two hours -

Is the parking not free if you have bought things in the market? The once I was there one of the stall holders told us it was but we hadn't parked there

Guest the4hopes

Great to get the lebanese bread fresh and warm for $1.60 instead of $4 something from Coles.

Also great atmosphere, but its best to go for just a wander and to buy a few things as its too busy if you need to do loads.

Brickworks market is good value, also the sunday farmers market at the show ground, and there are also loads of fruit and veg shops, and there are 2 fruit and veg stalls on Marion road at weekends.

When we were on our recce we went and I thought it was okay but not worth all the attention it gets in brochures etc (one market being pretty much like any other market to me). Since we've lived here, though, it's grown on me a bit and while we don't shop there too often, I do like a wander around it now and then.

Jim

Guest Kazzarazza
Very over rated in my opinion !! Plenty of fresh produce available at all the regular supermarkets without the touristy feel and the long journey home from the city.

I have to disagree - you don't know which part of China, or how many months have been spent in the freezer, with most of the stuff in the supermarkets. At least you know the stuff in the market is locally grown and freshly picked.

If I can't get to the market I would only get fruit and veg from the local greengrocer - never from the supermarkets. Same with meat and seafood - there are some great wholesale seafood and butchers stores around selling fantastic local produce at less than half the price of supermarkets.

Guest jorose

I like it. Not smelly or dirty. Cheap. However if you have to drive a long way in or pay parking fees then I can appreciate going closer to home. PS This is my 100th post wooo hooo

Guest Kazzarazza
Been here 30 years, only been to the markets twice, dirty filthy place full of people carrying bags of poor quality fruit and veg thinking they have a bargin, the place smells and I would steer clear of it except for your one and only look for conformation

Marty, you do need to go early on a Saturday. Nothing better than going out shortly after sunrise, having a cooked breakfast out followed by shopping at the market. Any time after 11.00am and you are likely to see more bargain hunters - BUT, there are some bargains to be had late on, if that's what you're after.

Guest ReadyPenny

I don't mind the market at all. I don't think it is particularly touristy either. Some stalls sell more superior produce than others, you just have to look! There is a greater selection of cheeses and things like that than in the supermarket, that's for sure.

I like going on Friday night, it's open until 9pm, we grab something to eat from one of the nearby cafe/restaurants and have a wander around. It is busy though, so as said, if you are looking to do a full weekly shop, maybe not the best place in the world. I do sometimes feel slightly harrassed, particularly when the buskers are singing and playing guitars!!!!!

Parking can be a bit tricky but we have found a cheap spot just off the main road. Contract car park 9-5.30 but pay and display after that, so not too far to walk with the heavy bags.

My favourite stall is Charlesworth nuts - I love it. There is a stall in Marion shopping centre though too.

Mandy

Guest UzinOz

The market on a Friday night is good, as said before it is busy but really good atmosphere, and not smelly apart from different spices etc

Loads of nice restaurants and cafes nearby.

I go there sometimes for the souvenir shops cuddly koalas etc to send home as it's much cheaper.

Jackie

It's not touristy. I go past it twice everyday in the bus and trust me there are no tourists! Is just locals and there are a lot of Asian restaurants around it and Chinatown, which is quite nice even though is small you find quite a few good places.

It is featured in some tourist brochures but then again Adelaide doesn't feel touristy! I haven't found any area that is touristy. There are nice pretty areas - postcard pretty.

There are some nice restaurants and cafes around. The prices aren't that different from the supermarket but they have a bigger range at the Central Market.

Well we love it, great FRESH food, not like the months old defrosted crap in supermarkets. Great atmosphere, plenty of places to eat and chill out. Great selection of products. Not smelly at all. And i think one of the best things in the personal interaction with the stall holders. Had many conversations with them about ideas for cooking certain things, and changing things up a bit. One of the butchers there sells South Australian beef, and cuts the steaks for you as you wait. $15 a kilo for fresh rump, cut to the thickness that you want!! Try getting that in your woolies or coles pre-packed crap!!

We've been there once or twice. I don't think much to it to be honest. It is not a tourist destination. The only reason we went there was to the Butchers that sells all the Aussie meat produce for Australia Day celebrations such as Camel, Emu, Kangaroo, Crocodile etc.

Although the Chinese restaurants in China Town near to the Central Market does that Crispy Aromatic Duck with Pancakes mmmmmm.

And the last time we visited the Brickworks market (last year) in Torrensville we vowed never to return. It just sells a load of cheap and tacky goods where everything is covered in dust and you just want to wash your hands when you get out of there. **Shudder**

Guest Guest75

I don't mind the Central Market at all.

It is busy,dirty,disorganised and everything that everyone has said in this thread so far.......... BUT

That's part of it's charm for me,very hard to explain why.

One man's "Too busy" is another man's "Vibrant" if you get my drift.

Friday tea time is the best for me - have a wander around the stalls- quite often getting free sample tasters,then into Chinatown for some fresh and cheap nosh.

Parking can be a bit tricky but we have found a cheap spot just off the main road. Contract car park 9-5.30 but pay and display after that, so not too far to walk with the heavy bags.

Mandy

You mean you haven't got one of those lovely tartan wheely trolleys yet Mandy!??!! We got one of the wire basket ones (that you put your green bags in) as I flatly refused anything in tartan! The multi storey over the market is huge though, and if you go through to the section that's kind of over the top of Chinatown, there are always loads of spaces - I don't think a lot of people know that it goes so far, going from the number that will sit and wait ages for a space in the main part (or stalk a shopper back to their car to 'bagsy' their space)!

Feast is my favourite meat stall (love their wonderful burgers for about $1 each) Standom favourite for cheeses (loe the Watsonia Cheddar!), and the kids adore the stall with the chocolate fountain and truffles. If you're into coffee, there are a couple of great stalls at the Gouger Street end that sell it freshly ground, as well as a wonderfl tea shop up there. And the shop in one of the little arcades (the Grain Store I think it's called) is great for all sorts of wierd and wonderful stuff, as is the Honey Shoppe on the other side!

D

Guest marty

Well I went there this morning, three times now, once evey ten years not bad eh nothing has changed still dirty still smelly but who am I to say not to go there it was very busy and hard to walk without bumping into other peeps so, the stalls looked like they had something to sell and not empty like my last two visits, the smell of coffee was also very pleasing, on a scale of 1-10 yesterday I would have marked 3, today, however, I think it deseves an 8 but it still wont make me like the place and I rekon I won't go back for another 10 years, did not buy anything, took the work ute so I parked in a loading bay so no cost except petrol

Guest nurse sue
Well I went there this morning, three times now, once evey ten years not bad eh nothing has changed still dirty still smelly but who am I to say not to go there it was very busy and hard to walk without bumping into other peeps so, the stalls looked like they had something to sell and not empty like my last two visits, the smell of coffee was also very pleasing, on a scale of 1-10 yesterday I would have marked 3, today, however, I think it deseves an 8 but it still wont make me like the place and I rekon I won't go back for another 10 years, did not buy anything, took the work ute so I parked in a loading bay so no cost except petrol

ah, true dedication to the cause!! are you now PIA's roving reporter?

thanks for going out of your way ... 8/10 isnt bad!!

sue :notworthy:

Guest nurse sue
You mean you haven't got one of those lovely tartan wheely trolleys yet Mandy!??!! We got one of the wire basket ones (that you put your green bags in) as I flatly refused anything in tartan!

D

this made me smile - when i was backpacking round aus in the mid 90's I stayed with freinds id made back in the uk - as there were 4 of us sharing a house, and we all worked shifts, we'd make a list and one of us would fetch the shopping .... and we had a wicker basket on wheels to cart it all back in :biglaugh:

Guest graandjac

:)The Markets are great and have a good buzzy vibe, and the best bit is the grotty little chinese cafe that does fanbloodytastic food;),its great.